Do we have depth at LB?

AZ54

The battle for LB is clearly going to be the most competitive position battle in training camp. I put the battle for safety spots right behind it because I think the talent at LB is better overall.

We have Briggs as the only player slotted to a role. After him we have D.J. Williams, SMC, Bostic, Greene, and toss in UDFA Christian Jones. Reggie Herring was very complimentary of SMC and Bostic when he recently stated either could have started for him at MLB in Dallas or Houston. DJ says he's not going to the bench without a fight. ESPN's Michael Wright doesn't even have Greene making the final cut with the team preferring Jordan Senn's special teams abilities.

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/bears-camp...n-out-among-lbs

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...rojected-roster

The battle for LB is clearly going to be the most competitive position battle in training camp. I put the battle for safety spots right behind it because I think the talent at LB is better overall.

We have Briggs as the only player slotted to a role. After him we have D.J. Williams, SMC, Bostic, Greene, and toss in UDFA Christian Jones. Reggie Herring was very complimentary of SMC and Bostic when he recently stated either could have started for him at MLB in Dallas or Houston. DJ says he's not going to the bench without a fight. ESPN's Michael Wright doesn't even have Greene making the final cut with the team preferring Jordan Senn's special teams abilities.

Christian Jones looks really damn good. IMO, I don't see how he doesn't make the team. Assuming we have Briggs, SMC, DJ Williams, and either Greene/Senn. Barring injury, it's likely those are your six linebackers. We won't keep more than six.

Don't get me wrong, it's a position with either young guys who haven't done a damn thing or guys who are too old to play. Briggs is slow.

I'm more worried about having 3 guys who can play effectively than depth.

It remains to be seen how it all turns out, kinda one of the interesting battles going on this camp. Other than Briggs its all a question to the effectiveness. Coaches being positive about an unproven commodity it better than a bunch of negativity around the position.

Christian Jones looks really damn good. IMO, I don't see how he doesn't make the team. Assuming we have Briggs, SMC, DJ Williams, and either Greene/Senn. Barring injury, it's likely those are your six linebackers. We won't keep more than six.

Don't get me wrong, it's a position with either young guys who haven't done a damn thing or guys who are too old to play. Briggs is slow.

I'm more worried about having 3 guys who can play effectively than depth.

Very disappointing to hear Briggs looks slow. He's has proven he is not a workout warrior and at his age it is much easier to go over the cliff in terms of athletic ability. We'll see if he picks it up as camp moves along. I also realize he's a veteran who is not going to put out much energy early in camp but this is something worth monitoring as we go through the preseason.

Very disappointing to hear Briggs looks slow. He's has proven he is not a workout warrior and at his age it is much easier to go over the cliff in terms of athletic ability. We'll see if he picks it up as camp moves along. I also realize he's a veteran who is not going to put out much energy early in camp but this is something worth monitoring as we go through the preseason.

As far as I have read, he is not completely over his injury from last year. It might have detoured his work outs and will have to get into shape during training camp.

I'm excited to see this years D, I believe coaching is a difference maker. I think Herring will have these guys ready and will make a big difference with the youth. We have McClellin, Bostic, Greene and Jones under contract for 2-3 seasons. If they can follow coaching, LB won't be a need until 2015-2016. Future picks can be used to fill S, DT, and CB next year.

What if Briggs ends up sucking? What do you think then?

The bigger question in my mind is what will it take for the coaches to bench him if he's playing poorly. We're a long way from that point because the young players haven't shown anything yet but if it happens it will be a pivotal moment. First step in that process would likely be to see him end up as a 2 down player. If this is a possibility we'd likely some of that (Briggs not on the field) on 3rd downs in the 3rd preseason game. Coaches would certainly want to see the others (whoever they may be) on the field against the 1's.

The bigger question in my mind is what will it take for the coaches to bench him if he's playing poorly. We're a long way from that point because the young players haven't shown anything yet but if it happens it will be a pivotal moment. First step in that process would likely be to see him end up as a 2 down player. If this is a possibility we'd likely some of that (Briggs not on the field) on 3rd downs in the 3rd preseason game. Coaches would certainly want to see the others (whoever they may be) on the field against the 1's.

If Briggs can't hang, bring in Greene. Reports out of camp are Greene looks the best out of the group. I do think Briggs plays lights out, this is a contract year and that guy likes money.

If Briggs can't hang, bring in Greene. Reports out of camp are Greene looks the best out of the group. I do think Briggs plays lights out, this is a contract year and that guy likes money.

I agree, there is no way Briggs sucks this year. He wants one more "real" contract, and there is no way he gets over a one-year flyer deal if he has a bad year.

Greene had one interception and he's mainly running with the 2nd team and working on special teams.

As for Briggs, I know he'd love to play lights out, but can he do it at age 34? Either way, a mediocre Briggs is probably pretty good.