More cuts

Wesson44

Cutler seems concerned:

“It’s not exactly what you want,” Cutler said. “He can give them things I’m sure. He knows snap counts, some of the stuff we do with our checks, what plays we like. But they still have to defend it. So we won’t change much if anything, maybe a few tweaks here and there. But we’ll just have to go play football and see how it goes.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...bills-not-ideal

Meh. Much ado about nothing. Like Cutler said they "still have to defend it". Trestmans not an idiot and will adjust accordingly. I've never bought into the idea of signing a player in the hopes of getting trade secrets. If that were true every team that signs a NE castoff would be in the playoffs.

Alshon is such the stud, that he makes up for the others...

However, the SMC one is the real weak area if he ends up a bust. I'm not holding out much hope...but there is a chance he could at least be a solid contributing player.

...and yeah, overall, 2012 could be a fairly weak draft. But, Alshon makes all the difference!

Bears cut Isaiah Frey, James Brown. SMC and Alshon the only 2 players left from the Class of 2012. Emery's first draft ends up pretty weak.

Alshon is such the stud, that he makes up for the others...

However, the SMC one is the real weak area if he ends up a bust. I'm not holding out much hope...but there is a chance he could at least be a solid contributing player.

...and yeah, overall, 2012 could be a fairly weak draft. But, Alshon makes all the difference!

To it is crazy to see who was drafted immediately following SMC:

Kendall Wright

Chandler Jones

Brandon Weeden

Riley Reiff

David DeCastro

Dont'a Hightower

Whitney Mercilus

Kevin Zeitler

Nick Perry

Harrison Smith

A.J. Jenkins

Doug Martin

David Wilson

That was the rest of the 1st Round. We essentially could've had any of those guys, Coby Fleener or Janoris Jenkins.

Yup.

SMC is the fail. Granted, there have been worse, but that one hurts. I still contend that SMith had his hands in it...but it's Emery's watch, so he's responsible. But, let's judge things in 2 more draft. Then, we'll truly have the goods. So far, he's been hit & miss. The misses hurt, but the hits seem quite lovely...

To it is crazy to see who was drafted immediately following SMC:

Kendall Wright

Chandler Jones

Brandon Weeden

Riley Reiff

David DeCastro

Dont'a Hightower

Whitney Mercilus

Kevin Zeitler

Nick Perry

Harrison Smith

A.J. Jenkins

Doug Martin

David Wilson

That was the rest of the 1st Round. We essentially could've had any of those guys, Coby Fleener or Janoris Jenkins.

Yup.

SMC is the fail. Granted, there have been worse, but that one hurts. I still contend that SMith had his hands in it...but it's Emery's watch, so he's responsible. But, let's judge things in 2 more draft. Then, we'll truly have the goods. So far, he's been hit & miss. The misses hurt, but the hits seem quite lovely...

MadLith, you can't just get one starter from a draft. Regardless of how good Alshon is/will be, that draft is pointing downward fast.

Agreed.

But if that starter is a potential pro bowler...it's a little easier bitter pill to swallow.

And yes, it would have been a bad draft for Emery. The good thing, is he appears willing to move on from mistakes. SMC is the one they are giving one last shot to. If he can't contribute strongly, I'll bet he's gone. Time to continue to draft for D. We need a S and LB. Another OL and DL couldn't hurt. Also, a TE. Keep on trying to go young.

MadLith, you can't just get one starter from a draft. Regardless of how good Alshon is/will be, that draft is pointing downward fast.

Agreed.

But if that starter is a potential pro bowler...it's a little easier bitter pill to swallow.

And yes, it would have been a bad draft for Emery. The good thing, is he appears willing to move on from mistakes. SMC is the one they are giving one last shot to. If he can't contribute strongly, I'll bet he's gone. Time to continue to draft for D. We need a S and LB. Another OL and DL couldn't hurt. Also, a TE. Keep on trying to go young.

Exactly - Emery does't hold onto mistakes. If SMC does not show serious improvement by the end of the year he will be gone.

Peace :dabears

Yup.

Emery was hired so late that offseason he was forced to use the existing scouting department and their existing grading system. Of course he had his notes from his work at KC but that was offset by the need to keep Lovie (not saying he'd have done otherwise anyway that late in the game). Emery owns it all but his scouting organization and system was fully in place for the 2013 and 2014 drafts.

Right now 2013 looks pretty good…Long Pro Bowl, Bostic still in that upside phase, Greene looking to be a good 4th Rd pick, Mills, Washington (might get cut), and our likely 3rd WR Wilson.

So far 2014 has yielded effectively one starter in Fuller and punter who is faster than Earl Thomas.

Good points.

However, I don't want to give him that much slack. He drafted, so the buck stops at him. I think as long as 2013 and on look really good, I won't have issue with just calling 2012 the Alshon draft!

Emery was hired so late that offseason he was forced to use the existing scouting department and their existing grading system. Of course he had his notes from his work at KC but that was offset by the need to keep Lovie (not saying he'd have done otherwise anyway that late in the game). Emery owns it all but his scouting organization and system was fully in place for the 2013 and 2014 drafts.

Right now 2013 looks pretty good…Long Pro Bowl, Bostic still in that upside phase, Greene looking to be a good 4th Rd pick, Mills, Washington (might get cut), and our likely 3rd WR Wilson.

So far 2014 has yielded effectively one starter in Fuller and punter who is faster than Earl Thomas.