Marshall trying to emulate Rice...

madlithuanian

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/...g-into-his-30s/

Brandon Marshall sees Jerry Rice as a model for playing into his 30s

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 23, 2014, 9:37 AM EDT

Jerry Rice

AP

Brandon Marshall, the Bears’ 30-year-old receiver, just signed a contract that keeps him in Chicago for four more seasons. Marshall says he already has a model for the way a receiver can stay on top into his 30s.

Marshall noted at his press conference announcing his new contract that Jerry Rice showed that players in their early to mid-30s can continue to play at a high level. Rice led the NFL in receiving yards for three straight seasons at ages 31, 32 and 33, and led the league in catches at age 34. Marshall thinks he can be that kind of player over the next few years.

“Jerry Rice had his breakout year in Year 11,” Marshall said. “So, I am in nine, so I think I can do it.”

It’s not realistic to think anyone is going to be as good in his 30s as Jerry Rice was, but Marshall has shown no signs of slowing down. It’s very realistic to think that Marshall will play well enough to earn the $40 million he’s slated to make over the next four years — and perhaps sign another lucrative contract after that.

Jerry was solid til he was forty,it was unreal. Him and Tim Brown were fun to watch with Trestman leading them as when Rice was in San Fran with him. Marshall has been vocal lately, even calling Trestman the best in the business a day ago.

Jerry was solid til he was forty,it was unreal. Him and Tim Brown were fun to watch with Trestman leading them as when Rice was in San Fran with him. Marshall has been vocal lately, even calling Trestman the best in the business a day ago.

Great guys to emulate. I also heard Marshall say he wants his career to match Chris Carters in terms of numbers. Having a steady offense the team can learn should only help all of the offensive players put up numbers. Great we are not juggling OCs anymore and hope Tucker can put together a solid unit to get respectability back for the D.

Great guys to emulate. I also heard Marshall say he wants his career to match Chris Carters in terms of numbers. Having a steady offense the team can learn should only help all of the offensive players put up numbers. Great we are not juggling OCs anymore and hope Tucker can put together a solid unit to get respectability back for the D.

He should kill all CC's numbers except maybe TD's. 130 will be tough especially now that alshon is here. Might take a few away. Definitely doable but tough

and his game isn't built around speed, he uses good body control and sure hands, with the strength and agility to get run after the catch. The thing great athletes do as they age they learn to play smarter. Maximize what the can do and not try to be like their 20 something selves who just got drafted. I don't see any reason Marshall can't be highly productive for 3-4 more years. As also pointed out the fact that we aren't playing OC musical chairs like we had been under Lovie. Stability of the system will help everyone in our offense gain confidence and grow. Congrats to Brandon, I remember the trade and soon after hearing about a club incident allegation that seemed consistent for a player with a troubled past. But I couldn't be more happy, and more proud of how far he's come as a person and a player, and I'm glad he's a Bear!

As much as it shames me to say it, Chris Carter was my favorite WR of all time. If Marshall can learn those sideline catches, he may last even longer than that.

Marshall has said he doesn't have any plans of playing 16 yrs like CC did. Another thing I like is how much BM is liked around the league now. Not many even bring up his checkered past because he's been such an outstanding citizen since arriving