The Big Question

Daventry

Well....this is the question that lurks in all of our minds...

We have all suffered through defeats and losses...waiting since 1985/1986 for a Super Bowl.....

So...what say you, learned friends, about how we will do this year?

One can never predict injury....but.

I say, if we stay injury free, or relatively, we will definitely be NFC Champs.

And...if Cutler steps up and shows his best, we might just be able to hit the big one!

Right there with you...

If we make the right plays at the right times during the regular and post season, we will be SB winners.

We have all suffered through defeats and losses...waiting since 1985/1986 for a Super Bowl.....

And...if Cutler steps up and shows his best, we might just be able to hit the big one!

Right there with you...

If we make the right plays at the right times during the regular and post season, we will be SB winners.

In addition to the questions about injury and the D, I also want to see if Trestman grows a bit this year in his role. He frankly made some mistakes last year. They were errors of aggression so I forgave them a lot easier than I would if he was constantly playing it safe. But he needs to do a better job out there too.

If Jay lives up to his potential, if the D is at worst average, if we see few injuries, if we get a little lucky, if we do better on ST's, if we stay focused thoughout the season... It could be a damn good year.

All agreed.

In addition to the questions about injury and the D, I also want to see if Trestman grows a bit this year in his role. He frankly made some mistakes last year. They were errors of aggression so I forgave them a lot easier than I would if he was constantly playing it safe. But he needs to do a better job out there too.

If Jay lives up to his potential, if the D is at worst average, if we see few injuries, if we get a little lucky, if we do better on ST's, if we stay focused thoughout the season... It could be a damn good year.

For the record, our team has been to a Super Bowl since '85. Going to one and winning one are two different things. To this day there are still teams that can claim neither.

As many times as our team has come close to winning the NFC North these last few years I'm fairly confident that they will this year. Detroit - non factor, Minnesota - same, GB - hasn't done much to improve ( maybe stagnated?). As far as NFC champs? With teams like Seattle, SF and TB ... Yes TB... In the mix, less likely.

I will hand it to Emery, he's trying his darndest to fix what ills them. That being the D. I think the success of the overall team weighs heavily on the pieces all falling into place and Tucker completing the puzzle.

For the record, our team has been to a Super Bowl since '85. Going to one and winning one are two different things. To this day there are still teams that can claim neither.

As many times as our team has come close to winning the NFC North these last few years I'm fairly confident that they will this year. Detroit - non factor, Minnesota - same, GB - hasn't done much to improve ( maybe stagnated?). As far as NFC champs? With teams like Seattle, SF and TB ... Yes TB... In the mix, less likely.

I will hand it to Emery, he's trying his darndest to fix what ills them. That being the D. I think the success of the overall team weighs heavily on the pieces all falling into place and Tucker completing the puzzle.

Of course you are right Alaskan, apologies......since we got beat I forgot!

A lot depends on Trestman, agreed, but I think he can do it.....

Every thing you said makes sense, but the TB thing is quite a joke. They will have a winning record, but wont be one of the top 5 teams in the NFC. Quit drinking that Lovie cool aid, starting to make any good comments you make be questioned.

We have too many question marks on defense, new scheme included, for me to be confident we'll go far in the playoffs. I can see us winning the NFC North but to go beyond that I'll have to wait to see how the team is coming together mid-season.

Every thing you said makes sense, but the TB thing is quite a joke. They will have a winning record, but wont be one of the top 5 teams in the NFC. Quit drinking that Lovie cool aid, starting to make any good comments you make be questioned.

I'd be willing to make a wager with you (similar to the one Mad Lith and I have - but for just this year), except I know how much you hate to be proven wrong.

I'd be willing to make a wager with you (similar to the one Mad Lith and I have - but for just this year), except I know how much you hate to be proven wrong.

You really think TB is going to do something in that division with ATL, NO, and CAR? Even if CAR is worse this year, they will still be a tough team to beat. TB also has a tough non-division schedule: BAL, CIN, PIT, CLE, GB, CHI, DET, MIN, WAS, and STL. They were 4-12 last year; at best, they make it back to 8-8, which still would be a huge success.

The 2 WC teams last year had 12 and 11 wins, and the 5th best team by record was 10-6. So you are saying they are going at least 10-6, possibly 11-5? If they split their Division, they would have to win 7-8 games against those non-divisional opponents. That is pretty unrealistic. The problem with TB was their anemic offense, and they are counting on McCown, a rookie WR and TE to magically turn the team around. Who knows what McCown will look like in a new system not under Trestman.

To me TB seems to be more in the 6-10 area than the 10-6 area.

What ever you wish to bet, Im all in, we all have our opinions, when I am wrong, I have no problem admitting it, unlike some people on here. Name your poison and Im in.They will not have one of the top 5 records in the NFC?

The table is certainly set for us to take the next steps towards not only getting back to the big game but winning it as well.

The offense returns basically the same group from last year plus if there's any substance to the talk of Wilson turning heads. Last year we had two monsters on the outside in Jeffery, and Marshall, along with Bennet as a big target, now you add a 4th big target, we could be downright lethal in the red zone. Who do you focus on? We upgraded our backup RB situation. Carey may be a rookie but he has a lot better potential than Michael Bush. I can see our offense forcing defenses to play a lot of Nickel to try and cover our WR's but then you risk leaving a softer box for Forte to burn you. Our offense could be top 5 this year and create nightmares for DC's picking their poison. Offense was our strength last year and should continue and only get better.

Defense is what cost us the NFC north last year or any chance to do anything.

• This offseason we added run stuffers to a D that was historically bad at stopping the run.
  • This offseason we added pass rushers to a D that couldn't get to the QB
  • This offseason we added depth and some potential upgrades to the secondary to a D that couldn't clean up the mistakes in front of them on the D line
  • We do have a new system which may be a hybrid of concepts we've run before but sounds like the goal is to throw different looks at oppsoing offenses.

Offensively I'm excited to see them take the next step. Defensively I can see us getting off to a slow start as the players gels more and gets more proficient in running the new system. The way I look at it is If the offense can carry us early, and the D doesn't cost us games early, by the time we get to the end of the season the D could be getting strong and good at the right time. We've seen this happen with other teams in the past. I look for the Bears to be better top to bottom at the end of the season then they will at the start. If we can survive the growing pains and stay with the competition early on I like our chances. As with any team injuries can potentially ruin good plans, so staying healthy is important. I see us going somewhere between 10-6 and 12-4, NFC North title, and a shot at going to the Super Bowl. Once you make it to the playoffs anything can happen good or bad.

The table is certainly set for us to take the next steps towards not only getting back to the big game but winning it as well.

The offense returns basically the same group from last year plus if there's any substance to the talk of Wilson turning heads. Last year we had two monsters on the outside in Jeffery, and Marshall, along with Bennet as a big target, now you add a 4th big target, we could be downright lethal in the red zone. Who do you focus on? We upgraded our backup RB situation. Carey may be a rookie but he has a lot better potential than Michael Bush. I can see our offense forcing defenses to play a lot of Nickel to try and cover our WR's but then you risk leaving a softer box for Forte to burn you. Our offense could be top 5 this year and create nightmares for DC's picking their poison. Offense was our strength last year and should continue and only get better.

Defense is what cost us the NFC north last year or any chance to do anything.

• This offseason we added run stuffers to a D that was historically bad at stopping the run.
  • This offseason we added pass rushers to a D that couldn't get to the QB
  • This offseason we added depth and some potential upgrades to the secondary to a D that couldn't clean up the mistakes in front of them on the D line
  • We do have a new system which may be a hybrid of concepts we've run before but sounds like the goal is to throw different looks at oppsoing offenses.

Offensively I'm excited to see them take the next step. Defensively I can see us getting off to a slow start as the players gels more and gets more proficient in running the new system. The way I look at it is If the offense can carry us early, and the D doesn't cost us games early, by the time we get to the end of the season the D could be getting strong and good at the right time. We've seen this happen with other teams in the past. I look for the Bears to be better top to bottom at the end of the season then they will at the start. If we can survive the growing pains and stay with the competition early on I like our chances. As with any team injuries can potentially ruin good plans, so staying healthy is important. I see us going somewhere between 10-6 and 12-4, NFC North title, and a shot at going to the Super Bowl. Once you make it to the playoffs anything can happen good or bad.

Some other numbers that make you want to vomit:

- The Bears allowed 20+ pts in every game, with 7 games over 30 pts, 4 over 40, and 1 over 50. It is actually amazing we ended up at 8-8 and had a realistic shot at 11-5 (MIN, DET, and GB games). What is crazy in all of that is we only lost by more than 10 pts twice. #offensivejuggernaut

- The passing defense was decent, as we only allowed 2x 300 yard passers all year (Big Ben and Rodgers). That pass to Cobb put him over 300, ouch. #blowncoverage

- We only had 4 games where we allowed less than 100 yards on the ground (3-1 in those games) #smcisnotade

So we really have a lot of room to improve. If we can go from 30's to 15th in defense (seems like a lot, but I think we can even be better ~ 12th), we would shave 50 yards off a game against, and 6 pts per game. That is 4 wins (4 games that we lost by 5 or less).

Some other numbers that make you want to vomit:

- The Bears allowed 20+ pts in every game, with 7 games over 30 pts, 4 over 40, and 1 over 50. It is actually amazing we ended up at 8-8 and had a realistic shot at 11-5 (MIN, DET, and GB games). What is crazy in all of that is we only lost by more than 10 pts twice. #offensivejuggernaut

- The passing defense was decent, as we only allowed 2x 300 yard passers all year (Big Ben and Rodgers). That pass to Cobb put him over 300, ouch. #blowncoverage

- We only had 4 games where we allowed less than 100 yards on the ground (3-1 in those games) #smcisnotade

So we really have a lot of room to improve. If we can go from 30's to 15th in defense (seems like a lot, but I think we can even be better ~ 12th), we would shave 50 yards off a game against, and 6 pts per game. That is 4 wins (4 games that we lost by 5 or less).

The passing defense was decent only because teams could handoff all day long against us. If players weren't bouncing off Eddy Lacy all game long I'm pretty sure Rodgers would have thrown a few more passes for completions. Rarely do I thank the Cowboys for anything but at least last year they saved us from being the worse defense in the league.

I like what we did this offseason to replenish the ranks on D so I know we'll be better than we were in the second half of 2013. However, I need to see some people getting the snot knocked out of them before I can feel like we have a proper defense again.

You really think TB is going to do something in that division with ATL, NO, and CAR? Even if CAR is worse this year, they will still be a tough team to beat. TB also has a tough non-division schedule: BAL, CIN, PIT, CLE, GB, CHI, DET, MIN, WAS, and STL. They were 4-12 last year; at best, they make it back to 8-8, which still would be a huge success.

The 2 WC teams last year had 12 and 11 wins, and the 5th best team by record was 10-6. So you are saying they are going at least 10-6, possibly 11-5? If they split their Division, they would have to win 7-8 games against those non-divisional opponents. That is pretty unrealistic. The problem with TB was their anemic offense, and they are counting on McCown, a rookie WR and TE to magically turn the team around. Who knows what McCown will look like in a new system not under Trestman.

To me TB seems to be more in the 6-10 area than the 10-6 area.

The quick answer to you is 'anything is possible'.

But a few things to consider. First, McCown could legitimately be a starter. The "magic" that Trestman performed with McCown didn't necessarily translate to Cutler. My thought on that was McCown was better adaptably to what Trestman had for an offense than did Cutler. Whether Cutler is successful enough to run the offense a full season remains to be seen. And in regards to that 'anemic offense' how about this for comparables? Glennon last year: 247/416 for 2,608 (59.4%)19 TDs to 9 INTs. Cutler: 224/335 (63.1% - whopping 4% difference) for 2,621 yds for 19 TD's to 12 INTs. Now it is safe to say that Cutler/McCown easily had the better talent work with last year (over Glennon) but with our "franchise QB" as the barometer, the stats don't show a lot better. I believe the largest knock on the offense last year, besides Doug Martin being out with an injury, was the lack of YAC yards from the receivers. Safe to say that due to TB drafting efforts they concentrated on improving that. With Tedford (who coached the likes of Dilfer and Aaron Rodgers while at Cal) it could be said he may possess some of the similar 'whispering' abilities that Trestman has. Maybe not, but that too remains to be seen.

And as far as defense goes, I think it goes without saying but we all know Lovie knows defense. Add to that mix; Michael Johnson, Gerald McCoy, Lavonte David, Mark Barron, Mike Jenkins, Dashon Goldson and Alterraun Verner yes I think it highly probable that TB could post a pretty respectable record. I'd go as far as saying top 5 NFC.

What ever you wish to bet, Im all in, we all have our opinions, when I am wrong, I have no problem admitting it, unlike some people on here. Name your poison and Im in.They will not have one of the top 5 records in the NFC?

We could do that. Or that TB will have a better record than Chicago next year. And our wager would be similar to the one MadLith made that says the loser pays to the Walter Payton cancer research foundation.

We could do that. Or that TB will have a better record than Chicago next year. And our wager would be similar to the one MadLith made that says the loser pays to the Walter Payton cancer research foundation.

That all sounds good. At the end of the year when I bring this back up, dont be upset when I rub it in your face. As far as TB goes, I think Lovie is a good coach, but will take him a few years to get the act together. The problem with McCown is the only good stint he has had in the league is when he was with Trestman, and T wont be in Tampa with him. Cutler is a better QB and one partial year does not make a career. I wish him well but it will not be as easy as last year was for him.

So will you be changing your handle to (Alaskan Buccaneer)? I am a Bear fan first and foremost, Lovies gone so now Im on the Trestman bandwagon. Get your loyalties straight and start supporting players and coaches that are here instead of living in the past.

That all sounds good. At the end of the year when I bring this back up, dont be upset when I rub it in your face. As far as TB goes, I think Lovie is a good coach, but will take him a few years to get the act together. The problem with McCown is the only good stint he has had in the league is when he was with Trestman, and T wont be in Tampa with him. Cutler is a better QB and one partial year does not make a career. I wish him well but it will not be as easy as last year was for him.

So will you be changing your handle to (Alaskan Buccaneer)? I am a Bear fan first and foremost, Lovies gone so now Im on the Trestman bandwagon. Get your loyalties straight and start supporting players and coaches that are here instead of living in the past.

AG is and I am sure will always be a Bears fan, just because he thinks TB will prosper this year does not mean he is a TB fan or has less loyalty to the Bears. There are a lot of teams in the NFL I believe will have good 2014 success, that certainly does not mean I am any less a Bears fan. I do not think TB is any more than an 8/8 team in 2014 but there is really no way of telling. The deck is stacked against them because of being in a tough division.

First thanks Pix, you're right haven't lost my love for the Bears. Only once was that really ever in question when I was about 6 because I liked the color purple, so I had a pair of Vikings mittens. The admiration of the Vikings was fleeting though I assure you.

Been a Bears fan all of my 45 years ( probably longer than you've been around Stinger). Born in Great Lakes, have family still in Woodstock. Never had as much passion as I do for the Bears. Ask my former and current wives. Ask my kids. Ask anyone who knows me they'll tell you I'm annoyingly obsessed with the team.

Just so happens I have a respectability for Lovie. Like how he coaches, like the product he puts on the field. Especially when it comes to defense. Love the 'rock me sockem' relentless style of play he conjures up. TB has never really threatened the Bears not even when they were in the same division. But if I had my way I'd just as soon see the Bears and Bucs play for the NFC championship. Rest assured that my allegiance would not be tested on that day, I'd still root for blue and orange until I was hoarse.

Do I think that will happen? Probably not, but it would be cool to see.

So since you're so smart Stinger, riddle me this. For the longest time why, if I was asked to choose a favorite second team, would I choose the Cardinals?

First thanks Pix, you're right haven't lost my love for the Bears. Only once was that really ever in question when I was about 6 because I liked the color purple, so I had a pair of Vikings mittens. The admiration of the Vikings was fleeting though I assure you.

Been a Bears fan all of my 45 years ( probably longer than you've been around Stinger). Born in Great Lakes, have family still in Woodstock. Never had as much passion as I do for the Bears. Ask my former and current wives. Ask my kids. Ask anyone who knows me they'll tell you I'm annoyingly obsessed with the team.

Just so happens I have a respectability for Lovie. Like how he coaches, like the product he puts on the field. Especially when it comes to defense. Love the 'rock me sockem' relentless style of play he conjures up. TB has never really threatened the Bears not even when they were in the same division. But if I had my way I'd just as soon see the Bears and Bucs play for the NFC championship. Rest assured that my allegiance would not be tested on that day, I'd still root for blue and orange until I was hoarse.

Do I think that will happen? Probably not, but it would be cool to see.

So since you're so smart Stinger, riddle me this. For the longest time why, if I was asked to choose a favorite second team, would I choose the Cardinals?

I graduated high school the year you were born, so you havent been a Bears fan longer than me. I am not foolish enough to think your not a Bears fan, its called jacking to get a reaction and I did. Dont really care what your second , third, and 4th choice of (favorite teams). I will remember the next time how great of a Bears fan you are, when your cutting down Cutler, praising McCown. High fiving Lovie and trying to find fault in Trestman.

I graduated high school the year you were born, so you havent been a Bears fan longer than me. I am not foolish enough to think your not a Bears fan, its called jacking to get a reaction and I did. Dont really care what your second , third, and 4th choice of (favorite teams). I will remember the next time how great of a Bears fan you are, when your cutting down Cutler, praising McCown. High fiving Lovie and trying to find fault in Trestman.

Whatever. You're a douche.

The answer is Arizona Cardinals. As it turns out they, along with the Bears, are one of the only original members of the NFL having been formed actually in the late 1800's but signing on in 1920...based out of Chicago. (sorry mongo if I stole your thunder).

Go Bears! Good luck Lovie.