So Emery Drafts a Late QB

lemonej

No BS at all. He said late round QBs don't turn into starters and at the press conference he said he drafted Fales to be a backup. Some here are saying Fales was drafted to replace Cutler, but he was drafted to replace McCown.

I just watched Fales' game against Fresno St. He reminds me of Chad Pennington in that he doesn't have a very strong arm but he makes quick decisions and he's usually very accurate. If he ever sees the field expect to see lots of passes 10yds or less. He is not going to throw passes down field in windy Chicago weather. Ball placement though is good so even in tight coverage he'll be able to get the ball where only Jeffrey or Marshall can get it.

Reportedly he's a film room junkie and will put the time in to learn the offense so that had to be meaningful for Trestman given how complex his offense is. I'm no QB guru but Fales sometimes looks like he's pushing the ball without a proper step through (or something to that effect) so I'm guessing he'll get some coaching on his mechanics. Plus he needs to learn how to lineup under center and drop back. Reportedly Matt Cavanaugh spent some 1on1 time with him a week ago so the Bears know what they are getting. If he can grow into a Chad Pennington type QB I'd be happy with that as a backup.

Thanks for that insight.

No BS at all. He said late round QBs don't turn into starters and at the press conference he said he drafted Fales to be a backup. Some here are saying Fales was drafted to replace Cutler, but he was drafted to replace McCown.

I just watched Fales' game against Fresno St. He reminds me of Chad Pennington in that he doesn't have a very strong arm but he makes quick decisions and he's usually very accurate. If he ever sees the field expect to see lots of passes 10yds or less. He is not going to throw passes down field in windy Chicago weather. Ball placement though is good so even in tight coverage he'll be able to get the ball where only Jeffrey or Marshall can get it.

Reportedly he's a film room junkie and will put the time in to learn the offense so that had to be meaningful for Trestman given how complex his offense is. I'm no QB guru but Fales sometimes looks like he's pushing the ball without a proper step through (or something to that effect) so I'm guessing he'll get some coaching on his mechanics. Plus he needs to learn how to lineup under center and drop back. Reportedly Matt Cavanaugh spent some 1on1 time with him a week ago so the Bears know what they are getting. If he can grow into a Chad Pennington type QB I'd be happy with that as a backup.

Your right on, he turns into a 3 rd draft pick trade in 3 years.

First of all he did his study over the last few years but in Bears history just remember these names from recently: Will Furer 4th RD ,Moses Moreno 7th RD, Craig Krenzel 5th RD and Kyle Orton 4th RD all have started games for the Bears. If you would like me to go all the way back to my childhood I can. Turk Schonert, Vince Evans, Bob Avelini, Virg Carter and Larry Rakestraw all started for the Bears and were not 1st or 2nd RD picks Phil carefully picked a time frame that excluded Tom Brady also and not to mention the many UDFAs and reclamation projects that have gone on to be SB MVPs and HOFers.

For laughs I researched 1 other team in depth and check these names out: Jordan Palmer 6th rd one injury away from being the Bears starter, Sage Rosenfels 4th, Gus Frerotte 7th who actually beat out a 1st rd Heath Schuler for the starting spot as a rookie, Stan Humphries 6th and Mark Rypien 6th.These are all Redskin draft picks with the last two I mentioned being Starter in the SB.

This is clear evidence that what Emery was doing was Smokescreen BS. There have been too many times when more than 2 Qbs have started for this franchise in a season. BTW what was he supposed to say at the presser that Fales has a chance to supplant Cutler this year after you just inked him to a big money deal? What he didn't say was he was drafted to back up Palmer who he feels good about as well as Johnson.

First of all he did his study over the last few years but in Bears history just remember these names from recently: Will Furer 4th RD ,Moses Moreno 7th RD, Craig Krenzel 5th RD and Kyle Orton 4th RD all have started games for the Bears. If you would like me to go all the way back to my childhood I can. Turk Schonert, Vince Evans, Bob Avelini, Virg Carter and Larry Rakestraw all started for the Bears and were not 1st or 2nd RD picks Phil carefully picked a time frame that excluded Tom Brady also and not to mention the many UDFAs and reclamation projects that have gone on to be SB MVPs and HOFers.

For laughs I researched 1 other team in depth and check these names out: Jordan Palmer 6th rd one injury away from being the Bears starter, Sage Rosenfels 4th, Gus Frerotte 7th who actually beat out a 1st rd Heath Schuler for the starting spot as a rookie, Stan Humphries 6th and Mark Rypien 6th.These are all Redskin draft picks with the last two I mentioned being Starter in the SB.

This is clear evidence that what Emery was doing was Smokescreen BS. There have been too many times when more than 2 Qbs have started for this franchise in a season. BTW what was he supposed to say at the presser that Fales has a chance to supplant Cutler this year after you just inked him to a big money deal? What he didn't say was he was drafted to back up Palmer who he feels good about as well as Johnson.

There is a success rate of late round QBs turning into long term starters but it's far less than 10%. Citing that backup QBs have started some games doesn't change that fact. That's what backups do, they start some games when your starter is injured. I definitely agree there was some smoke screen in his comments regarding drafting a QB. After watching Fales throw I don't see him see him as ever being our long term franchise QB. I will be happy if he can develop into a decent enough player to win half his games if he has to start but earning a roster spot is far from guaranteed for him.