Hester's still got it

CrackerDog

It's the turf and playing inside. I'm happy for him. Would love to see him break the record tonight.

Also, loving see Tampa get hammered.

Peace :dabears

He's fast anywhere. It was 14 degrees last year vs free Packers and he was clearly the fastest player on the field. I get that outdoor are faster on turf, but he's far on both. Never have seen him get caught from behind on either.

Hester basically took a direct shot at Cutler after the game. Said he wasn't happy the last 3-4 years in Chicago. Said he has a quarterback now that likes even the walk-ons, and has coaches that know how to get him the ball.

It was obvious that Cutler and Hester never connected as a QB/WR duo, but he was also the #1 or #2 receiver for all of those years! In Atlanta, he's the #4. I agree with him that he was under utilized here because dip shit #1 (Martz) and dip shit #2 (Tice) were morons. Wonder how he would have played last year had he agreed to play a role on offense. Got to imagine those end arounds to Alshon would have been Devin Hester's plays instead.

Hester basically took a direct shot at Cutler after the game. Said he wasn't happy the last 3-4 years in Chicago. Said he has a quarterback now that likes even the walk-ons, and has coaches that know how to get him the ball.

It was obvious that Cutler and Hester never connected as a QB/WR duo, but he was also the #1 or #2 receiver for all of those years! In Atlanta, he's the #4. I agree with him that he was under utilized here because dip shit #1 (Martz) and dip shit #2 (Tice) were morons. Wonder how he would have played last year had he agreed to play a role on offense. Got to imagine those end arounds to Alshon would have been Devin Hester's plays instead.

I can see that. Hester and Cutler never meshed for one reason or another. Definately not one person's fault as to why they never did. I'd definately start with coaching.

Jason got one right. :)

He was rejuvenated leaving Chicago. He wouldn't have done that with us. He looked faster and more explosive then he has in years. Clearly him and Cutler didn't click and the fresh start gave him some more motivation. Also, its hard for a QB to like you when you consistently line up in the wrong spot and drop balls. It is unfortunate because at times, Hester looked like he could have been a pretty good wideout. Too bad that when Trestman asked him to play wideout a year ago he said no.

Agreed 100%

I'm not sure one way or the other but we always heard that Hester didn't have the brains to understand where to be when playing WR for us. Both with Trestman here and otherwise. We tried to use him in packages that should've suited his talents but even those plays never seemed to work very well.

I think the combination of turf vs. grass and the limited time he's been in the Atlanta offense accounts for the difference. He was targeted 6 times in Week 1 and has had 1 target in each of week 2 and 3. That's hardly anything to write home about as a WR. He had one end around run where he looked fantastic, speedy as ever. But that's one play they could've had him practice dozens of times the week ahead.

My kudos to him are on the return game. He makes all of the guys we have look like they're running in mud. He still has it there in a huge way. But you'd have to be a moron to kick to him. Like Lovie. On kickoffs if you don't have a kicker capable of putting it through the end zone now, you've kept the wrong kicker. 90% of kickoff are ending up in touchbacks. And punters have had the idea of kicking it out of bounds for years with Hester back there. So... the value in keeping a guy at the price he was going to cost us is difficult to justify. When he signed with Atlanta they could treat him like any player off the street and pay him what he was worth to the market. We'd have had to pay him, I believe, that plus the cost of his history with the team.

Would I have loved to see him break the record as a Bear? Ab-so-lutely. Was it worth it to keep him as a WR at the cost of having a guy on the team who might actually contribute there? Not so sure.