Trade Briggs?

AZ54

With Dallas losing Sean Lee for the season I'm wondering if anyone would consider trading Briggs to Dallas? There are no rumors so this is purely my fantasy league. We are dealing with Jerry Jones who is known for his desperation moves and Briggs is a natural fit into Dallas' defense.

Right now there is no way I'd do it solely because I think we can compete at a high level in the playoffs and there is too much risk in all the young players. However, if SMC and Bostic are looking good (I'll assume DJ Williams is "good") and the coaches think guys like Greene and Christian Jones will be decent backups then I'm open to it. We can't know that now, or rather the coaches can't, so this is more likely a training camp deal. Briggs is near the end of his career but should have a couple decent years left in him, giving Dallas a reasonable ROI if they decide to extend his contract a bit.

If the young guys are looking good early in training camp and JJ offered a 3rd Rd pick in next years draft I'd take it. I'd accept the deal for a lower draft pick if a good veteran safety showed up on the FA market and we needed the cap space to sign him. In that scenario we'd have a weaker LB corps (young and improving) but a stronger safety group balancing it out. Maybe a decent DT shows up on the FA market as well making it a 2 for 1 deal with regards to the cap space.

On the negative side, (if accurate) right now Over the Cap says we have $6mil in space so that isn't a need. The only reasonable contract extension that I can see is Jeffrey and that, with 2 years left on his deal, would be very unlike the Bears. However, if they did roll the dice and tried to get him early on a reasonable deal (should he hit the Pro Bowl again) it could set us up for a much better cap situation down the road.

After looking at everything I'd say a deal is unlikely but I wouldn't be surprised if there hasn't already been a phone call from Dallas to Chicago just to ask what if.

I guess it would be a possibility, but it would have to make us better, and I can't see that being the case in the next 2 years unless they give us a 2nd. Forte and Marshall only have 2-3 good years left, so unless it would make us better now I would pass.

Agreed. Before the draft...definitley consider. Now, I don't think so. But the devil is in the details. If the offer were simply too good...sure it's worth looking at.

Meh, we're built to win this year IMO so I probably wouldn't do it. Now if the draft was tomorrow and they offered 2nd today I'd do it.

Agreed. Before the draft...definitley consider. Now, I don't think so. But the devil is in the details. If the offer were simply too good...sure it's worth looking at.

In all fairness, I would hold onto him unless we got a 2nd at least...otherwise, we can win this year so why upset the apple cart?

In all fairness, I would hold onto him unless we got a 2nd at least...otherwise, we can win this year so why upset the apple cart?

I'd trade him if he isn't buying into the system. Otherwise, he's still got more value to us than he'd fetch in a trade. But I wouldn't sign him to an extension after this contract is over. By then, hopefully, one of the younger guys has proven themselves to be his successor.

With Dallas losing Sean Lee for the season I'm wondering if anyone would consider trading Briggs to Dallas? There are no rumors so this is purely my fantasy league. We are dealing with Jerry Jones who is known for his desperation moves and Briggs is a natural fit into Dallas' defense.

Right now there is no way I'd do it solely because I think we can compete at a high level in the playoffs and there is too much risk in all the young players. However, if SMC and Bostic are looking good (I'll assume DJ Williams is "good") and the coaches think guys like Greene and Christian Jones will be decent backups then I'm open to it. We can't know that now, or rather the coaches can't, so this is more likely a training camp deal. Briggs is near the end of his career but should have a couple decent years left in him, giving Dallas a reasonable ROI if they decide to extend his contract a bit.

If the young guys are looking good early in training camp and JJ offered a 3rd Rd pick in next years draft I'd take it. I'd accept the deal for a lower draft pick if a good veteran safety showed up on the FA market and we needed the cap space to sign him. In that scenario we'd have a weaker LB corps (young and improving) but a stronger safety group balancing it out. Maybe a decent DT shows up on the FA market as well making it a 2 for 1 deal with regards to the cap space.

On the negative side, (if accurate) right now Over the Cap says we have $6mil in space so that isn't a need. The only reasonable contract extension that I can see is Jeffrey and that, with 2 years left on his deal, would be very unlike the Bears. However, if they did roll the dice and tried to get him early on a reasonable deal (should he hit the Pro Bowl again) it could set us up for a much better cap situation down the road.

After looking at everything I'd say a deal is unlikely but I wouldn't be surprised if there hasn't already been a phone call from Dallas to Chicago just to ask what if.

Im going to go with a HELL NO! We can win this year!! SMC is learning from Briggs as the other newbies are too.

With a Healthy D I like our Chances this year!

Meh, we're built to win this year IMO so I probably wouldn't do it. Now if the draft was tomorrow and they offered 2nd today I'd do it.

I agree were are going for it, we have a 3 year window and if we can get one more good year out of Briggs, I am all in. He is not a favorite of mine, but is a good player when focused.

Briggs and Tillman are the remaining leadership. They both need to pass the torch and teach the newbies as much as they can. On the line, Ratliff has that role. A third rd pick is no longer a need with a team that will have a hard time cutting youth this summer.

Briggs and Tillman are the remaining leadership. They both need to pass the torch and teach the newbies as much as they can. On the line, Ratliff has that role. A third rd pick is no longer a need with a team that will have a hard time cutting youth this summer.

I may be an exception but I really don't see Briggs as a leader other than by his performance on the field. I can't find the article right now but he had some quotes recently that made him sound happy that someone else was taking over the play calling responsibilities. He's a quiet guy in some ways who just wants to come in and do his job. He is definitely respected in the locker room but I can't recall many players saying he was a coach on the field always getting guys into the right position ala Mike Brown years ago. Briggs was pretty clear last year that he wasn't comfortable making the calls in the defensive huddle.

By popular vote the majority here would trade him for a 2nd Rd pick. Those who wouldn't trade him at all are all-in that we can win the Superbowl this year and see no reason to take a risk. I said initially that if things were looking good with our young LB'ers in training camp I'd accept a 3rd but a 2nd Rd pick would close the deal for me before training camp.

I may be an exception but I really don't see Briggs as a leader other than by his performance on the field. I can't find the article right now but he had some quotes recently that made him sound happy that someone else was taking over the play calling responsibilities. He's a quiet guy in some ways who just wants to come in and do his job. He is definitely respected in the locker room but I can't recall many players saying he was a coach on the field always getting guys into the right position ala Mike Brown years ago. Briggs was pretty clear last year that he wasn't comfortable making the calls in the defensive huddle.

By popular vote the majority here would trade him for a 2nd Rd pick. Those who wouldn't trade him at all are all-in that we can win the Superbowl this year and see no reason to take a risk. I said initially that if things were looking good with our young LB'ers in training camp I'd accept a 3rd but a 2nd Rd pick would close the deal for me before training camp.

Being a 7 time perennial probowler and probably the Bears best OLB in there glorified LBer history. He has been nothing but persistant at holding down that posisition. As for a play calling leader, he may not be. But as a leader the players can rally behind, watch, and listen too, he is definately a leader. If he comes back healthy, there's no reason that he cannot play at the probowl level. Trading him for potential is for a team in rebuild, but with the moves Emery made, we are not there.

Today I don't see the point on trading one of your better players.

He is not a team leader, because of his success, he may have been put in that roll, but his leadership showed last year when he came back from injury out of shape and invisible. He is in a contract year so he will say all the things he needs to do, but all I want out of him is one more year and just have one more veteran on the team as the young guys learn.

As much as the taste of crow sticks in my throat and when landing in my stomach makes me want to wretch, I feel we did suffer last year without Url and it may have been worth trying to get him back a little harder....

That being said, we don't know all of the behind the scenes business either....

The linebackers were completely out of their depth last year and once Williams went out...well, that was that really.

I would hate to see that day come back!!!!!

Depends entirely on how the coaches are feeling about the young guys really IMO.....

He is not a team leader, because of his success, he may have been put in that roll, but his leadership showed last year when he came back from injury out of shape and invisible. He is in a contract year so he will say all the things he needs to do, but all I want out of him is one more year and just have one more veteran on the team as the young guys learn.

This.

Peace :dabears

This.

Peace :dabears

I agree, he abandoned the Bears last year when they had the worst game in history on D and left the locker room, leaving the rookies to fend for themselves with the media.

Unforgivable, as was his critical words of the Bears after they simply took the option of tagging him, which was well within their rights.

Check out those quotes folks; check out what Briggs said a few years ago when the 49ers wanted to pay him, violated league rules and were fined for such, and led Briggs to spew disrespect on our team and everyone associated as well as the city.

Check out details of his car accident in Chicago with his Lamborghini, where he was likely inebriated, and reported the car stolen and then retracted..........given him time to sweat out a bit of alcohol eh?

And it all went away for him.

So, if we need him this year, I will leave it to Trestmann and Emery to determine, as they see the practices, talk to the players, and know much more than me.

However, he will never be a Bear to me, and I will never purchase his jersey.

He was over-rated, playing next to an excellent MLB in Urlacher, and never did much except deliver solid performances....give him his due, he was solid, but that was it.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless the offer is really good and/or helps us this year, I'd say no. Simply because we are in a position to make a run this year. And sending Briggs away would weaken a position we already have a lot of question marks at. Like will SMC pan out at LB, will Bostic and Green prove to be solid contributor's or starters this year, does Williams stay healthy and solidify a spot in the group? Briggs really is the only known commodity we have at LB. So for me it would take a lot for us to ship him away.

• 2 weeks later...

If we can pick up anybody or anything that will help us this year or next, I would make the trade. Right now we have 2 question marks at LB, why not make it 3.From what Iv hear, Briggs will be playing in a shoulder harness all year. Who knows what that will do to his play. We have 2 of the best college LB's in Greene and Jones, lets see what they can do. Briggs never was a leader on or off the field, plus he can't call plays well.

If we can pick up anybody or anything that will help us this year or next, I would make the trade. Right now we have 2 question marks at LB, why not make it 3.From what Iv hear, Briggs will be playing in a shoulder harness all year. Who knows what that will do to his play. We have 2 of the best college LB's in Greene and Jones, lets see what they can do. Briggs never was a leader on or off the field, plus he can't call plays well.

I agree with some of that but IF he can still play-we need him. A trade wouldnt bring much a 5th or 6th rounder.