Defensive identity

ASHKUM BEAR

When will we find an identity? Maybe it is what the media gives us, but it seems we don't have a leader on that side that rallys the troops. When the defense takes the field, we should be on the edge of our seats. We should see LBs mug the line, question the O with alignment movement, and consistant attacks from different personnel. Besides Fuller and Young, who else has shined? Maybe Kyle Fuller develops into that leader vocally and performance, but I would like to see a MLB or S since they are usually calling the alignments and blitzes. The way our roster is composed contract wise, the Bears really shouldn't draft a high LB unless one can be all that. Four guys to keep an eye on are Perryman from Miami, Kendricks UCLA, McKinney Miss St. , and AJ Johnson Tenn. Perryman and Kendricks stand 6 foot with 4.7 speed and Johnson 6-2 McKinney 6-5 are a little quicker. Measurables are a plus, but I want a type A leadership like Ray Lewis provided in Baltimore. Same thing from the S position, draft a leader that can keep the DBs in line and hold accountability. Prewitt Ole Miss, Drummon Mich St, or Smith Fresno St. are on my early list. For the time being, here's to hoping Briggs and Allen find it in themselves to be mad they are below mediocre.

What is crazy is that we really are about 2 defensive players from being really good again (a Safety and LB). We probably waited one year too long on Briggs. He looks old, slow, and fat.

If we can get even one via Free Agency and then draft high again on Defense, we should be able to see a big jump on that side of the ball (which is sorely needed).

What is crazy is that we really are about 2 defensive players from being really good again (a Safety and LB). We waited one year too long on Briggs. He looks old, slow, and fat.

If we can get even one via Free Agency and then draft high again on Defense, we should be able tosee a big jump on that side of the ball (which is sorely needed).

Free agency is always an option. I would prefer to avoid that route, but take it if it gets us over that hump then have at it. In time if Emery does his job right, we should start earning compensatory picks. That is a true sign of a team that gets it from ownership down to waterboys. Its too bad Jerry Angelo left this team bankrupt. We have lots of promise, but not enough to reckon with yet. A homerun next draft at one of those key posistions could be it and more creativity from a DC that has been up and down year two.

What is crazy is that we really are about 2 defensive players from being really good again (a Safety and LB). We probably waited one year too long on Briggs. He looks old, slow, and fat.

If we can get even one via Free Agency and then draft high again on Defense, we should be able to see a big jump on that side of the ball (which is sorely needed).

I think the two key players needed are a true fast pass rush DE and a Safety. Bostic improves each week, still some ups and downs, and I see no reason that won't continue. SMC was doing alright before the injury and he'll be back and should continue to improve as well. I like Christian Jones in there with them for the future and Greene has done some good things as well. For now I think we need to be patient and allow the young players to learn and evaluate where we are at the end of the season.

At DE Allen is clearly slowing down but will be effective for us this year and next but we need someone to groom into that role.

I think the two key players needed are a true fast pass rush DE and a Safety. Bostic improves each week, still some ups and downs, and I see no reason that won't continue. SMC was doing alright before the injury and he'll be back and should continue to improve as well. I like Christian Jones in there with them for the future and Greene has done some good things as well. For now I think we need to be patient and allow the young players to learn and evaluate where we are at the end of the season.

At DE Allen is clearly slowing down but will be effective for us this year and next but we need someone to groom into that role.

I like our youth in McClellin, Bostic, Greene, and Jones. They are growing, but if a clear cut blue chip falls, I am ok with an upgrade. Our roster really don't have room for another, but if we can draft a probowl prospect at the mike you do it imo.

Looking at our roster depth, I see additions at S, DT, and CB. Those three are thin with long term depth.