Play Review #1

adam

I took a look as some important plays, went back and took screenshots to dissect and discuss the plays. This first one is easy, almost entirely on Briggs. Hard to fault and player, even Conte when a RB has 20 yards head start to run straight at you.

Here are some pics showing the play:

run1.png

On #1 you can see the LBs in their correct gaps, and what looks like Briggs watching the handoff. However, on #2 he moves with Manuel leaving his gap wide open and there is Safety help creeping in for the contain on Manuel.

As I was watching that play live, I knew right away Briggs ran the wrong way. The Bears eye discipline has been horrible defending against the read option dating back to when they played Russell Wilson and Kaepernick under Lovie Smith. If Briggs stays in his gap, that's a 5 yard gain instead of a 47 yard gain, or whatever it was.

run4.png

The pursuit. In #7 Fuller and Bostic both seem hesitant to tackle Dixon and run along side him for 15 yards and out of the blue from the other side of the field comes Peanut. Mundy and Houston still running to the ball. Peanut actually initiates contact and takes Dixon down. Who is not in frame? Briggs, who blew his assignment and didn't care to run down the field.

Briggs is not the leader of this defense and that was clear when he decided to spend his practice day opening a restaurant. None of that impacted his play. He was always a gambler but in the past he had a guy named Urlacher who could clean up and coverup a lot of his mistakes.