Trade Down Option

scs787

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 28m

Jets have interest in trading up from No. 18. Teams to keep an eye on: Titans at No. 11 and Bears at No. 14. #nyj

Equal value would be a 3rd and a 6th to drop down 4 spots.

Depending on who is there, I'd love to make this happen.

I guess, but I don't see that happening.

Me neither but this is precisely the scenario I was trying to use as an example yesterday. If all three are still there and we can get something significant and still get one of them (assuming Emery rates them like we do which was your point) then we should move down.

I wouldn't if Pryor, HaHa or Donald are on the board. Otherwise, fine by me.

Haha or Pryor aren't that great of value, imo, and I'd be surprised if one of them wasn't on the board at 18. I also think you have a good chance one of the top CB's are on the board too at 18, plus potential for a LB and you are more comfortable taking one of the non Donald DT's (or further moving down and stock piling picks) knowing you still have a few DT's that you like that you can get even later in the 1st round (while acquiring additional 2nd or 3rd round picks in a deep draft).

I don't trade if Donald is on the board.

I've never been a fan of trading down.

It has worked really well for the Pats over the years. I think it is a great thing and it always worked well for Jimmy Johnson. Reality is you want to accumulate as many good players and the more top 3 round picks you have the better the chances. There are times it doesn't make sense, when you think you have an elite option there, but when you have a handful of guys grading out similarly, the upside of an additional top 3 round pick, often times is worth it, especially when you can get real creative and move a couple times. Looking at the 1st round depth at DT, I think the Bears could move down on two separate occasions and potentially get a tackle that grades out similar to what they would have taken at 14 (again this is assuming Donald is off the board).

I don't think either of the safety's available are elite picks. I like the top corners better then the top safety's, however, i won't complain if we take one and will trust what the bears do because it is a position of need.

It has worked really well for the Pats over the years. I think it is a great thing and it always worked well for Jimmy Johnson. Reality is you want to accumulate as many good players and the more top 3 round picks you have the better the chances. There are times it doesn't make sense, when you think you have an elite option there, but when you have a handful of guys grading out similarly, the upside of an additional top 3 round pick, often times is worth it, especially when you can get real creative and move a couple times. Looking at the 1st round depth at DT, I think the Bears could move down on two separate occasions and potentially get a tackle that grades out similar to what they would have taken at 14 (again this is assuming Donald is off the board).

I don't think either of the safety's available are elite picks. I like the top corners better then the top safety's, however, i won't complain if we take one and will trust what the bears do because it is a position of need.

There was a study done on this very subject, and it has been proving that moving down adding more bodies always comes out better because you have more bodies to have the chance to be good. The first round is 50-50 anyways so having 4 chances at players is better than the one big one. I'll find the link to the stats that prove this out.

Yup

I just think if there is a guy you like you take him, whether you can get him at the 10th or 20th pick. Trading down and taking a chance of losing that guy isn't worth it for a guy that will go in the third round for a reason.

In this scenario, they could trade down and still get a good player, but will they get the one they see as the best?

I wouldn't have minded a trade down when they drafted SMC, as he would likely been there. A top 15 guy is less likely.

I just think if there is a guy you like you take him, whether you can get him at the 10th or 20th pick. Trading down and taking a chance of losing that guy isn't worth it for a guy that will go in the third round for a reason.

In this scenario, they could trade down and still get a good player, but will they get the one they see as the best?

I wouldn't have minded a trade down when they drafted SMC, as he would likely been there. A top 15 guy is less likely.

I think that is why I mentioned when you have one guy on the board who you grade out well above everyone else, you don't trade down. When you have multiple guys who grade out similarly, you then trade down.

I think that is why I mentioned when you have one guy on the board who you grade out well above everyone else, you don't trade down. When you have multiple guys who grade out similarly, you then trade down.

If we could a 3rd to move down 4 spots. That would be awfully damn tempting.