Clueless Hub Arkush Column in the Sun-Times

dawhizz

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-nfl-draft.html

I don't even know where to begin, except to say that if Hub could find a ranking or mock draft down in the last month that has Aaron Donald ranked 40th, I will give him $1000. Ditto for one that has a RB with a top 20 ranking. As for "biting the bullet" and going offense over defense despite need, rather thatn "reaching" for the 19th best player at pick 14, I can't even.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-nfl-draft.html

I don't even know where to begin, except to say that if Hub could find a ranking or mock draft down in the last month that has Aaron Donald ranked 40th, I will give him $1000. Ditto for one that has a RB with a top 20 ranking. As for "biting the bullet" and going offense over defense despite need, rather thatn "reaching" for the 19th best player at pick 14, I can't even.

I dont agree with a lot of things he says but he is not clueless. He was talking about how bad the Bears WRs were two years before anyone else was saying it.

He doenst like Donald because he is small. If he is a stud pass rusher, no one will care if he is lacking in run defense. The valve thing is stupid because he assessment on valve is compromised because of draft guides he was pushing. He thought Long was a huge reach he has since recanted but that shows you all valuations has flaws. We dont draft a OT because one of the top 3 dropped to us. We are not in need at that position and there has to be stud D player on the board of equal valve . TE is the one position where if we grabbed Ebron, I wouldnt be complaining. He is a stud and adding another weapon to our offense could only make good things happen. BUT Im not pining for that. I all in on one of these 3 Donald,Pryor,and Haha. I have a secret wish to draft Mosley but that is because I have been spoiled with the likes of Butkus,Urlacher and the many of other stout MLBs we have had along the way. I cant see me being un happy with our pick at 14 any way he goes, but then Im easy.Most of you arent.

Dude, you're killing me. I let it go before but in this post alone you used the word "valve" three times when you meant value. Please stop doing that.

I will try to watch that, Im a plumber, valve comes into play much more that value in my life and I dont proof read my threads all the time.

I actually agree with Hub on Donald, and on the Bears supposed "need" for DT. I've said it from the very beginning that DT is not a very strong need on this team compared to other positions. They have depth at DT with Ratliff, Collins, and Lamar Houston. Meanwhile, they have no starters at safety, they have one reliable LB'er, and need youth at the Corner position to take over for when Tillman goes down again. They have no backup TE or backup RB on offense.

I dont agree with a lot of things he says but he is not clueless. He was talking about how bad the Bears WRs were two years before anyone else was saying it.

He doenst like Donald because he is small. If he is a stud pass rusher, no one will care if he is lacking in run defense. The valve thing is stupid because he assessment on valve is compromised because of draft guides he was pushing. He thought Long was a huge reach he has since recanted but that shows you all valuations has flaws. We dont draft a OT because one of the top 3 dropped to us. We are not in need at that position and there has to be stud D player on the board of equal valve. TE is the one position where if we grabbed Ebron, I wouldnt be complaining. He is a stud and adding another weapon to our offense could only make good things happen. BUT Im not pining for that. I all in on one of these 3 Donald,Pryor,and Haha. I have a secret wish to draft Mosley but that is because I have been spoiled with the likes of Butkus,Urlacher and the many of other stout MLBs we have had along the way. I cant see me being un happy with our pick at 14 any way he goes, but then Im easy.Most of you arent.

Sorry, but if the draft plays out like below, and Matthews is there, the Bears should absolutely take Matthews and tell Mills, "Tough luck."

HOU Clowney

STL Robinson

JAX Manziel

CLE Bortles

OAK Watkins

ATL Mack

TB Lewan

MIN HHCD

BUF Evans

DET Barr

TEN Dennard

NYG Donald

STL Pryor

This could happen. If TB likes Lewan more than Matthews, the only teams likely to pick an OT are Buffalo and Detroit. Buffalo needs WR help, and Cordy Glenn is their LT for a while. Detroit is a threat to take Matthews, but their D needs much more help than their O. That's why they would likely go with Barr. St. Louis is also another potential, but they'd be unlikely to draft two OLinemen with two first round picks in the same draft.

If a LT like Matthews falls take him. Long term that is the right decision. However, if that happens I believe we'll have good trade down opportunities.

Agreed, there will be good trade down opportunities. For a guy like Matthews, however, who I view to be a ten-year bookend, it better be a damn good deal. Maybe even requiring a future first rounder.

Agreed, there will be good trade down opportunities. For a guy like Matthews, however, who I view to be a ten-year bookend, it better be a damn good deal. Maybe even requiring a future first rounder.

You put Matthews on this line Jay has 5 seconds to survey the field and Forte runs and catches for 3,000 yards. Who needs a defense! :)

I think we go safety in the first but who the hell knows.

This is ironic. Last year we were screamin' for OL and now we talk about passing a potential great one when we should add some depth at that position. Here is how I view things. If you can control the time of possession that also helps the defense by keeping them off the field. Taking Ebron or Matthews could help with that idea and wouldn't shock me but that is not my preference.

Second thought is that if anyone thinks that you can rely on Ratliff, Paea and Collins who all have injury histories right now whether its ACL,Hamstring or feet. That puts you in the same category as last year where they will be forced to play a player out of position (Wooten last yr and Houston this yr).

You put Matthews on this line Jay has 5 seconds to survey the field and Forte runs and catches for 3,000 yards. Who needs a defense! :)

I think we go safety in the first but who the hell knows.

It's something they have to consider. Does Matthews take the Bears to a position where they can score 30 every game guaranteed? If so, the defense will certainly suffer, but the injuries last year might make them think that they will improve this year simply because of better health. Conversely, adding a defensive stud, no matter how good, is unlikely to move the Bears' defensive ranking much this year.

I'm an OL fan, obviously, and I'd be giddy if they did something like that.

It's something they have to consider. Does Matthews take the Bears to a position where they can score 30 every game guaranteed? If so, the defense will certainly suffer, but the injuries last year might make them think that they will improve this year simply because of better health. Conversely, adding a defensive stud, no matter how good, is unlikely to move the Bears' defensive ranking much this year.

I'm an OL fan, obviously, and I'd be giddy if they did something like that.

What's so cool about eveyone's responses is that we don't have a clue what Emery will do. I think thats a good thing. If Matthews is there I'd have to have some team give up smost of this year's and and part of next year's draft to not take him. Last year if he had come out he could possibly have gone #1 overall.