Emery vs. Angelo

jason

Going into this draft I think about Emery+Trestman vs. Angelo+Lovie.

If it were still Angelo and Lovie, I'd wonder a few things:

1) Would Lovie be making all the picks but one like usual?

2) Would he be ignoring his scouts and overall team needs to placate a coach?

3) Which pool-jumping dickhead is on his radar?

4) Which small school DB are they enamored with?

With Emery and Trestman, I don't feel like that. I feel like they've done their due diligence and are going to draft the BPA at position of need unless BPA is too ridiculous to pass. Just look at the last two drafts:

2012 w/ Lovie

1-Shea McClellin - The obvious need was OL (Riley Reiff and David DeCastro available), yet they went with McClellin. This reeks of Lovie.

2-Alshon Jeffery - Great pick that pleased just about everyone on the board, but OL was still the #1 need and there were guys like Konz, Mike Adams, and Kelechi Osemele available.

3-Brandon Hardin - Didn't look like a bad pick at the time, but it also looked like a Lovie decision. Meanwhile, OL still #1 need.

4-Evan Rodriguez - This looked like an Emery pick that never got a chance to take hold because of Lovie and his offensive leanings as a HC. Meanwhile, OL still #1 need and Bobby Massie was picked one pick later.

6-Isaiah Frey - Lovie pick.

7-Greg McCoy - Lovie pick.

2013 w/o Lovie

1-Kyle Long - Definitely a need + BPA pick that fits with Emery's "superb athlete" comments

2-Jon Bostic - Same thing as Long. Bostic had/has intagibles.

4-Khaseem Greene - Good athlete with great coverage/zone/recognition abilities, moves like a safety

5-Jordan Mills - What we've seen from Emery is, if there is a need, he's going to flood that need with help (also see the DE position this offseason). Mills is powerful and athletic for his size. Fits Emery's M.O.

6-Cornelius Washington - What was I saying about flooding a need? Three LBs in one draft. This screams Emery.

7-Marquess Wilson - Troubled, but extremely athletic and poses a matchup issue.

With that said, I think we'll see two safeties drafted this year. It's the biggest position of need. Further, I believe Emery is less inclined to listen to a coach - see the nonsense about Clint Hurtt's Louisville connection to Pryor - than JA was. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Bears started with two Safeties given Emery's propensities. Maybe HHCD in round 1 and Deone Bucannon in round 2?

With Emery and Trestman, I don't feel like that. I feel like they've done their due diligence and are going to draft the BPA at position of need unless BPA is too ridiculous to pass. Just look at the last two drafts:

2012 w/ Lovie

1-Shea McClellin - The obvious need was OL (Riley Reiff and David DeCastro available), yet they went with McClellin. This reeks of Lovie.

2-Alshon Jeffery - Great pick that pleased just about everyone on the board, but OL was still the #1 need and there were guys like Konz, Mike Adams, and Kelechi Osemele available.

3-Brandon Hardin - Didn't look like a bad pick at the time, but it also looked like a Lovie decision. Meanwhile, OL still #1 need.

4-Evan Rodriguez - This looked like an Emery pick that never got a chance to take hold because of Lovie and his offensive leanings as a HC. Meanwhile, OL still #1 need and Bobby Massie was picked one pick later.

2013 w/o Lovie

1-Kyle Long - Definitely a need + BPA pick that fits with Emery's "superb athlete" comments

4-Khaseem Greene - Good athlete with great coverage/zone/recognition abilities, moves like a safety

5-Jordan Mills - What we've seen from Emery is, if there is a need, he's going to flood that need with help (also see the DE position this offseason). Mills is powerful and athletic for his size. Fits Emery's M.O.

6-Cornelius Washington - What was I saying about flooding a need? Three LBs in one draft. This screams Emery.

With that said, I think we'll see two safeties drafted this year. It's the biggest position of need. Further, I believe Emery is less inclined to listen to a coach - see the nonsense about Clint Hurtt's Louisville connection to Pryor - than JA was. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Bears started with two Safeties given Emery's propensities. Maybe HHCD in round 1 and Deone Bucannon in round 2?

Thanks for making me look like a dipshit at work... everyone looks at you weird when you just randomly chuckle out loud!

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:notworthy

I needed that levity this morning!

2012 w/ Lovie

2013 w/o Lovie

I don't necessarily think Emery is less inclined to listen to Trestman, I feel like there is more of a like-mindedness between them. I feel the whole organization seems to be on the same page rather than the chaos we've had in the past. I don't think Emery and Lovie saw eye to eye, and not sure how much give/take there was in that war room. But I do feel more confident in Emery and Trestman and his staff. Which is one big reason Lovie should have been canned a year earlier so Emery could start out with his guy.

I don't necessarily think Emery is less inclined to listen to Trestman, I feel like there is more of a like-mindedness between them. I feel the whole organization seems to be on the same page rather than the chaos we've had in the past. I don't think Emery and Lovie saw eye to eye, and not sure how much give/take there was in that war room. But I do feel more confident in Emery and Trestman and his staff. Which is one big reason Lovie should have been canned a year earlier so Emery could start out with his guy.

In addition to the NFL's Hard knocks show it would be really cool if a few years after each NFL Draft the NFL would release "WAR ROOM" so that fans could have an in depth and transparent view of the reality of draft day. I want to hear the alleged phone calls to other GMs with trade opportunites as well as who made the final descision to draft player "X". Just think how great this would be to dissect during the slow part of the offseason leading upto the draft!

In addition to the NFL's Hard knocks show it would be really cool if a few years after each NFL Draft the NFL would release "WAR ROOM" so that fans could have an in depth and transparent view of the reality of draft day. I want to hear the alleged phone calls to other GMs with trade opportunites as well as who made the final descision to draft player "X". Just think how great this would be to dissect during the slow part of the offseason leading upto the draft!

There's no doubt this would be awesome but it'll never happen. It could embarrass GM's and coaches and also give away too much as to how decisions are made. I'd buy the Bears DVD for this every year but then again, so would the Packers!

So about that "good feeling"? Hmm....

So much for all the mocks. Glad they waited another month to drag this out. Hell even Manziel is still squirming waiting for someone to pick him. ROTfLMAO!

On a lighter note, perhaps the thought is now Tillman is thinking safety? Or now that Wright is gone, we see his heir apparent? Because he's a corner in college does it mean he stays a corner? We shall see...