wouldn't say it's news to me. .. But

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

Is Ryan Mundy even worse than the "Safeties" that were already on the roster. He looks about as lost as McClellin, believe it or not.

I don't wanna compare apples and oranges... but look at the way Earl Thomas commands the field. runs down every play hits like a brick, and directs the show. ..

Is Ryan Mundy even worse than the "Safeties" that were already on the roster. He looks about as lost as McClellin, believe it or not.

I don't wanna compare apples and oranges... but look at the way Earl Thomas commands the field. runs down every play hits like a brick, and directs the show. ..

No. I think he's actually played OK this preseason.

Peace :dabears

I get the impression that DBs (especially safety play) is your forte. You comment on it quite frequently. The type of player you describe in Thomas sounds like Adrian Wilson. Unfortunately Wilson appears to be past his prime as much as I wished he could have done better. Anyone currently on the team capable of being a worthy safety? Obviously Conte is out but what about a few of the remaining members of the team? How about potential FAs that might be worth their weight? You think Peanut would make a good safety? I think FS would be more to his style but I know he has no interest. What about Fuller?

I'm with Connor in that I think Mundy hasn't been horrible. Not that it's a rousing endorsement. But maybe he'd be better with a competent counterpart?

I thought Mundy played well against Seattle and I think he'll get the job done for us this year. Comparing him to Earl Thomas is not realistic and he's certainly not going to cover pass routes for 4 seconds. We need serviceable play from our safeties this year and that I believe Mundy can provide it at SS. Just avoid diving into a play and completely missing the tackle like Major Wright often did and I'll be happy. He might give up a few more yards than someone like an Earl Thomas would but avoid the big gains and make their offense have longer drives.

We have a new scheme with a ton of new and young players at all levels on defense. It seems clear to me this preseason that players across the board often aren't sure where they should be. We saw that on offense last season and it started to smooth out around the 4th game and was definitely better in the second half of the season. Nobody ever wants to hear it but it's a reality that players need experience against different offenses to get better. You just can't do that day after day going against the same Bears offense.

FS remains the biggest question mark, right now it appears that it'll end up in Conte's hands with Vereen behind him…which means it'll remain our biggest question mark on D. I'm a big fan of Fuller and I think having him on the field is going to make a noticeable difference in our nickel package this year. He can cover the "move" TEs we'll be seeing keeping our safeties less exposed to the better athletes.

Our defense is in the midst of an overhaul that is going to require another offseason to complete, at least to get quality players at all 3 levels. In year 1 the bulk of the money and the early draft picks went to the Dline. I think that was the right approach but it also means we're relying on them to get the job done on both run D and pass D via effective pass rush limiting the coverage time our safeties have to do.

If we are to compare to Seattle's defensive overhaul it should be in the 2nd year of Carroll's tenure (2010) where they ranked 25th in defense pts/game. The following year they rose to 7th. 2010 was a young Earl Thomas' first NFL season along with Kam Chancellor. If our young LBs improve this season it will allow us to focus on the backend of the defense next year.

I thought Mundy played well against Seattle and I think he'll get the job done for us this year. Comparing him to Earl Thomas is not realistic and he's certainly not going to cover pass routes for 4 seconds. We need serviceable play from our safeties this year and that I believe Mundy can provide it at SS. Just avoid diving into a play and completely missing the tackle like Major Wright often did and I'll be happy. He might give up a few more yards than someone like an Earl Thomas would but avoid the big gains and make their offense have longer drives.

We have a new scheme with a ton of new and young players at all levels on defense. It seems clear to me this preseason that players across the board often aren't sure where they should be. We saw that on offense last season and it started to smooth out around the 4th game and was definitely better in the second half of the season. Nobody ever wants to hear it but it's a reality that players need experience against different offenses to get better. You just can't do that day after day going against the same Bears offense.

FS remains the biggest question mark, right now it appears that it'll end up in Conte's hands with Vereen behind him…which means it'll remain our biggest question mark on D. I'm a big fan of Fuller and I think having him on the field is going to make a noticeable difference in our nickel package this year. He can cover the "move" TEs we'll be seeing keeping our safeties less exposed to the better athletes.

Our defense is in the midst of an overhaul that is going to require another offseason to complete, at least to get quality players at all 3 levels. In year 1 the bulk of the money and the early draft picks went to the Dline. I think that was the right approach but it also means we're relying on them to get the job done on both run D and pass D via effective pass rush limiting the coverage time our safeties have to do.

If we are to compare to Seattle's defensive overhaul it should be in the 2nd year of Carroll's tenure (2010) where they ranked 25th in defense pts/game. The following year they rose to 7th. 2010 was a young Earl Thomas' first NFL season along with Kam Chancellor. If our young LBs improve this season it will allow us to focus on the backend of the defense next year.

Good work!

Nice work!

Guest TerraTor

Shae McClellin will be benched by Week 5. Mark my words. I'd personally get Christian Jones on the field asap. I watched the guy play against real competition in college and lead the team. If he sucks he sucks. ..

But as for the secondary, Mundy just looks he wants no part of the action. FS I don't even know where to start. I swear if #29 is the opening day starter I will vomit.

How is it possible to go what. .6 years w/o a viable S on your team? I mean that's just plain awful

No arguement there.

Hell, can we also include Fuller as you infer?

3 of 7 ain't horrific. And if you tack in the best of Briggs and Bostic...maybe that's worth one warm body? 4 of 7?

I'd add Jennings. He's been to a pro bowl each of the last two years. Two years ago he led the league in INTs. And despite all this agreed to play nickel back if Fuller was the opposite corner to Peanut. Seems to be a good player and character.

But yeah, Peanut is no doubt "the man".

D-Line should be much improved with a very solid rotation (which will be a strength late in games). Corners and Briggs are good, so everyone else just needs to play average and not be a liability. The soft zone also needs to hit the road.