Champ Bailey Willing to play Safety.

scs787

I'd go for it as long as we have the room to make the move.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 40m Free agent CB Champ Bailey, who feels healthy, said he is willing to play nickel or safety if that's what it takes to land a job somewhere.

I think Conte has played well when he's out there, but this is intriguing to me. Would be nice to have a veteran voice back there.

This is true but the transition shouldn't be THAT hard. He's obviously open to learning. Give em a few weeks to make the transition and get em ready for the 2nd half.

I think he'd make the transition fine. One concern is whether he's lost speed in open field coverage. Being a CB you mostly have to be able to run step for step to the coverage. With a FS he'd be allowed to roam more and close on whatever protection he'd need to be providing. If it were SS then obviously he'd be more expected to support the run and intermediate coverage. I think mentally he'd be able to do what is needed (reading WR sets and backfield positions etc) it would just be the open field range that might come into question.

Personally I'd like to see Adrian Wilson back on the roster but he probably doesn't have it either or he'd still be on the team.

To keep this in perspective Champ Bailey was the pick the Redskins made win they traded up with the Bears when they drafted Cade McNown. No thank you. We already have veteran leadership with Peanut assuming a coach's role now that he is on IR. I have enjoyed the young defenders getting a chance to get on the field and the results have been promising.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 40m Free agent CB Champ Bailey, who feels healthy, said he is willing to play nickel or safety if that's what it takes to land a job somewhere.

I think Conte has played well when he's out there, but this is intriguing to me. Would be nice to have a veteran voice back there.

i have no problem bringing him in for a workout. if he is healthy enough to play sign him as a stop gap player through the rest of the season and see how he plays. IF he can't adjust to free safety then cut him. simple as that. we could shore up the weakest position on our defense. how could we lose?

i have no problem bringing him in for a workout. if he is healthy enough to play sign him as a stop gap player through the rest of the season and see how he plays. IF he can't adjust to free safety then cut him. simple as that. we could shore up the weakest position on our defense. how could we lose?

We could lose because we'd cut one of these young guys that we recently signed to our DB ranks and who have solidified our kick coverage. Somebody has to go if we bring in Champ. Now if we end up with someone on IR among our safeties that's a different story.

We could lose because we'd cut one of these young guys that we recently signed to our DB ranks and who have solidified our kick coverage. Somebody has to go if we bring in Champ. Now if we end up with someone on IR among our safeties that's a different story.

i seriously can't imagine that that a special teams guy who is one step away from the practice squad or being cut could be more needed or more VALUABLE than play we can possibly get out of a potential HOF bailey.

if bailey is healthy enough to play he can start at safety and SUB at corner if needed. he brings smarts with him to compensate for any loss of speed and safety should be a much better fit. he is a stop gap signing that could bring huge dividends to our team if we really are trying to win a super bowl this season.

can ANYONE say they would rather have DIXON at safety than bailey if he can remotely adjust and is healthy? how often on this board, with me leading the charge, were we touting the best position for peanut would be SAFETY? it's no different for bailey.

we have canon fodder playing our safety and corner positions at this time with the exception of fuller and 'possibly' jennings who has played poorly. we have frey for depth at corner and he is barely adequate so there is no depth there either. with bailey we would have a decent #2 CB in bailey if we sustain another injury during the season or a starting FS.

finally... special teams does NOT trump a starting every down player in a critical position where we have great need.

You've been surprised a lot recently. All the guys you liked, suck. All the players you ripped are doing well. Congrats. You're the kiss of death.

You've figured it out! Now, if we if we can get him to hate every pick and free agent signing, we are golden. Wait, that already happened. No wonder our rookies are playing so well...