Question to our resident college gurus...

madlithuanian

I'm not big on the need of a LB, but he would be towards the bottom of my RD3 players I would target.

Same here. But if Phil sees otherwise, which I'm not saying isn't possible, Borland would be down on my list as well.

I think he's a 3-4 ILB meaning I don't think he'd hold up in coverage as a 4-3 ILB.

We saw last year with the signings of DJ, Anderson, and the drafting of Bostic and Greene that Phil likes speed at LB....Borland doesn't bring that.

If the defense stays the same, I'm not a huge fan. He speed/athleticism pretty much demands that he stays at MLB, but the deep-middle coverage requirements for a MLB in this system would be a stretch for him.

Now, if the Bears required less deep-middle coverage of their MLBs, then I'm all in favor of him as a 3rd round pick. He's a football player with a nose for the ball.

Thanks.

My biggest concern watching film was his height.

If the defense stays the same, I'm not a huge fan. He speed/athleticism pretty much demands that he stays at MLB, but the deep-middle coverage requirements for a MLB in this system would be a stretch for him.

Now, if the Bears required less deep-middle coverage of their MLBs, then I'm all in favor of him as a 3rd round pick. He's a football player with a nose for the ball.

What do you think of this fella?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCbBmcxmFHY

Potentially a 3rd, 4th round guy?

Like is style of play. Good ball player. Comes from a good well coached program. 4.8 forty is pretty slow for MLB but I would take a quick MLB over a fast but not quick MLB anyday. Not sure how is quickness drills compared to other MLB.

If the guy fell in the draft I wouldn't mind taking him but that all depends on what the Bears addressed prior

What do you think of this fella?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCbBmcxmFHY

Potentially a 3rd, 4th round guy?

Every year there are (football players) that dont get there accolades because of the premium people put on the athletic traits of a player. There's many more examples where the (football player) has made it in the NFL instead of the stud athletic. We do need to add a MLB to the mix. Williams can fill the position but hasnt been a full time starter since 2011 due to injuries and suspensions.Lets say Briggs is still hurt and cant start. Can we feel good if Bostic, Williams and SCM are our starters on day 1 one of the season? S and then DT are our major needs, but dont discount our need at LB. If the surprise pic that Emery delivers to us this year is Mosely with our first pick, it will not be received well by this group.I will have no problem with that pic. I think he will be a tackle machine for years to come, and once the rest of you see him play for a year, there will be tons of fans on this site. I think we need to go S first for the sake of a weak class, and as Emery stated he wants to draft a starter with that first pick. A CB as a high pick wont start day one unless there is injury. DT will be a rotational guy, Safety almost is a guarantee, but a MLB could fill that spot. Borland would be a sneaky good pick in the 3rd or 4th round, but Mosely is the only bonified starter we could draft and that could be the first day.

Good points.

I really have no issue with any defensive player taken. We have holes on every line. Front, middle and back. I just want the first 2 picks to be bonafide starters and one be a potentially pro bowl level player. If we can hit on the third pick, that would be outstanding! With the rest, if we can get solid rotation guys or ST players...man, what a draft!

Every year there are (football players) that dont get there accolades because of the premium people put on the athletic traits of a player. There's many more examples where the (football player) has made it in the NFL instead of the stud athletic. We do need to add a MLB to the mix. Williams can fill the position but hasnt been a full time starter since 2011 due to injuries and suspensions.Lets say Briggs is still hurt and cant start. Can we feel good if Bostic, Williams and SCM are our starters on day 1 one of the season? S and then DT are our major needs, but dont discount our need at LB. If the surprise pic that Emery delivers to us this year is Mosely with our first pick, it will not be received well by this group.I will have no problem with that pic. I think he will be a tackle machine for years to come, and once the rest of you see him play for a year, there will be tons of fans on this site. I think we need to go S first for the sake of a weak class, and as Emery stated he wants to draft a starter with that first pick. A CB as a high pick wont start day one unless there is injury. DT will be a rotational guy, Safety almost is a guarantee, but a MLB could fill that spot. Borland would be a sneaky good pick in the 3rd or 4th round, but Mosely is the only bonified starter we could draft and that could be the first day.

Not that I consider myself one of the gurus but I'll jump in anyway. I like him but agree with others: he appears to be more quick than fast. It is nice to see a college player with solid tackling skills for once. I watched his game against ASU, a team I know fairly well. You can see he's a good player between the hash marks. Once he gets into space for coverage players start moving past him so for our scheme that could be a big liability. If he can use his quickness to get around a block, which he's very good at doing, he's good but if a blocker gets on him he's another SMC. I don't think we'd take him in the 3rd, at least I don't like that idea as I like to see 3rd Rd picks with a little more athleticism to be starters once they develop. In the 3rd Rd, given our needs I'd be ok, but if he drops into the 4th Rd very good value. He is likely a very good specials teams player. In a 3-4 with less coverage responsibility he may have more success. OTOH, depending on how SMC and Bostic develop we could use him as a 2 down MLB... but at the moment that's a whole lot of If's.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/chris-borl...rizona-st-2013/

I have no problems if the Bears see Mosely as a long term answer to making this d dominant again. I also would like to see if Bostic, Shea, and Greene can develop. Regardless, we will need depth, especially after this season. I also think our d will have a different feel to it next season. We will see different fronts and more blitzes, and I think 4 LBs on the field at times. I think that is why we are eyeing Barr if he falls as an option.

Lance Briggs is not going to be hurt to start the year. There's just no reason to believe that right now.

Briggs needs to be healthy for us to be legitimate on defense.His health has been brought up before. Actually the shoulder not being up to par came from his mouth in an interview. As you stated before, he was cleared to play and play like dog shit he did. There is plenty of time for him to get where he needs to be but it does raise the question of when he falls off the ladder,physically. He is at that age where it can be overnight. With all we have added to the defense so far, LB doesnt have much depth. With Williams injury history and poor play of the rookies, Briggs needs to be playing for a new contract, and I hope he is what he use to be. Our first two picks need to be S and DT in any order. S is a weaker position so Im up for Pryor. I honestly dont think Donald will be there, you have the Giants, Dallas moving up, and dont put it past Lovie to grab Donald. If the QBs dont get a run on early, we are talking about Gilbert,Donald and HaHa being gone. There is no other DT worthy of 14, if we trade back, Hageman, Truitt come into play. I dont see Jerringan as a viable valve at 14.

I think we end up trading back and grab,hopefully Pryor,or a Ward,possibly Bucannon late in the round. I think by the time 51 gets there the only 4 potential starters at S will be gone. You like the 5-8 safety, but I dont think he is a starter. The only other way we may go for a starting S is grab a CB/S like McGill,Exum or a Huff that could be a later round surprise that could play there.

Not that I consider myself one of the gurus but I'll jump in anyway. I like him but agree with others: he appears to be more quick than fast. It is nice to see a college player with solid tackling skills for once. I watched his game against ASU, a team I know fairly well. You can see he's a good player between the hash marks. Once he gets into space for coverage players start moving past him so for our scheme that could be a big liability. If he can use his quickness to get around a block, which he's very good at doing, he's good but if a blocker gets on him he's another SMC. I don't think we'd take him in the 3rd, at least I don't like that idea as I like to see 3rd Rd picks with a little more athleticism to be starters once they develop. In the 3rd Rd, given our needs I'd be ok, but if he drops into the 4th Rd very good value. He is likely a very good specials teams player. In a 3-4 with less coverage responsibility he may have more success. OTOH, depending on how SMC and Bostic develop we could use him as a 2 down MLB... but at the moment that's a whole lot of If's.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/chris-borl...rizona-st-2013/

I watched 3 games of Borland, he didnt stand out for me. Im changing my position on him. I think I would rather see a more athletic player for that spot Zumwalt or a Bullough. Mosely is the best MLB in the draft.

I've read all the responses and believe that Borland is a better prospect if limited to one side of the field. WTBS Jerrnigan is a viable option as well as the 2 safety prospects at 14 and if Mosley is taken because he is the BDPA so be it. All that does is put some pressure on pick 2 and that would definitely need to be a DT or S. We also need to expect marked improvement from the Isiah Rider young LBs including SMC because there is nowhere to go but up for him. BTW don't fall asleep on the prospect of Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Denard being a pick also. When do you pick Tillman's replacement now or next year?