PFT on Bears draft needs

madlithuanian

I think they cover everything.

The way I look at it: If the season started today, do we have decent starters at every position?

We have our CBs back that started the last few years. Are they old and have injuries questions, of course, but if the season started today we have competence at all positions.

S? we brought in a few people, as of today our starters would be Conte(coming back from injury) and Mundy at the SS position. I think we need a starter here, if Conte comes back strong, we might be ok, but we cant answer that. One S needs to be added to the mix that could start.

DE- we have starters and depth, so would not need to address this position at all.

DT- we have starters and little depth. We definitely need to add here.I think the age and injury concerns makes this a strong consideration everywhere in the draft.

LB- We have starters but little depth, we have to add here. We have an aging former all pro,who's a pud, but when good on the field is a big contributer. He is not all the way back from injury which could change everything we do.

So we need a high round pick at S,DT,CB, and LB. I think we take the best players on the board that fills those needs.

S-HaHa,Pryor,Ward, and Pryor are the only potenial first day starter in the draft. I would like one of them, which would have to be in the first two rounds.

DT- There is some depth in the draft here so in any of the first 4 rounds , I would be ok with who ever we got.

CB- We need to add youth and depth, as SCS as stated, there is depth at this position, so we could get prospects anywhere in the first 5 rounds.

LB- We only need a MLB prospect because I believe our starters at the OLB spots are on the team. This is marginal but we could get a potenial starter thru the first 4 rounds.

If Donald is there, I think that is our choice. Personally I think he will be gone. Everybody else in the league sees what we see.

I think our first pick will be a S or Mosely. Why I keep bringing up MLB spot is , he would start from day one and be a leader and take us into the next Bears LB to fuss over.

1-Mosely/LB

So at two we take Ward or Bucannon.

3rd with the depth at CB I think we grab our DT here, names to consider Quarles,Ferguson,Jones, Johnson.

4th- here is where we grab a CB-Desir is a name that keeps coming up, also Gaines, Reynolds,Huff, Exum

5th-we grab a RB, names to look at White,Johnson,Grice, or Crowell

6th round gets us QB and TE prospects, I like Wennings and Lyerla here.

Mosely ends up being our suprise pick of which Im sure most dont agree with, but I will grow to love it as will you.

Yeah this pretty much covers what we've been saying really. PFT did make one mistake saying, "They need to add a talented defensive tackle to add to the current rotation of Tracy Robertson, Stephen Paea, and Jay Ratliff . . . " I'm sitting here thinking "Who the hell is Tracy Robertson?" He's listed as a defensive end who was a rookie with Miami last season. He was cut at some point and played in one game with the Bears (week 12 vs. St. Louis) and recorded no stats.

But I agree, when you look at weaknesses on other teams, comparitively, the Bears have promising options at all positions.

I will disagree with you about the need for our linebacker position. We have a really nice mixture of really old guys who are good when healthy and motivated (DJ Williams and Lance Briggs) young players with promise that we've drafted in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th rounds in the past 2 years (Shea, Bostic, and Greene) and a veteran special teams ace is Jordan Senn. I don't see any of those guys not making that team.

I think they cover everything.

The way I look at it: If the season started today, do we have decent starters at every position?

We have our CBs back that started the last few years. Are they old and have injuries questions, of course, but if the season started today we have competence at all positions.

S? we brought in a few people, as of today our starters would be Conte(coming back from injury) and Mundy at the SS position. I think we need a starter here, if Conte comes back strong, we might be ok, but we cant answer that. One S needs to be added to the mix that could start.

DE- we have starters and depth, so would not need to address this position at all.

DT- we have starters and little depth. We definitely need to add here.I think the age and injury concerns makes this a strong consideration everywhere in the draft.

LB- We have starters but little depth, we have to add here. We have an aging former all pro,who's a pud, but when good on the field is a big contributer. He is not all the way back from injury which could change everything we do.

So we need a high round pick at S,DT,CB, and LB. I think we take the best players on the board that fills those needs.

S-HaHa,Pryor,Ward, and Pryor are the only potenial first day starter in the draft. I would like one of them, which would have to be in the first two rounds.

DT- There is some depth in the draft here so in any of the first 4 rounds , I would be ok with who ever we got.

CB- We need to add youth and depth, as SCS as stated, there is depth at this position, so we could get prospects anywhere in the first 5 rounds.

LB- We only need a MLB prospect because I believe our starters at the OLB spots are on the team. This is marginal but we could get a potenial starter thru the first 4 rounds.

If Donald is there, I think that is our choice. Personally I think he will be gone. Everybody else in the league sees what we see.

I think our first pick will be a S or Mosely. Why I keep bringing up MLB spot is , he would start from day one and be a leader and take us into the next Bears LB to fuss over.

1-Mosely/LB

So at two we take Ward or Bucannon.

3rd with the depth at CB I think we grab our DT here, names to consider Quarles,Ferguson,Jones, Johnson.

4th- here is where we grab a CB-Desir is a name that keeps coming up, also Gaines, Reynolds,Huff, Exum

5th-we grab a RB, names to look at White,Johnson,Grice, or Crowell

6th round gets us QB and TE prospects, I like Wennings and Lyerla here.

Mosely ends up being our suprise pick of which Im sure most dont agree with, but I will grow to love it as will you.

Yeah this pretty much covers what we've been saying really. PFT did make one mistake saying, "They need to add a talented defensive tackle to add to the current rotation of Tracy Robertson, Stephen Paea, and Jay Ratliff . . . " I'm sitting here thinking "Who the hell is Tracy Robertson?" He's listed as a defensive end who was a rookie with Miami last season. He was cut at some point and played in one game with the Bears (week 12 vs. St. Louis) and recorded no stats.

But I agree, when you look at weaknesses on other teams, comparitively, the Bears have promising options at all positions.

I will disagree with you about the need for our linebacker position. We have a really nice mixture of really old guys who are good when healthy and motivated (DJ Williams and Lance Briggs) young players with promise that we've drafted in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th rounds in the past 2 years (Shea, Bostic, and Greene) and a veteran special teams ace is Jordan Senn. I don't see any of those guys not making that team.

When I stated little depth for LB I should have unproven. Briggs, is a staple IF HEALTHY, and with Williams, and Bostic and SCM for the sam , were ok. but that all falls to shit,if Williams gets hurt again(hasnt played a full season since 2010)., and Briggs never recovers from the surgery he had last year. I suppose if we do draft Mosely, if will tell us that the Briggs situation is more questionably than we thought.

Still don't think we should sleep on Khaseem Greene as a quality backup, I have higher hopes for him than I do SMC, and I think SMC will be serviceable.

IMO we're 5 deep at LB, which should be enough. I've grown ok with Mosely (I swear I heard earlier on that he was bad in coverage but I've been reading otherwise now) but I'm only taking him if Donald/HHCD/Pryor/Gilbert/Denard are all gone and even then I'd like to trade down for Hageman/Tuitt.

Still don't think we should sleep on Khaseem Greene as a quality backup, I have higher hopes for him than I do SMC, and I think SMC will be serviceable.

IMO we're 5 deep at LB, which should be enough. I've grown ok with Mosely (I swear I heard earlier on that he was bad in coverage but I've been reading otherwise now) but I'm only taking him if Donald/HHCD/Pryor/Gilbert/Denard are all gone and even then I'd like to trade down for Hageman/Tuitt.

Im with Donald, but I know he wont be there. either safety or I want Mosely, he is a stud LB, will enhance any team he goes too. Why CB when you have been selling the depth theory?

So if Greene, Bostic and SCM are our LBers , your good with that? Briggs has issues, Williams is an injury waiting to happen. I think Mosely is a potential, all star type LB, only Bostic has any inclination of that happening and that will be at Briggs spot.

Im with Donald, but I know he wont be there. either safety or I want Mosely, he is a stud LB, will enhance any team he goes too. Why CB when you have been selling the depth theory?

So if Greene, Bostic and SCM are our LBers , your good with that? Briggs has issues, Williams is an injury waiting to happen. I think Mosely is a potential, all star type LB, only Bostic has any inclination of that happening and that will be at Briggs spot.

I'm fine with Mosely, but like mentioned before I would prefer Donald, Dix, and Pryor before. Shutdown corners are a premium, thats why I think you take one before a LB.

I think the difference between LB and CB is Mosely vs Bostic and Gilbert vs Frey... I have 3 guys ahead of Gilbert/Denard because I'd really like to wait, but if those 3 guys are gone then I'd have to consider taking one of those uber CBs. If somehow all 5 are gone then maybe I'd consider Mosely.

Briggs will be fine, you're really overstating the whole injury thing. The article that got you talking came out like a month ago and he was already working out with heavy weights. The season is months away, there's no reason to think he'll miss any time.

I believe you've said it before yourself you can't pick based on potential injuries.

I will say that I don't absolutely hate the idea now, but I still love the potential of Bostic and Greene.

I think the difference between LB and CB is Mosely vs Bostic and Gilbert vs Frey... I have 3 guys ahead of Gilbert/Denard because I'd really like to wait, but if those 3 guys are gone then I'd have to consider taking one of those uber CBs. If somehow all 5 are gone then maybe I'd consider Mosely.

Briggs will be fine, you're really overstating the whole injury thing. The article that got you talking came out like a month ago and he was already working out with heavy weights. The season is months away, there's no reason to think he'll miss any time.

I believe you've said it before yourself you can't pick based on potential injuries.

I will say that I don't absolutely hate the idea now, but I still love the potential of Bostic and Greene.

I guarantee you, Mosely will have a impact over any CB drafted on our team THIS year. A CB will see some time but will not be playing ahead of Tillman or Jennings.

I guarantee you, Mosely will have a impact over any CB drafted on our team THIS year. A CB will see some time but will not be playing ahead of Tillman or Jennings.

I don't disagree but I'm comparing the difference in talent levels... There's less of a drop off between Bostic vs Mosely than there is between Gilbert/Denard vs Frey. The bigger upgrade is at CB, and last year the #3 CB played 50% of the snaps(Remember Bowman came in when Tillman went down, not Frey).

Plus Mosely's injury history scares me.

It's your pick in the draft BTW.

You're right about that. In terms of who will play more snaps, a rookie MLB like Mosely will definitely play more than a rookie DB, whoever it is. The same can be said about Safety, however, more than LB. A rookie Safety like HHCD or Pryor starts day one without a doubt.

Linebackers: Briggs, Bostic, McClellin, Greene, Williams (That's a solid rotation)

Safeties: Conte, Mundy, Steltz, Jennings (i.e. hot garbage)

Strong as you're weakest link...

If HHCD or Pryor is there, the FS depth in this draft is not great. And it's definitely not as strong as DT. The first pick should be FS.

You're right about that. In terms of who will play more snaps, a rookie MLB like Mosely will definitely play more than a rookie DB, whoever it is. The same can be said about Safety, however, more than LB. A rookie Safety like HHCD or Pryor starts day one without a doubt.

Linebackers: Briggs, Bostic, McClellin, Greene, Williams (That's a solid rotation)

If HHCD or Pryor is there, the FS depth in this draft is not great. And it's definitely not as strong as DT. The first pick should be FS.

Agreed 100%.

Peace :dabears

At the start of the 2015 season, Phil Emery would LOVE to see a starting linebacker trio of Bostic, Green, and Shea. That's not realistic and won't happen. But I think there's a decent chance that in another year, two of those 3 could have proven enough to start. That's why I don't think we will draft a linebacker in round #1. We have good veterans in front of them and we want to see more of what they can do.

I have a strong desire for Pryor and have been pining for him for some time, but I see an all pro MLB type making an impact on our team, and we can still get Ward or Bucannon in the second. I think all four of them are starters the first year, at least on this team.

If we go by best player available, I honestly think Haha and Donald are already gone, so he could arguably be the best defensive player on the board. I think Gilbert will be a good player, but dont think he will be the stud play maker everybody projects him to be.

I don't disagree but I'm comparing the difference in talent levels... There's less of a drop off between Bostic vs Mosely than there is between Gilbert/Denard vs Frey. The bigger upgrade is at CB, and last year the #3 CB played 50% of the snaps(Remember Bowman came in when Tillman went down, not Frey).

Plus Mosely's injury history scares me.

It's your pick in the draft BTW.

He had minor injuries so I dont think that will come into play, but you do make a good point. Where our conflict comes into play, is I think Bostic ends up in Briggs spot and flourishes there. The scenario comes into to play, that could be this year.Briggs has a lingering issue, 6 months after the fact. He was cleared to play,but he was invisible.

He had minor injuries so I dont think that will come into play, but you do make a good point. Where our conflict comes into play, is I think Bostic ends up in Briggs spot and flourishes there. The scenario comes into to play, that could be this year.Briggs has a lingering issue, 6 months after the fact. He was cleared to play,but he was invisible.

You're in the minority in writing Briggs off that soon. In his career, that's the first extended injury he has sustained. Before the injury (Detroit game?) he was easily the best defensive player on the team. Yes, Briggs looked terrible upon his return. I expect his spare tire to be gone and he will be back to his old self.

You're in the minority in writing Briggs off that soon. In his career, that's the first extended injury he has sustained. Before the injury (Detroit game?) he was easily the best defensive player on the team. Yes, Briggs looked terrible upon his return. I expect his spare tire to be gone and he will be back to his old self.

I suspect your right, its a contract year so we will see the hustling Briggs that wants a new contract.

If the defensive players that best fit our needs are gone then there is someone very good on offense sitting there. However, I can't see a scenario where all 3 of Pryor, HHCD, and Donald are gone. If they are then there is likely a good trade down scenario forming for either a QB, LT, or WR.