Play Review #2

adam

This is the run that seals the game. Again, Conte is posterized but even if he tackles Jackson at first contact it is still a 30 yarder to win. In this one, we are in the Nickel with only Briggs and Bostic at LB. Mundy is on the TE and shadowing him in motion. Bostic has the QB and contain on the left. Briggs has the other gap. As Allen rushes and seals the right edge, Briggs shoots the gap on the other side of the Center leaving a massive hole for Jackson to run through. Briggs flops in the backfield unblocked (#2).

otrun1.png

otrun2.png

Two things to note on these pics. First Briggs looks like a dead cock roach and was just as effective as one lying on his back in the fetal. He shot the wrong gap and there was no one at the 2nd level until Conte who was playing 20 yards deep.

The 2nd part in the box is how bad Allen was held a the point of attack with no call. He attempted to get back into the hole and had no shot as he was mugged by the LT. Both of these big runs had some pretty blatant holds (around shoulders) and huge Briggs mistakes.

Briggs was awful on these big plays and the world keeps going back to Conte as the guy to blame. Thank you for calling it correctly. I suppose if we had a $5mil safety he would keep this to a 15-20 yd play but I really expect the $6.5mil LB to do his job right and make these plays. Briggs issues were apparent even to those who visited training camp and I asked weeks ago what it would take for the coaches to bench him. If we're going to live with mistakes like this early in the season I'd rather it be with one of the younger guys who a) wants to learn B) is more likely to listen to his coaches and c) is likely to be on the team next year.

Briggs was awful on these big plays and the world keeps going back to Conte as the guy to blame. Thank you for calling it correctly. I suppose if we had a $5mil safety he would keep this to a 15-20 yd play but I really expect the $6.5mil LB to do his job right and make these plays. Briggs issues were apparent even to those who visited training camp and I asked weeks ago what it would take for the coaches to bench him. If we're going to live with mistakes like this early in the season I'd rather it be with one of the younger guys who a) wants to learn B) is more likely to listen to his coaches and c) is likely to be on the team next year.

Effective as lying on his back in the fetal....classic! I had a good chuckle over that one, nice one Adam!

Bench Briggs or trade him to SF, not that they are stupid enough to want him any more......

I still like Conte.

I think Cutler is getting a lot of blame when he actually played pretty well. I counted 1 real bad throw out of him and a lot of good throws and great command against a good defense. The pick to Bennett was pretty clear to me a situation where Bennett didn't settle where Cutler expected him to. You could see it instantly in the way Bennett reacted. He knew he was in the wrong. Jay kept his composure and everything like that was nice. Play calling needs to be better and execution has to be improve but its week one, you don't expect to fire on all cylinders. Things can be cleaned up but with our receivers on the field, we win that game, imo.

That said, no excuse to lose at home to a team like the Bills. We got destroyed in the field position battle and our turnovers put us in a real tough spot. I couldn't get enough of a gauge against that defense and really that offense was an awful match-up for us, given they were #2 in the league in rushing a year ago. Put them in a situation where they have the lead and good field position and we really got put in a tough spot.

Our punting unit was utterly disgusting. Compare our special teams with the Bills...wow, what a difference.

I think Cutler is getting a lot of blame when he actually played pretty well. I counted 1 real bad throw out of him and a lot of good throws and great command against a good defense. The pick to Bennett was pretty clear to me a situation where Bennett didn't settle where Cutler expected him to. You could see it instantly in the way Bennett reacted. He knew he was in the wrong. Jay kept his composure and everything like that was nice. Play calling needs to be better and execution has to be improve but its week one, you don't expect to fire on all cylinders. Things can be cleaned up but with our receivers on the field, we win that game, imo.

That said, no excuse to lose at home to a team like the Bills. We got destroyed in the field position battle and our turnovers put us in a real tough spot. I couldn't get enough of a gauge against that defense and really that offense was an awful match-up for us, given they were #2 in the league in rushing a year ago. Put them in a situation where they have the lead and good field position and we really got put in a tough spot.

Our punting unit was utterly disgusting. Compare our special teams with the Bills...wow, what a difference.

For Cutler, he did play decent for the most part. Buffalo has a pretty good front 4. However, just like Stafford, Romo, Rivers, Eli, Flacco, etc. All these QB's can put up big numbers like Cutler, but they make 1-2 boneheaded plays that the elite QBs rarely do. We just have to understand that is who we have. A top 15 QB, who is arguably the best QB this franchise has ever had (physically gifted). At least he took the blame for the INT and said he should've thrown it away or ran with it.

For Cutler, he did play decent for the most part. Buffalo has a pretty good front 4. However, just like Stafford, Romo, Rivers, Eli, Flacco, etc. All these QB's can put up big numbers like Cutler, but they make 1-2 boneheaded plays that the elite QBs rarely do. We just have to understand that is who we have. A top 15 QB, who is arguably the best QB this franchise has ever had (physically gifted). At least he took the blame for the INT and said he should've thrown it away or ran with it.

I think the fact that elite QB's don't make mistakes is a bit overblown too. However, I do agree as a whole the top QB's throw fewer picks. That said, Brady made plenty of mistakes this past week as did Rodgers. Bottom line, it is a team game and we had an uphill battle given both the turnovers and overall field position battle. It was week 1 though and I expect our unit will get better and to be frank we have to. Defense better find ways to generate turnovers or a pass rush, otherwise we will be in trouble. At least some of the time we were able to stop them on 3rd down, something we couldn't do at all in the preseason.

I think the fact that elite QB's don't make mistakes is a bit overblown too. However, I do agree as a whole the top QB's throw fewer picks. That said, Brady made plenty of mistakes this past week as did Rodgers. Bottom line, it is a team game and we had an uphill battle given both the turnovers and overall field position battle. It was week 1 though and I expect our unit will get better and to be frank we have to. Defense better find ways to generate turnovers or a pass rush, otherwise we will be in trouble. At least some of the time we were able to stop them on 3rd down, something we couldn't do at all in the preseason.

You are correct, and Cutler did have a better QBR than either of them. However, Cutler's mistakes seem to be at the most critical juncture of the game: http://regressing.deadspin.com/jay-cutler-...-wee-1632009572