New D scheme?

AZ54

This offseason I'm most curious about our new defensive scheme. Reading this article, along with Bostic's quotes, makes me wonder what differences we'll be seeing after a nearly a decade of the Tampa 2. Some of the board members have experience or knowledge of football well beyond my limitations. I'd like to hear thoughts on what changes we'll be seeing in our run fits (to use their term), or should be looking for players to do as I expect execution won't be perfect early on. Any ideas on what our LB assignments are now versus the old "get in your gap" of the Lovie 2?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...ml#.U5Mu2MY8icM

This offseason I'm most curious about our new defensive scheme. Reading this article, along with Bostic's quotes, makes me wonder what differences we'll be seeing after a nearly a decade of the Tampa 2. Some of the board members have experience or knowledge of football well beyond my limitations. I'd like to hear thoughts on what changes we'll be seeing in our run fits (to use their term), or should be looking for players to do as I expect execution won't be perfect early on. Any ideas on what our LB assignments are now versus the old "get in your gap" of the Lovie 2?

So as you probably know, but for the benefit of the discussion, the Tampa Cover 2 is kind of a misnomer.

Sure they play that zone, and others. But the thing that really defines the Cover 2 is that the front is a one gap front. Your comments clearly show you knew that already :)

From what Ive read, they will not be changing to a 2 gap front. But Tucker did allude to changing some fo the run fit rules, i.e. which one gap a given position is responsible for.

I like the one gap front. I think it's aggressive and maximizes the possibility for QB pressure, especially on running downs.

That said, a one gap run front also lends itself to blitz packages. I wouldnt be surprised if we saw a more diverse scheme from Tucker this year.

That said, being in a set zone while the front four gets fast pressure is certainly a recipe for interceptions. In zone, the players are facing the QB and reading him.

I can't wait to see the new scheme, even if it's not that different, and especially how the new talent plays within it!

So as you probably know, but for the benefit of the discussion, the Tampa Cover 2 is kind of a misnomer.

Sure they play that zone, and others. But the thing that really defines the Cover 2 is that the front is a one gap front. Your comments clearly show you knew that already :)

From what Ive read, they will not be changing to a 2 gap front. But Tucker did allude to changing some fo the run fit rules, i.e. which one gap a given position is responsible for.

I like the one gap front. I think it's aggressive and maximizes the possibility for QB pressure, especially on running downs.

That said, a one gap run front also lends itself to blitz packages. I wouldnt be surprised if we saw a more diverse scheme from Tucker this year.

That said, being in a set zone while the front four gets fast pressure is certainly a recipe for interceptions. In zone, the players are facing the QB and reading him.

I can't wait to see the new scheme, even if it's not that different, and especially how the new talent plays within it!

I agree, we'll be staying with a 1-gap front for the most part. Which is why I have the question on the LB run fits and why it seemingly would change so much according to Bostic. Whatever they are doing it seems we're going back to a more conventional way for the LB reads.

Here is my opinion...for what it is worth.

The Tampa, zone, thing...doesn't work.

Buddy's way works...

Attack is defence...it is simple.

Watch Buddy punch the O coach...all you need to know

Here is my opinion...for what it is worth.

The Tampa, zone, thing...doesn't work.

Buddy's way works...

Attack is defence...it is simple.

Watch Buddy punch the O coach...all you need to know

We will be out of a 4-3 but it will have different variations for the more attacking defense. I think it will be hugely better than last year. It will not be top of the league but will have its moments and with such a wonderful offense, will shine at times.