Poll for Pick #5

adam

With the 5th overall pick, the Kansas City Chiefs select?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Kansas City select with the 5th overall pick?

• Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio St.
    • Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
    • Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
    • Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St
    • Branden Albert, OL, Virginia
    • Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
    • Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
    • Keith Rivers, LB, USC
    • Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
    • Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

The trade of Allen means the Chiefs target 3 positions at 5 (QB/OT/DE). The sleeper could be Matt Ryan as the Chiefs clearly are not big believers in Croyle. However, the Chiefs have an even bigger need on the oline and the dline (and the oline is what you have to have before you can truly develop/evaluate offensive players such as Croyle).

The key is there is a stud DE on the board who wouldn't be a reach at 5 and therefor I think after thinking heavily over Albert (who has just shot up all the draft boards) the Chiefs realize that the quality of lineman available at 17 (Minnesota's pick which is now the Chiefs) will be similar to what Albert grades out at while the defensive ends available at 17 will have a lot less upside as Gholston.

But is Gholston a fit for them? Every team I have seen in the talks for Gholston (Mia, NYJ, NE) all play the 3-4, which everyone seems to believe is how he best fits. I do not see KC drafting him, as his value/grade in a 4-3 defense is simply no where close to what it is in a 3-4.

Imagine we had a top 5 pick, and there was this stud DT on the board, but he was a Ted Washington type. 340lb DT that no one could run on, who could collapse the pocket, but was not a gap shooter. He may be a top 5 pick on most teams boards, but to a team like us that used a cover 2 D, I doubt he would even be a top 15 value.

I agree KC would love to grab a defensive player, but assuming Long and Dorsey are gone, I just do not see it. Frankly, I think KC traded down. Assuming the draft goes: Long, Long, Dorsey, Mcfadden, I think KC trades w/ a team looking to get Ryan, like Baltimore, or a team wanting Gholston, like NY (they may pick next, but could move a spot to ensure another team doesn't move). Point is, they move down.

I think they eventually take Albert. Ideal fit for their system. Fits a huge need. No DL player fit their system and is a value. Take Albert now, and a guy like Harvey later.

I'll go with Gholston. The Chiefs are high on Croyle, so no to Ryan. And they apparently really like Otah, but he'd likely be around at 17. CB is an option, and their preference is still probably to trade down, but Gholston would be a good fit for their Cover 2 D.