We got rid of him for who????

Wesson44

We got rid of him for $3mil in cap space, at least that is what I think he signed for and IIRC his deal with us would have cost $2mil. That can translate into whoever you deem it to be among our signees this offseason. Since it seems clear Willie Young and Houston we're our early targets I'd say overall it translated into keeping enough room available that we were able to get Jared Allen. That space along with what Cutler's contract conversion freed up. If you prefer a straight up comparison I'll take the combination of WR Marquess Wilson and KR/PR Williams and the extra cap space.

No i think we just needed to use him in the right way.

They were using the right way - as a returner only - and his skills had diminished to where he wasn't worth $2 million a year for the team. Again, I wish him luck. I hope he breaks Deon's record this year and adds on a couple more but it was time to move on.

Peace :dabears

We got rid of him for $3mil in cap space, at least that is what I think he signed for and IIRC his deal with us would have cost $2mil. That can translate into whoever you deem it to be among our signees this offseason. Since it seems clear Willie Young and Houston we're our early targets I'd say overall it translated into keeping enough room available that we were able to get Jared Allen. That space along with what Cutler's contract conversion freed up. If you prefer a straight up comparison I'll take the combination of WR Marquess Wilson and KR/PR Williams and the extra cap space.

Wilson and Williams were on the team already....but i can go with you on Young,Allen and Houston. But look at this for a moment. You let Hester go...so now you have questions at PR/KR so you bring in Hixson(cut) Weems (on the team= cut) Ford (cut) Spurlock, Edwards,Reynaud, Williams(on the team) and even Holmes(caught a few at practice)....so you don't know who its going to be. At least with Hester you knew what he can do....and you had the advantage that other teams knew also ...to kick away from him... which allows us to win in the field position battle. IMHO we should have kept him. Just hope he doesn't light us up when we play them.

Agreed. We simply couldn't afford the luxery given all other needs.

They were using the right way - as a returner only - and his skills had diminished to where he wasn't worth $2 million a year for the team. Again, I wish him luck. I hope he breaks Deon's record this year and adds on a couple more but it was time to move on.

Peace :dabears

Wilson and Williams were on the team already....but i can go with you on Young,Allen and Houston. But look at this for a moment. You let Hester go...so now you have questions at PR/KR so you bring in Hixson(cut) Weems (on the team= cut) Ford (cut) Spurlock, Edwards,Reynaud, Williams(on the team) and even Holmes(caught a few at practice)....so you don't know who its going to be. At least with Hester you knew what he can do....and you had the advantage that other teams knew also ...to kick away from him... which allows us to win in the field position battle. IMHO we should have kept him. Just hope he doesn't light us up when we play them.

Yes but for one most KR are touchbacks these days. Half the PRs are fair caught or just hit the ground. I want to have that weapon for the returns as it can impact a game tremendously but the way the rules are today it's not as big of an impact. We know Chris Williams has done PR/KR before so he's capable just need to see it at the NFL level.

I loved having Hester on the roster over the years but what he did for us was not worth $2-3mil. I wish him well in Atlanta but the fact they used him for a simple WR screen doesn't make me think he's suddenly figured out how to play WR.

By the way, in a highlight of a Julio Jones play I noticed a guy named Weems on the sideline.

Yes but for one most KR are touchbacks these days. Half the PRs are fair caught or just hit the ground. I want to have that weapon for the returns as it can impact a game tremendously but the way the rules are today it's not as big of an impact. We know Chris Williams has done PR/KR before so he's capable just need to see it at the NFL level.

I loved having Hester on the roster over the years but what he did for us was not worth $2-3mil. I wish him well in Atlanta but the fact they used him for a simple WR screen doesn't make me think he's suddenly figured out how to play WR.

By the way, in a highlight of a Julio Jones play I noticed a guy named Weems on the sideline.

Ture to your point...but Hester didn't need to learn how to play WR..The Falcons are using him as a WR slot/screen guy and he has scored twice...we could use him and his speed in the same role we just didn't do it. Hell was he not faster than Weems Bennett and who else we had on the roster last year at WR other than Marshall/Jeffery