Brrrrroooock Vereen, S

scs787

Bears trade up and snag my guy. Love his size/speed, bloodlines, cover skills, all of it. Finally a pick I really like.

Any wrestling fans here will appreciate the drawn out Brock in the title.

Finally someone to add to the mix, lets be hopeful. Your a wrestling fan, should have figured that.

SI has him ranked as the 5th best safety...Ahead of Bucannon

5. Brock Vereen, Minnesota: Vereen, the younger brother of New England Patriots running back Shane Vereen, has moved from corner to safety and back again during his collegiate years. And it may be that his NFL future is at the cornerback position. Out of all the safety prospects in this draft class, he may have the most impressive ability to stick and stay with receivers, no matter how complex the routes get. Vereen has tremendous agility and change-of-direction skills and isn’t a pure thumper. If he stays at safety, he’d have to be a range guy, and depending on the scheme he’s in, that might rob him of the potential to make plays in the intermediate areas. But as NFL defenses move to more nickel and dime formations, hybrid defenders become more valuable, and Vereen lines up very nicely in that category.

Draft projection: Round 2/Early Round 3

Traded 5th this year and next , but also picked up a 7th this year. Real nice move by Emery. And a reason to watch the 7th round! Nawrocki had a good write up on Vereen in his draft guide.

REAL nice move. Assuming Carey is going to be a part time return man, we've officially hit all our needs.

Finally someone to add to the mix, lets be hopeful. Your a wrestling fan, should have figured that.

Ha, I actually used to be a wrestler

REAL nice move. Assuming Carey is going to be a part time return man, we've officially hit all our needs.

Doubt Carey returns kicks but I really think we already have that guy in Williams, Hixon, or Ford

But ya, love this pick.

The short arms could be an issue at the NFL level for a safety. Not ideal for covering the bigger TE's in this league. Probably nothing more than a special teams player or emergency corner/s. Although It really wouldn't be all that difficult to move up the depth chart on this team.

FWIW, Pryors arms are just an inch longer and Vereen is an inch taller so it kinda evens out.

Love what I read about the kids work ethic, and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they put him in a battle with Conte that Vereen comes out on top....And not necessarily because he's "the tallest midget".

Any idea why he fell so far?

Arm length I suppose. This is a really deep draft, 4th round might seem like falling far but with all the talent in the draft I don't think we're talking about a huge plummet.

CBS has him as the 101 ranked prospect.

Cracker, like I said in my last post, yes, I believe he can win the camp battle between he Conte and Jennings.

Nickel corner better be Kyle Fuller.

By next year I meant 2015.

Nuts probably gone after this coming up year so we'll have a need again at nickel next year which very well could end up being Vereen. I really think he sticks at FS though.

Arm length I suppose. This is a really deep draft, 4th round might seem like falling far but with all the talent in the draft I don't think we're talking about a huge plummet.

CBS has him as the 101 ranked prospect.

Cracker, like I said in my last post, yes, I believe he can win the camp battle between he Conte and Jennings.

Actually he has been moving up boards of late. I think some people just get lost, and the combine starting getting him a lot of attention.

SI has him ranked as the 5th best safety...Ahead of Bucannon

5. Brock Vereen, Minnesota: Vereen, the younger brother of New England Patriots running back Shane Vereen, has moved from corner to safety and back again during his collegiate years. And it may be that his NFL future is at the cornerback position. Out of all the safety prospects in this draft class, he may have the most impressive ability to stick and stay with receivers, no matter how complex the routes get. Vereen has tremendous agility and change-of-direction skills and isn’t a pure thumper. If he stays at safety, he’d have to be a range guy, and depending on the scheme he’s in, that might rob him of the potential to make plays in the intermediate areas. But as NFL defenses move to more nickel and dime formations, hybrid defenders become more valuable, and Vereen lines up very nicely in that category.

Draft projection: Round 2/Early Round 3

I think Emery has done his homework and as much as I hate to, give you some credit for bringing his name up. I didnt even pay attention to him.