Great article on Trestman about the suspension of Bennett

madlithuanian

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/...pect-and-trust/

Marc Trestman wants to create a culture of respect and trust

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 6, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT

Martellus Bennett, Marc Trestman

AP

The Bears didn’t attach a time frame to tight end Marcellus Bennett’s suspension for slamming a teammate to the ground in practice, so today was just another day in day-to-day.

But Bears coach Marc Trestman said Wednesday the goal of the conversations about sitting his starting tight end was deeper than a simple punishment for conduct detrimental to the team.

“The overriding philosophy is to get to know each other, to develop levels of trust between each other – coaches to players, players to coaches – and to define our behavior through respect and humility,” Trestman said of training camp, via Dan Wiederer of the Chicago Tribune. “We’re going to respect everybody around us. We’re going to treat them in high regard and we’re going to understand what humility means. Which is that we’re part of something that’s bigger than ourselves. It’s really that simple.

“If you understand the definition of those three things and you love football and want to play it and are a baller, we’ll find a place for you. We’re also in a position where we don’t expect everybody to understand that immediately. That’s a process. That’s a transformational process. It doesn’t take one week. It doesn’t take one month. It may not take a year. It may take more. But that’s the day-to-day message that we’re sending our coaches and I’m sending our players.”

That’s actually really deep and genuine, and deserves more attention than it will get in a sound-bite driven world.

Trestman comes off as a bit of a nutty professor sometimes, but those are the words of a teacher and a counselor who has chosen to apply his knowledge to football, rather than just telling us “it is what it is.”

And it also makes it clear that Trestman is looking for something more than an apology from Bennett, and has a high standard for everyone around him.

I heard part of this interview on the news.

Tons of respect for what Trestman is trying to do. Let's hope it works.

Peace :dabears

I was thinking the same. I really hope he lasts a couple more years here. He is re-inventing the wheel with his approach and it could prove to be the beginning of something great. He and Emery are locked onto the same page with their transparency and I love it.

Trestman is a breath of fresh air when it comes to interviews and answering reporters questions. He answers honestly the questions he wants to answer and respectfully tells reports how much information he is willing to give about a particular situation. There is no bristling or arrogant comments about understanding the game and some bogus coach speak that tells you nothing.

I'm glad they are trying to nip this in the bud because it seems that Bennett is really a meathead and with Cutler praising Fuller for the way he handled himself and Marshall getting in Bennett's ear its clear the players wanted to see him disciplined.