Bears on SI.com MMQB

madlithuanian

Shouldn't have expected anything less out of you....Had he not gotten injured he very well coulda made the pro bowl last year.

In defense of Terra, not that he's needing it, but what was proven last year was the Trestman can make a "mediocre" QB (McCown) look good. Despite this and given similar opportunities Cutler was able to still be a good QB, not 'elite', just good.

Sure the arguments can be made that Cutler faced tougher D's and that his stats were better than in the past but all that is retracted because he was injured.

Until Cutler is able to make a season injury free and put up stats that are more than middle of the road, he'll be average. And since he's receiving franchise money, now's the time for him to be the Franchise QB.

In defense of Terra, not that he's needing it, but what was proven last year was the Trestman can make a "mediocre" QB (McCown) look good. Despite this and given similar opportunities Cutler was able to still be a good QB, not 'elite', just good.

Sure the arguments can be made that Cutler faced tougher D's and that his stats were better than in the past but all that is retracted because he was injured.

Until Cutler is able to make a season injury free and put up stats that are more than middle of the road, he'll be average. And since he's receiving franchise money, now's the time for him to be the Franchise QB.

Agreed.......

I can respect that response.

When you look at his numbers he was on pace to have a pro bowl season, at least in the NFC anyway. But if you wanna call him average because he got hurt then so be it. I personally go by what he did when he was on the field and won't knock his talent because he got hurt. Staying healthy isn't a talent.

First off, injuries aren't the fault of the player. Very few exceptions to that. Jim McMahon head butting his lineman, maybe.

Second off, Cutler's deal is definitely within the normal realm of where QB's are being paid. No need to dig up all the stats again, they're all already posted in other Cutler fight thread.

With all of that said, I agree with you, this is Cutler's year to prove he can step into elite status. I'll give him a pass so far given he's been under Lovie and his incompetent offensive coordinators, bad O Lines, and injuries. The O Line is repaired, this is his second year under Trestman and he's healthy. If he doesn't look like a top 5 QB out of the gate this year, I'll be very disappointed.

Guest TerraTor
First off, injuries aren't the fault of the player. Very few exceptions to that. Jim McMahon head butting his lineman, maybe.

Second off, Cutler's deal is definitely within the normal realm of where QB's are being paid. No need to dig up all the stats again, they're all already posted in other Cutler fight thread.

With all of that said, I agree with you, this is Cutler's year to prove he can step into elite status. I'll give him a pass so far given he's been under Lovie and his incompetent offensive coordinators, bad O Lines, and injuries. The O Line is repaired, this is his second year under Trestman and he's healthy. If he doesn't look like a top 5 QB out of the gate this year, I'll be very disappointed.

Finally.... Thank you

Top 5 is tough...

Let's look at it.

In no real particular order for the 5...

1. Peyton Manning (HoF'er...better than Cutler, argument if best ever)

2. Brady (HoF'er...better than Cutler, argument if best ever)

3. Brees (HoF'er...better than Cutler)

4. Rodgers (more than likely HoF'er...better than Cutler)

5. Others like Luck (looks like a HoF'er already), Roethlisberger (not a fan, but he's won big games), Wilson (too much upside), Kaepernick (If he improves, he has crazy upside), Romo (the guy is always a beat away from being great), and Ryan (seems to have all the tools)

So, really to say Cutty needs to be top 5 isn't really necessary. I think he just needs to be top 10. Better than most. Top 1/3.

And I could care less if he's 32nd as long as he gets us the SB win!

Finally.... Thank you

Not likely, but possible IMO. He and McCown combined for 4450 yards which would have been just 28 yards behind Rivers for 5th. Their combined 32 TDs would have been 4th.

When you discard the washington game where he had an early exit, Jay averaged 262 YPG, which would have been 10th in the league....that includes the Det game where he was obviously injured. I'm a firm believer that average could have gone way up if he got to play some of those dreadful teams McCown played against. 282 was 5th best.

Top 5 is tough...

Let's look at it.

In no real particular order for the 5...

1. Peyton Manning (HoF'er...better than Cutler, argument if best ever)

2. Brady (HoF'er...better than Cutler, argument if best ever)

3. Brees (HoF'er...better than Cutler)

4. Rodgers (more than likely HoF'er...better than Cutler)

5. Others like Luck (looks like a HoF'er already), Roethlisberger (not a fan, but he's won big games), Wilson (too much upside), Kaepernick (If he improves, he has crazy upside), Romo (the guy is always a beat away from being great), and Ryan (seems to have all the tools)

So, really to say Cutty needs to be top 5 isn't really necessary. I think he just needs to be top 10. Better than most. Top 1/3.

And I could care less if he's 32nd as long as he gets us the SB win!

Well how about at least come close? So far he hasn't. And what's more since his contract seems to be in line with other QB's recently re-signed (or about to be) and some of them are ones you consider at least in the Top 10, then yes I would expect he be in that upper tier. If he were to only be 32nd and the team still gets to the Super Bowl, then we might as well have kept McCown at a lower rate and drafted a Qb with the 1 or 2 pick.

Not enough will be known until this year is played. Truth be told if Cutler is able to get through the first 8 games unscathed AND showing worthy stats, I'll buy in that maybe he's worth the investment.

My feeling towards Cutler is similar to Daventry, I was a HUGE fan of the signing but the luster has started to tarnish.

I can respect that response.

When you look at his numbers he was on pace to have a pro bowl season, at least in the NFC anyway. But if you wanna call him average because he got hurt then so be it. I personally go by what he did when he was on the field and won't knock his talent because he got hurt. Staying healthy isn't a talent.

What he could have done versus what he's done, regardless of the circumstances, is moot.

He's average because of his "body of work" not just because of his last year's performance. Blame the Oline, blame the coordinators, blame the coaches...he has remained average.

At one point Aaron Rodgers was getting sacked more than Cutler yet he still is able to perform and still qualifies as a potential HOF'er (according to MadLith).

What he could have done versus what he's done, regardless of the circumstances, is moot.

He's average because of his "body of work" not just because of his last year's performance. Blame the Oline, blame the coordinators, blame the coaches...he has remained average.

At one point Aaron Rodgers was getting sacked more than Cutler yet he still is able to perform and still qualifies as a potential HOF'er (according to MadLith).

If thats the way you wanna look at it, fine. I wouldn't call what he was doing in this offense before injury moot though, but that's me.

The blame before last year was pretty legit.

Aaron Rodgers has always had great weapons.

I guess stats don't mean much to me. Other than the win/loss column. To me, the champ QB's make big plays when they are needed. That's what I want from Cutler. Not fantasy stats... We've seen some, and seen him miss more. The table is simply set for him to make the most of it. All we can do now is watch and root.

No lustre wears off for me until we've been eliminated from the playoffs...andmuch will depned on how.

Well how about at least come close? So far he hasn't. And what's more since his contract seems to be in line with other QB's recently re-signed (or about to be) and some of them are ones you consider at least in the Top 10, then yes I would expect he be in that upper tier. If he were to only be 32nd and the team still gets to the Super Bowl, then we might as well have kept McCown at a lower rate and drafted a Qb with the 1 or 2 pick.

Not enough will be known until this year is played. Truth be told if Cutler is able to get through the first 8 games unscathed AND showing worthy stats, I'll buy in that maybe he's worth the investment.

My feeling towards Cutler is similar to Daventry, I was a HUGE fan of the signing but the luster has started to tarnish.

The bottom line for those of us who were shocked to the core when JA traded for Cutler is that this will be the first year his entire offensive team will remain intact and he now has 3 pro bowl weapons and a potential 4th on offense and his second year in a qb friendly scheme with the same OC, gives him no more excuses.

There are only a handful of QBs that make people around them better. Cutlers body of work has been mediocre, but all of the odds have been against him until 2 years ago when the team started giving him some help. He is not an elite QB but he will be remembered as a top 10 type of QB after he has team success in the next few years. As far as the money , there are only a few in the league worth all of that money, he doesnt deserve it anymore than Flacco,Romo,Capernick, only the Mannings, Brady's of the world are. Trestman thinks he is the man and our best chance to success so I will trust him and see what happens. Your opinion is moot, same as mine, only the brass has ones that count.

Yeah, Trestman was an average QB but he seems to be one heck of a coach..

For what it is worth, I think Cutler has all of the gifts that any QB coach could wish for.....

Just like Jeff George did.

So, if he grows up, he can be great.

If not....he will not have long with the Bears.....I hope.

For what it is worth, I think Cutler has all of the gifts that any QB coach could wish for.....

Just like Jeff George did.

So, if he grows up, he can be great.

If not....he will not have long with the Bears.....I hope.

I do not like comparisons to Jeff George. JG was a not a good team mate, not a good worker and a complete pussy. Cutler is the opposite.

I do not like comparisons to Jeff George. JG was a not a good team mate, not a good worker and a complete pussy. Cutler is the opposite.

I hear you Mongo, I did not intend to compare any characteristic of Cutler to Jeff George besides both of their extreme physical gifts.

George had an arm like a cannon and was the perfect size to be an excellent QB; he did not grow up emotionally.

I think as long as Cutler continues to develop emotionally and, even more importantly, be fortunate enough not to get injured badly I personally do not see any reason that he could be quite a special QB.

I am really hoping both of those things happen!

I hear you Mongo, I did not intend to compare any characteristic of Cutler to Jeff George besides both of their extreme physical gifts.

George had an arm like a cannon and was the perfect size to be an excellent QB; he did not grow up emotionally.

I think as long as Cutler continues to develop emotionally and, even more importantly, be fortunate enough not to get injured badly I personally do not see any reason that he could be quite a special QB.

I am really hoping both of those things happen!

:cheers