Christian Jones

Alaskan Grizzly

Was reading a story in the Bleacher Report on "Top 10 undrafted free agents who could be a major contributor in 2014" and former FSU LB Christian Jones (now Chicago Bears) was mentioned. (Sorry can't post the link). According to some links in the story he was once a higher touted player but "failed a drug test at the combine" and dropped in stock as a result. Comparisons were of him to the Bills Manny Lawson. Anyone heard of him? I like what I see. Maybe an eventual starter in place of Greene or if SMC fails miserably at his conversion?

Was reading a story in the Bleacher Report on "Top 10 undrafted free agents who could be a major contributor in 2014" and former FSU LB Christian Jones (now Chicago Bears) was mentioned. (Sorry can't post the link). According to some links in the story he was once a higher touted player but "failed a drug test at the combine" and dropped in stock as a result. Comparisons were of him to the Bills Manny Lawson. Anyone heard of him? I like what I see. Maybe an eventual starter in place of Greene or if SMC fails miserably at his conversion?

Ya, he's a guy most here were talking about drafting in the 3/4 round. He was one of the few LBs I actually liked in the class, didn't see a need to use a draft pick on a LB though, but as a UDFA it could be a huge gem.

Kinda doubt he starts this year but if they let Briggs walk next year I could certainly see him being in the mix with Bostic/Greene/SMC. It'd be real nice if 3 of the 4 end up being the starters.

He will probably have to beat out Greene for the final LB roster spot, or he'll have to be great on special teams to knock one of those guys off. He's real talented, so I'm sure Phil will give him a good look before deciding on whether or not to cut him.

I'd be pretty bummed if they gave up on Greene already, I still think he has a ton of talent.

Last year the Bears carried 6 LBs on the 53 man roster. With Hester gone I'd like to see his spot given to a LB so they can go with Briggs/Bostic/Williams/SMC/Greene/Senn/Jones....Like what was said in another thread I think theres a good chance Jones gets plucked off the PS if they put him there.

After looking at a few clips on him, his mechanics are a little flawed. He tackles high. I wonder if its not a combination of his height (6'4") and/or the new 'heads up' approach to tackling? Heads up almost forces the tackler to hit higher since you really can't effectively drop your shoulder to do an effective tackle. I remember "back in the day" when I played in HS (our measurements are similar) I was always accused of 'bear hugging' people to the ground. I never really drove through tackles. Seems he does a lot of that.

I heard Emery somewhere say that he thought they would carry 10 DL (they ranged from 9-10 last year). That may squeeze out a LB. I think Briggs, Williams, Bostic, and Greene are safe. McClellin will probably stick unless he looks awful at LB and/or another team offers a draft pick for him. I would think they carry six LBs, so the last spot to me is probably Jones v. Senn. If Jones can show up on ST and/or McClellin struggles, they may need a better potential LB option. While I value what Senn could bring in special teams, we saw with Costanzo what happens when you put a ST ace at LB.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-dra...agents-to-watch

Chicago Bears -- LB Christian Jones, Florida State: Jones went undrafted due to some durability concerns and questions about where his best position will be at the next level, but if he stays healthy he might be able to carve out a niche on special teams coverage. Jones has the versatile ability to help in sub-package situations at several front-seven spots.

I'd be pretty bummed if they gave up on Greene already, I still think he has a ton of talent. Last year the Bears carried 6 LBs on the 53 man roster. With Hester gone I'd like to see his spot given to a LB so they can go with Briggs/Bostic/Williams/SMC/Greene/Senn/Jones....Like what was said in another thread I think theres a good chance Jones gets plucked off the PS if they put him there.

I agree with SC here, why not cut Weems if Jones shows promise at LB and is a capable ST player?

I'd be pretty bummed if they gave up on Greene already, I still think he has a ton of talent.

Last year the Bears carried 6 LBs on the 53 man roster. With Hester gone I'd like to see his spot given to a LB so they can go with Briggs/Bostic/Williams/SMC/Greene/Senn/Jones....Like what was said in another thread I think theres a good chance Jones gets plucked off the PS if they put him there.

I think Cris Williams get his spot on the roster, the more I read about Jones the more I understand why he didnt get drafted. I think the possibility exists he doesnt make the squad.

I think Cris Williams get his spot on the roster, the more I read about Jones the more I understand why he didnt get drafted. I think the possibility exists he doesnt make the squad.

I think Jones will make it, and challenge Shea for the SLB. Would they cut Shea? I doubt it, but Jones is a LB were Shea will be learning the positition. Going be a tough call when deciding on the 53.

Guest TerraTor

What are u reading?

IMHO Jones might be the better of the two between him and Greene. Greenne just looks scared out there

FWIW, Bears carried 6 WRs + Hester on last years 53. This year I'm thinkin we see Marshall/Jeffery/Wilson/Morgan/Hixon/Williams with Jones making the team.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it either. If he does make it I don't think he'll make as what everyone wants him as, MLB, I think he'll be more of a WLB.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it either. If he does make it I don't think he'll make as what everyone wants him as, MLB, I think he'll be more of a WLB.

I'd agree. Coming out of college he's listed as an LB/DE. That makes me think he's more suited the OLB role. It'll probably come down to him or SMC...at some point.

FWIW, Bears carried 6 WRs + Hester on last years 53. This year I'm thinkin we see Marshall/Jeffery/Wilson/Morgan/Hixon/Williams with Jones making the team.

Thats is spot on what scouts think of him, to play WLB or situational pass rusher.

Thats is spot on what scouts think of him, to play WLB or situational pass rusher.

I really would like to see the coaches identify and groom our young in the right posistions. Seems like all are LBs are meant to be WLB except for Shea. I think Bostic and Shea should get good looks at MLB, Greene and Jones at WLB, and SLB will fall in place. We still don't know how our D will look with a new scheme installed. Can't wait for TC to begin...

I really would like to see the coaches identify and groom our young in the right posistions. Seems like all are LBs are meant to be WLB except for Shea. I think Bostic and Shea should get good looks at MLB, Greene and Jones at WLB, and SLB will fall in place. We still don't know how our D will look with a new scheme installed. Can't wait for TC to begin...

In an article on the Bears Website on an interview with Tucker:

MT: "We've told those guys that they have to know multiple spots from Day 1, so we're going to move those guys around probably as early as the third OTA. Bostic is going to play Mike and Sam, Shea's going to play Sam and Mike, Khaseem will play Will and Sam, and D.J. will primarily play Mike, although he's played outside linebacker over the years. Lance is going to play Will and those other guys are going to compete and we'll see what will be our best combination of guys."