Bears sign OL Dylan Gandy

Stinger226

Probably to fill in while Long is battling the viral infection.

True that. Good thought.

FWIW. I'm a fan of Kromers since he came to Chicago. Has brought two pretty decent OLmen (Bushrod and DeLepuente) over from NO since joining us. (By the by, I see DLP as a sleeper of sorts - if OLmen can be). And he (Kromer) seems to compliment Trestman and his strategy. Wonder why he left NO?

True that. Good thought.

FWIW. I'm a fan of Kromers since he came to Chicago. Has brought two pretty decent OLmen (Bushrod and DeLepuente) over from NO since joining us. (By the by, I see DLP as a sleeper of sorts - if OLmen can be). And he (Kromer) seems to compliment Trestman and his strategy. Wonder why he left NO?

When you read the comments of NO fans you find they don't miss DLP at all because he couldn't run block and wasn't all that great in pass protection either. Now with Kromer out of NO how much of that had to do with possibly a new approach to blocking last season? DLP tested the market and when there wasn't much out there for him he had no hesitation about returning to Kromer's system and tutelage here in Chicago. NO got back in the talks and likely would have taken him back for what we paid him and he said goodbye. We also know that with both centers available in FA the Bears (and Kromer) clearly chose to go after Garza first.

Given all that (few bidders on the FA market) and his home team luke warm on keeping him I'm not sure what we have in him. I like having him on the roster for his experience in our blocking scheme and C behind Garza was a big question mark. Our OG depth was/is still somewhat of a question mark too. I think signing him to backup Garza was a great move and maybe he'll play well again and we end up signing him next year to a longer contract.