2014 Defense

Stinger226

We are pretty set now on defense. There will be one more opportunity to add players when teams start dropping players on their roster for draftees.

DE-Young,Allen,Houston,Bass,Lane,Robertson,Scott, Idonije,Washington I think we only keep 4 Young-Allen-Houston-Bass Idonije might stick but doubt it, he can play all positions

DT-Collins,Ratliff,Furgeson,Sutton,Paea I think all 5 of these make squad

LB-Briggs,SCM,Bostic,Greene,Jones,Williams,Franklin,Senn,Wilson I think Jones makes it to final roster along with Briggs,SCM,Bostic,Greene,Senn

S- Mundy,Conte,Jennings,Steltz,Vereen,Mcray Were still thin at S and could add another player after other team makes cuts-for now I think Steltz is odd man out

CB-Tillman,Jennings,Hayden,Frey,Wilson,Martin,Hurst, Fuller,McManis ,Cathouse Because of STs I think 7 make it Tillman-Jennings-Hayden-Fuller-Frey-Hurst-McManis

This is a better roster than last year, but I still think S is a weakness on this team. I think Mundy and Conte start but Vereen works his way in to lineup in week 5.

Our DLine will be 13 sacks better from last year with Allen getting 11 and Houston with 8. Sutton surprises and gets 7

If Tillman and Briggs stay healthy we are a solid defense this year

We are pretty set now on defense. There will be one more opportunity to add players when teams start dropping players on their roster for draftees.

DE-Young,Allen,Houston,Bass,Lane,Robertson,Scott, Idonije,Washington I think we only keep 4 Young-Allen-Houston-Bass Idonije might stick but doubt it, he can play all positions

LB-Briggs,SCM,Bostic,Greene,Jones,Williams,Franklin,Senn,Wilson I think Jones makes it to final roster along with Briggs,SCM,Bostic,Greene,Senn

S- Mundy,Conte,Jennings,Steltz,Vereen,Mcray Were still thin at S and could add another player after other team makes cuts-for now I think Steltz is odd man out

CB-Tillman,Jennings,Hayden,Frey,Wilson,Martin,Hurst, Fuller,McManis ,Cathouse Because of STs I think 7 make it Tillman-Jennings-Hayden-Fuller-Frey-Hurst-McManis

This is a better roster than last year, but I still think S is a weakness on this team. I think Mundy and Conte start but Vereen works his way in to lineup in week 5.

Our DLine will be 13 sacks better from last year with Allen getting 11 and Houston with 8. Sutton surprises and gets 7

Agreed. Woulda liked a different order that started with FS.

Agreed. Woulda liked a different order that started with FS.

I also wanted S first, I would have loved Pryor in first then the DTs are ok and in the fifth, Desir/CB is still there. I would take him and stick with the RB in the fourth

Here is my draft

1-Pryor

2-Furegson I would have probably taken Nix but with so many teams passing on him, there must be health-weight issues.

3-Sutton This is actually a good place to draft him, great upside at value

4-Carey I looked at the RBs that went after him and this is probably the best RB on the board

5-Desir/CB Its hindsight now but he would have been there in here, he needs lots more work than Fuller but he wouldnt need to start his first year

6a-Fales I think Trestman had a lot to say with this pick and that could mean something down the road

6b-Zumwatt I think we could still get the punter in 7th if we wanted him that bad and not let him be a FA-Zumwalt would have been another prospect to look at

7th-Donelly I think he is still here and picking this late, Leno could have been a priority FA.

With all this said Fuller is a much better player that Desir but in time he might being close to level, but have a for sure at safety.

I also wanted S first, I would have loved Pryor in first then the DTs are ok and in the fifth, Desir/CB is still there. I would take him and stick with the RB in the fourth

Here is my draft

1-Pryor

2-Furegson I would have probably taken Nix but with so many teams passing on him, there must be health-weight issues.

3-Sutton This is actually a good place to draft him, great upside at value

4-Carey I looked at the RBs that went after him and this is probably the best RB on the board

5-Desir/CB Its hindsight now but he would have been there in here, he needs lots more work than Fuller but he wouldnt need to start his first year

6a-Fales I think Trestman had a lot to say with this pick and that could mean something down the road

6b-Zumwatt I think we could still get the punter in 7th if we wanted him that bad and not let him be a FA-Zumwalt would have been another prospect to look at

7th-Donelly I think he is still here and picking this late, Leno could have been a priority FA.

With all this said Fuller is a much better player that Desir but in time he might being close to level, but have a for sure at safety.

I like that draft better overall.

The Defensive Line and Cornerbacks are huge strengths now. LB's are decent, completely dependent on the development of Bostic and Greene, the health of Williams, and growth of SMC. Safety is still a concern, but we have the June 1st cuts to pick someone else up.

The Defensive Line and Cornerbacks are huge strengths now. LB's are decent, completely dependent on the development of Bostic and Greene, the health of Williams, and growth of SMC. Safety is still a concern, but we have the June 1st cuts to pick someone else up.

I hope someone with a big contract that has talent gets cut, we need one more FS.

I said early on rebuilding our D was going to be a 2 year process. There just wasn't enough money or picks to get everything covered. I have no problem with Emery focusing on building from the front to the back. Frankly, the less I hear a safety's name called during a game the happier I am. That name gets called even when they blow the coverage or tackle (usually followed by a four letter word aimed at my TV). No doubt we'll be watching for any veterans cut between now and training camp to see if we can improve the competition at S but I'd say we're set with the two FAs at SS and now Vereen and Conte competing at FS.

I feel good about our Dline now. Sutton IMO can step in and replace Melton from day 1. He won't have to necessarily with Ratliff there as well but I think he can. Ferguson is good competition for Paea. I like the hard working Collins as the 5th man in the rotation.

Adding Jones as a UDFA make me feel better with our LB group. Hopefully he cleans up his act because his potential is high. There is now enough competition these LBs have to earn starting jobs. Having two experienced vets in DJ and Briggs to settle things down for the young guys helps.

At CB we have the best depth we've had there in many years IMO…mainly because I like Fuller a lot. This is probably the first time I feel we have enough depth to adequately replace Tillman or Jennings if need be. Then you'd have Frey or Hayden coming off the bench to backfill the NB slot. Last season Bowman was the first one off the bench to replace Tillman.

Overall I like what Emery did this offseason on defense. We have a lot of young guys that need to learn so it will take some time to see results but I think we'll get back to being respectable.

Predicting the starting defense on this team is a semi-difficult chore now.

DE: Allen & Houston, Young and Izzy rotate

DT: Paea & Ratliff, although I could see Ferguson taking Paea's starting gig and Sutton might have to start if Ratliff can't stay healthy.

LB: I'm predicting SMC, DJ, Briggs, and like the depth with Bostic and Greene.

CB: Peanut, Jennings

SS: Mundy

FS: Conte, but I hope Vereen turns out to be a huge steal

When you look at all that, it's only the safeties that look bad. I just don't understand why more attention was not given to the position. The only possible beliefs are that the staff believe in those guys, and/or they believe safeties' production is almost completely contingent upon the front seven. Otherwise, the entire front seven looks a lot better, has good depth, and should help propel the Bears forward this year. If they are somewhere around the middle of the league in defense, I think we can expect them to challenge for the Lombardi Trophy.

DT: Paea & Ratliff, although I could see Ferguson taking Paea's starting gig and Sutton might have to start if Ratliff can't stay healthy.

When you look at all that, it's only the safeties that look bad. I just don't understand why more attention was not given to the position. The only possible beliefs are that the staff believe in those guys, and/or they believe safeties' production is almost completely contingent upon the front seven. Otherwise, the entire front seven looks a lot better, has good depth, and should help propel the Bears forward this year. If they are somewhere around the middle of the league in defense, I think we can expect them to challenge for the Lombardi Trophy.

Fuller is going to see a lot of time as well in Nickel and backing up both Peanut and Jennings.

I said early on rebuilding our D was going to be a 2 year process. There just wasn't enough money or picks to get everything covered. I have no problem with Emery focusing on building from the front to the back. Frankly, the less I hear a safety's name called during a game the happier I am. That name gets called even when they blow the coverage or tackle (usually followed by a four letter word aimed at my TV). No doubt we'll be watching for any veterans cut between now and training camp to see if we can improve the competition at S but I'd say we're set with the two FAs at SS and now Vereen and Conte competing at FS.

I feel good about our Dline now. Sutton IMO can step in and replace Melton from day 1. He won't have to necessarily with Ratliff there as well but I think he can. Ferguson is good competition for Paea. I like the hard working Collins as the 5th man in the rotation.

Adding Jones as a UDFA make me feel better with our LB group. Hopefully he cleans up his act because his potential is high. There is now enough competition these LBs have to earn starting jobs. Having two experienced vets in DJ and Briggs to settle things down for the young guys helps.

At CB we have the best depth we've had there in many years IMO…mainly because I like Fuller a lot. This is probably the first time I feel we have enough depth to adequately replace Tillman or Jennings if need be. Then you'd have Frey or Hayden coming off the bench to backfill the NB slot. Last season Bowman was the first one off the bench to replace Tillman.

Overall I like what Emery did this offseason on defense. We have a lot of young guys that need to learn so it will take some time to see results but I think we'll get back to being respectable.

I agree and I like what he's done as well. True the picks may not have been what I or others on this board would have taken, I think we got good players in the draft to add to the FA's we added earlier this offseason. I'm old school in that I feel you build a team starting with the front line and work back. Last offseason Emery focused on retooling the offensive line and it payed dividends by keeping our QB's upright, and opening holes in the run game. The offense was the best we've seen here in years and it will continue to improve. This offseason Emery focused on the front 7 and added some competition at the back end. I believe that improved D-Line play will go a long way to helping our secondary. A porous line like we fielded last season that couldn't stop the run, couldn't get to the QB, I think put a lot of pressure on the back end of our D to make up for the poor play in front of them. When your safeties have take on RB's with a head of steam, and pass defend forever because we aren't pressuring the QB, it makes it tough to do your job. Effectively. In general your safeties should be more focused on pass coverage than having to worry about everything since the front seven is stopping nothing. Doesn't mean our secondary is good as is and doesn't need improved, but I do think the situation had a negative impact on their play. This season we should see a marked improvement from the front 7, and that I think will provide a more realistic basis to evaluate our secondary. Last year it was really hard to properly evaluate any area on our D because it was just that awful all around. You have to start fixing somewhere, and I agree with Emery in fixing the line by adding players and getting healthy.

I don't rule out Sutton starting over Ratliff. He's a good guy and will work hard to earn the spot. However, I think it's realistic to see these guys in a balanced rotation. Ratliff may get called the "starter" based on his experience and leadership but at his age and injury history I think the Bears take some of the workload off him to keep him productive throughout the season. Sutton is more competitive than Melton IMO, a little more desire to make the play. He's also tough and I think long term Bears fans will come to appreciate him.

I wanted Donald but with Ratliff and Sutton on board I don't think we'll miss Melton. His salary (based on $5mil @ Dallas) was effectively used to sign Ratliff, Sutton, and Willie Young. I'll take that 3 for 1 deal.

I agree and I like what he's done as well. True the picks may not have been what I or others on this board would have taken, I think we got good players in the draft to add to the FA's we added earlier this offseason. I'm old school in that I feel you build a team starting with the front line and work back. Last offseason Emery focused on retooling the offensive line and it payed dividends by keeping our QB's upright, and opening holes in the run game. The offense was the best we've seen here in years and it will continue to improve. This offseason Emery focused on the front 7 and added some competition at the back end. I believe that improved D-Line play will go a long way to helping our secondary. A porous line like we fielded last season that couldn't stop the run, couldn't get to the QB, I think put a lot of pressure on the back end of our D to make up for the poor play in front of them. When your safeties have take on RB's with a head of steam, and pass defend forever because we aren't pressuring the QB, it makes it tough to do your job. Effectively. In general your safeties should be more focused on pass coverage than having to worry about everything since the front seven is stopping nothing. Doesn't mean our secondary is good as is and doesn't need improved, but I do think the situation had a negative impact on their play. This season we should see a marked improvement from the front 7, and that I think will provide a more realistic basis to evaluate our secondary. Last year it was really hard to properly evaluate any area on our D because it was just that awful all around. You have to start fixing somewhere, and I agree with Emery in fixing the line by adding players and getting healthy.

The highlighted part is funny for me because I said the same about the offense for years, and all I heard from most was arguments about WRs, TEs, OCs, Cutler, etc. Lo and behold, the OL gets beefed up and the offense takes off. Sure, Trestman have a lot to do with offensive success, but it all starts with the line.

Having said that, where I thought there was a difference was the DL, in my opinion, wasn't that horrible. Paea is solid, albeit unspectacular, and Ratliff is more than capable. This can be seen by the fact that they most likely will start in 2014, while Sutton and Ferguson backup. Counter that to what happened on the OL, where the talent was bad - despite some argument on this board - and two rookies immediately took over starting jobs without any sort of controversy. It would take monster offseason production and highlight reel preseason plays for Sutton or Ferguson to start in week 1. Meanwhile, Conte will still suck, and who the hell knows which cast-off is going to start at SS (Mundy?).

I don't rule out Sutton starting over Ratliff. He's a good guy and will work hard to earn the spot. However, I think it's realistic to see these guys in a balanced rotation. Ratliff may get called the "starter" based on his experience and leadership but at his age and injury history I think the Bears take some of the workload off him to keep him productive throughout the season. Sutton is more competitive than Melton IMO, a little more desire to make the play. He's also tough and I think long term Bears fans will come to appreciate him.

I wanted Donald but with Ratliff and Sutton on board I don't think we'll miss Melton. His salary (based on $5mil @ Dallas) was effectively used to sign Ratliff, Sutton, and Willie Young. I'll take that 3 for 1 deal.

Sutton starting over Ratliff would shock me.

BTW - Just to bust your balls, but how can we trust you on Arizona prospects when you were so wrong on Burfict?

The highlighted part is funny for me because I said the same about the offense for years, and all I heard from most was arguments about WRs, TEs, OCs, Cutler, etc. Lo and behold, the OL gets beefed up and the offense takes off. Sure, Trestman have a lot to do with offensive success, but it all starts with the line.

Having said that, where I thought there was a difference was the DL, in my opinion, wasn't that horrible. Paea is solid, albeit unspectacular, and Ratliff is more than capable. This can be seen by the fact that they most likely will start in 2014, while Sutton and Ferguson backup. Counter that to what happened on the OL, where the talent was bad - despite some argument on this board - and two rookies immediately took over starting jobs without any sort of controversy. It would take monster offseason production and highlight reel preseason plays for Sutton or Ferguson to start in week 1. Meanwhile, Conte will still suck, and who the hell knows which cast-off is going to start at SS (Mundy?).

I wouldn't really call Mundy a cast off. He was stuck behind Polomalu, Ryan Clark, and Will Allen for years. Last year was his first real chance to play from what I read he preformed admirably. Again, FWIW, Matt Miller has him ranked as the 26th safety in the league (That includes SS and FS) so by that ranking he's above average.

Not sure how you can say the DL wasn't that horrible. Yes, I know Paea was dealing with issues, and Ratliff was coming off injury, but neither of those guys are anything to write home about.

I wouldn't really call Mundy a cast off. He was stuck behind Polomalu, Ryan Clark, and Will Allen for years. Last year was his first real chance to play from what I read he preformed admirably. Again, FWIW, Matt Miller has him ranked as the 26th safety in the league (That includes SS and FS) so by that ranking he's above average.

Not sure how you can say the DL wasn't that horrible. Yes, I know Paea was dealing with issues, and Ratliff was coming off injury, but neither of those guys are anything to write home about.

By comparison to the previous year's OL, the combo of Paea and Ratliff are superb. When healthy, they are good enough that they are not a huge liability.

Sutton starting over Ratliff would shock me.

BTW - Just to bust your balls, but how can we trust you on Arizona prospects when you were so wrong on Burfict?

This is where "analysts" like to say everyone, and average fans like me, missed on Burfict. I personally don't think I was wrong on him. He was lazy and very undisciplined as a player his last year at ASU. Then he's doing nothing much but smoking marijuana prior to combine and fails his drug test there, after telling everyone in his interviews he was using the drug regularly.

You cannot separate the player he is today from that harsh lesson he had to go through during the draft process. It did one thing nobody in his years at ASU was able to do….knocked him off his pedestal, motivated him to work hard, and stop using marijuana. There are many examples in sports where that "event" had to happen before that player woke up. Cris Carter comes to mind as another example. Kyle Long had his issues as well during college. If during the draft process Burfict was still rumored to be a 1st-3rd Rd pick, and then been selected there, I doubt he'd have gotten the message he needed to hear.

I'm really glad to see Burfict realize his potential. It's a great lesson for young kids who have talent and don't think they need to work hard, or follow the rules, to succeed. If kids are lucky they'll have an adult early in their life who has the courage to deliver that message (i.e. high school coach) when they don't toe the line. Too often adults are more interested in their own success and look the other way making exceptions for the elite athlete. I hope Burfict is using his platform to relay this message to kids.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-11-2...layer-ray-lewis

IIRC I didn't want to use an early round pick on Burfict, perhaps a 6th or 7th and certainly would have accepted a low risk UDFA contract. I'll live with that decision.