New WR Greg Herd

AZ54

Let's hope this one goes better than the last ex-Cowboy WR named Hurd. One thing is clear, if you want to be a Bears WR you will likely be 6'-3" or taller, and if you're not then you will be really fast. I'd say the days of having an Earl Bennett, shorter, slower but with very good hands, on the roster are over. Herd ran a 4.49 forty at his pro day a year ago and was signed by Dallas as UDFA then promptly cut. Seahawks then picked him up and he didn't last long there either. There had to be some glaring weakness he showed to get cut so quickly…maybe lack of knowing how to run routes.

Given the complexity of our offense I was expecting we'd sign a more experienced player but at this point none are available. Maybe he surprises and he's been working on his weakness for a year but right now I say this is a temporary move to see what this guy has to offer. If he shows something maybe they stick him on the practice squad. Once roster cut downs happen I expect we'll be watching the WR market.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0805-story.html

Let's hope this one goes better than the last ex-Cowboy WR named Hurd. One thing is clear, if you want to be a Bears WR you will likely be 6'-3" or taller, and if you're not then you will be really fast. I'd say the days of having an Earl Bennett, shorter, slower but with very good hands, on the roster are over. Herd ran a 4.49 forty at his pro day a year ago and was signed by Dallas as UDFA then promptly cut. Seahawks then picked him up and he didn't last long there either. There had to be some glaring weakness he showed to get cut so quickly…maybe lack of knowing how to run routes.

Given the complexity of our offense I was expecting we'd sign a more experienced player but at this point none are available. Maybe he surprises and he's been working on his weakness for a year but right now I say this is a temporary move to see what this guy has to offer. If he shows something maybe they stick him on the practice squad. Once roster cut downs happen I expect we'll be watching the WR market.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0805-story.html

I find this an odd signing. He has been available this whole offseason and curious why, if they thought of him, that they didnt sign him earlier? Doesnt look like Bennett is much of an option at this point.