ILBs

jason

Can the Bears wait until the 4th round to get a capable ILB this year? There seems to be a lot of names I'd be content with at that point of the draft:

Shayne Skov

Christian Jones

Chris Borland

Max Bullough

Yawin Smallwood

Given the depth at DT and ILB, I'm even more convinced the Bears should target HHCD or Pryor in the first round, then get their DT in the second. The third round can be a BPA situation. And I think one of the names above will be there in the fourth.

I'm not a fan of any of em really. IF they take a LB I'd rather grab a guy like Lamin Barrow or Avery Williamson in the 5th. If I had to take one of em I'd go Christian Jones, but I'm not sure he'll hang at ILB.

Really?! You'd take Lamin Barrow over Skov, Jones, or Borland? No way.

Skov is a machine, 6'3", 245, a little slow at 5.09, but has great anticipation and very good strength (28 reps).

Jones is 6'3", 240, an athletic freak, damn fast for his size (4.68), and has great upside.

Chris Borland is a stockier LB at 6' and 248, but he's faster than Skov and plugs virtually every hole.

But you'd take Lamin Barrow? Is it just the 40 time? Barrow reminds me of Daniel Manning, a guy with all the tools except the brain to use them. Fast and strong, but in the wrong location and never maximizing full potential. Gimme the Skov and Borland types for ILB all day over the Barrow's of the world.

Really?! You'd take Lamin Barrow over Skov, Jones, or Borland? No way.

Skov is a machine, 6'3", 245, a little slow at 5.09, but has great anticipation and very good strength (28 reps).

Jones is 6'3", 240, an athletic freak, damn fast for his size (4.68), and has great upside.

Chris Borland is a stockier LB at 6' and 248, but he's faster than Skov and plugs virtually every hole.

But you'd take Lamin Barrow? Is it just the 40 time? Barrow reminds me of Daniel Manning, a guy with all the tools except the brain to use them. Fast and strong, but in the wrong location and never maximizing full potential. Gimme the Skov and Borland types for ILB all day over the Barrow's of the world.

I'll respond to that post with this post....

If the defense stays the same, I'm not a huge fan. He speed/athleticism pretty much demands that he stays at MLB, but the deep-middle coverage requirements for a MLB in this system would be a stretch for him.

Now, if the Bears required less deep-middle coverage of their MLBs, then I'm all in favor of him as a 3rd round pick. He's a football player with a nose for the ball.

That was your response to MadLith asking about Borland.

I do like Jones, but I'd rather wait a bit if they draft a LB at all.

But I'm saying all this as a Bostic fan. I think in front of a better DL he'll be better than any LB not named CJ Mosely in the draft.

I'll respond to that post with this post....

That was your response to MadLith asking about Borland.

I do like Jones, but I'd rather wait a bit if they draft a LB at all.

But I'm saying all this as a Bostic fan. I think in front of a better DL he'll be better than any LB not named CJ Mosely in the draft.

Touche. Although, the other post doesn't factor in intelligence or instinct. I guess when it comes down to it, I'd rather have a Borland-type, with his physical limitations, than a Daniel Manning-type, with his mental limitations. Instinct can often overcome athletic limitations, but sooner or later mental limitations hurt more (IMO).

Can the Bears wait until the 4th round to get a capable ILB this year? There seems to be a lot of names I'd be content with at that point of the draft: Shayne Skov Christian Jones Chris Borland Max Bullough Yawin Smallwood Given the depth at DT and ILB, I'm even more convinced the Bears should target HHCD or Pryor in the first round, then get their DT in the second. The third round can be a BPA situation. And I think one of the names above will be there in the fourth.

I would add S DEONE BUCANNON to the first round possibilities, he looks like a beast!

I would add S DEONE BUCANNON to the first round possibilities, he looks like a beast!

I watched a couple of his games last night. I do like how he plays and you always know when he arrives. He doesn't seem to have the sudden quickness, or perhaps he's not as quick diagnosing plays. that HHCD or Pryor have but he's still fast. Plus he's 6' 1" versus Pryor being 5' 11" which should help in coverage.