Will Sutton, DT

Stinger226

Sutton is a risk pick, but 1/2 the first round picks are usually busts. I remain optimistic that is will all work out and cant wait to see this happen on the field.

I like you had other names I would prefer but do not hate our picks. I am sadden we didnt get a S, but if Fuller turns out to be the player Emery thinks he is, we did good.

Here is a statement referring to Sutton. Roll the dice and lets see what happens.

Sutton had a monster season in 2012, registering 63 tackles, 23.5 tackles for loss, 13 sacks, five pass deflections and three forced fumbles. Despite his terrific season, his weight jumped from 290 pounds to over 300 pounds, and his production steadily dropped off.

In 2013, Sutton registered just 48 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss, four sacks and three pass deflections. He lost his explosiveness because of the weight gain and likely dropped down many draft boards over concerns of whether or not he could get himself back to his 2012 weight.

These are Donalds number this last year: 59 28.5 11.0 They look quite similar to me.

As a 3rd Rd pick Sutton is not a "risk" IMO. I've watched him play a lot of games and have never seen one game where he didn't have or force several negative plays. That's against any team including perennial draft favorites USC and Oregon. There's no doubt in my mind that going all the way up to 320lbs was far too much for him. He did that 35lb weight gain in one offseason. That messes up your body, no different than when Izzy did the same thing to play DT for the Bears years ago and it didn't work. It hurt Sutton's mobility and I also think hurt his conditioning, or at least his endurance. Despite that he was still the bell cow for the ASU defense but I can say I saw him gassed and taking plays off. He fought through it and he fought through a lot of injuries. As the focus of Olines he often face double teams and sometimes took some cheap shots around his knees. I also think he has good character and never heard issues around that other than he's a locker room leader.

Here's "bad" Will Sutton against Stanford. Stanford has been producing a lot of NFL lineman in recent years so the level of competition is a realistic comparison to what he'll see in the NFL. He gets quite a few double teams throughout the game and even on those he holds his ground at the LOS. I think this is his floor, to borrow a Jerry Angelo phrase, and he's still effective in this game. Knowing we drafted a big body in Ferguson who can handle, or hopefully forces the double teams his way, will free up Sutton even more.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/will-sutto...-stanford-2013/

Here's the "good" Sutton playing at 285lbs against USC in 2012. We need the player in the middle of these two, stronger than 2012 but keep the quickness. Again, he was a Junior so that's to be expected. I'm not saying he's the next Warren Sapp. Sapp was the 12th pick overall, Sutton is a 3rd Rd pick. He's going to make plays for us (and I hate that cliche).

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/will-sutton-vs-usc-2012/

As a 3rd Rd pick Sutton is not a "risk" IMO. I've watched him play a lot of games and have never seen one game where he didn't have or force several negative plays. That's against any team including perennial draft favorites USC and Oregon. There's no doubt in my mind that going all the way up to 320lbs was far too much for him. He did that 35lb weight gain in one offseason. That messes up your body, no different than when Izzy did the same thing to play DT for the Bears years ago and it didn't work. It hurt Sutton's mobility and I also think hurt his conditioning, or at least his endurance. Despite that he was still the bell cow for the ASU defense but I can say I saw him gassed and taking plays off. He fought through it and he fought through a lot of injuries. As the focus of Olines he often face double teams and sometimes took some cheap shots around his knees. I also think he has good character and never heard issues around that other than he's a locker room leader.

Here's "bad" Will Sutton against Stanford. Stanford has been producing a lot of NFL lineman in recent years so the level of competition is a realistic comparison to what he'll see in the NFL. He gets quite a few double teams throughout the game and even on those he holds his ground at the LOS. I think this is his floor, to borrow a Jerry Angelo phrase, and he's still effective in this game. Knowing we drafted a big body in Ferguson who can handle, or hopefully forces the double teams his way, will free up Sutton even more.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/will-sutto...-stanford-2013/

Here's the "good" Sutton playing at 285lbs against USC in 2012. We need the player in the middle of these two, stronger than 2012 but keep the quickness. Again, he was a Junior so that's to be expected. I'm not saying he's the next Warren Sapp. Sapp was the 12th pick overall, Sutton is a 3rd Rd pick. He's going to make plays for us (and I hate that cliche).

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/will-sutton-vs-usc-2012/

The kid has some game, I think he will become Melton type player which will be just fine.