Addition by Subtraction

adam

Last year we were historically bad on defense for numerous reasons. Obviously injuries, scheme, new coaches, loss of Urlacher, all took their toll. However, just looking at a few guys who we let go this off season tells you how bad we actualy were.

1. James Anderson, started 16 games and was our leading tackler? He also had 4 sacks. However, he looked as lost as Bostic and Greene half the time and didn't have their speed to recover. He seemed out of position a lot. He is now a Nickel LB in NE. To me, he was a big reason why we couldn't stop the run.

2. Major Wright, started 15 games. He has been hot and cold his entire career, but last year he was horrible. Replacing him with a tackling dummy would yield better results. So I see this as a huge upgrade, with either Mundy or Vereen. At best he will be TB's 3rd Safety behind Barron and Goldson.

3. Julius Peppers, started 16 games. He only had 7.5 sacks and was only disruptive when he wanted to be. He disappeared more last year than I can ever remember and his reputation for taking plays off really showed up. Replacing him with a younger Jared Allen who is very similar but with a motor that never stops is going to be an upgrade. GB says they will use him as an end, inside, and even at OLB. The OLB part is funny to me if Peppers is expected to drop into coverage regularly.

4. Zack Bowman, another on again off again player for the Bears, started 7 games. He is now in NY for CB depth. Fuller is a huge upgrade here in the Nickel.

5. Corey Wootton, started 15 games. He played half his snaps at DT, which is laughable. No wonder we couldn't plug a gap (270 lbs). The best part is Minny says they will use him both inside and outside. Good luck with that.

Now you take those losses, and replace them with Allen, Houston, Young, Ferguson, Sutton, Fuller, Mundy, Senn, and Vereen with a converted SMC, and we are looking really good. If Wilson or Jennings pan out, even better.