Cutler Doesn't Suck

CrackerDog

First off, let me just say this... I was pissed with Cutler's play this weekend too. And he has to get goddamn better or we're not going anywhere this season. With that said...

Statistically Cutler is still a top QB in this league. Question what you want about how he handles himself during interviews or when you see him on the sidelines in the few shots of him we're shown, whatever. Facts are borne out by numbers. There's certainly room for improvement and he's got to get his head outta his ass on various picks but they weren't all his errors either. Marshall hasn't been 100% and he quit on one last week. This week on another of Jay's picks the Bears sideline was up in arms about interference or holding on the D that wasn't called that held up the receiver. So Jay only has 6 picks on the year and I've already talked about 2 of them. I'm sure more research would address a few others. Meanwhile Luck, Ryan and Brees all also have 6 picks and they most certainly don't SUCK.

For me, I'm very disappointed in Trestman. His play calling seems stagnant. There is no way this team should be without a RB rushing TD this far into the season. And let's be honest, Forte didn't help with his fumble late this week either. With better play from ALL players, better play calling, better health from our WR group, this team could be 4-1 right now. They've got flaws but they aren't unfixable.

The D has been OK. I'd give them a C grade. And according to all the minds here before the season started, that was supposed to be good enough. Special teams still blows but at least we're now smart enough, most of the time, to take a knee and start at the 20. Earlier this season we were bringing it out, getting to the 10, getting penalties or fumbling. It was brutal, now it just sucks.

The sky isn't falling. We should've expected some of this with many of our games being road games or against Green Bay at home. We've played very well at times and then horribly at others. Some of that is leadership, losing poise, and some of it is just bad luck. We need the key players on this team to step it up, Jay to spread the ball around better downfield than he has (generally) and the D to continue to improve. I'm still all for firing Tucker right now but he's likely our DC for the season so we'll just have to deal with it. Obviously the same goes for Jay being our QB and that's for longer than just this season. Blaming him for everything that's gone wrong these last two weeks is just foolish.

We're at a turning point for the season over the next three weeks. Things have to improve but I've seen enough to know that it isn't all doom and gloom.

Good musing C-Dog...

There's really nothing I can argue with other than the D. I give them a D. I do not see them as average, I see them as below average. We know some of the scores aren't quite on them, but the reality is we've given up 23,20,19,38,31. We started off well enough (basically holding anyone 20 and under is just fine), but the past 2 games have been atrocious. I think I could change my grade maybe to a C- since 3 of the 5 games were OK, but 2 were atrocious.

First off, let me just say this... I was pissed with Cutler's play this weekend too. And he has to get goddamn better or we're not going anywhere this season. With that said...

Statistically Cutler is still a top QB in this league. Question what you want about how he handles himself during interviews or when you see him on the sidelines in the few shots of him we're shown, whatever. Facts are borne out by numbers. There's certainly room for improvement and he's got to get his head outta his ass on various picks but they weren't all his errors either. Marshall hasn't been 100% and he quit on one last week. This week on another of Jay's picks the Bears sideline was up in arms about interference or holding on the D that wasn't called that held up the receiver. So Jay only has 6 picks on the year and I've already talked about 2 of them. I'm sure more research would address a few others. Meanwhile Luck, Ryan and Brees all also have 6 picks and they most certainly don't SUCK.

For me, I'm very disappointed in Trestman. His play calling seems stagnant. There is no way this team should be without a RB rushing TD this far into the season. And let's be honest, Forte didn't help with his fumble late this week either. With better play from ALL players, better play calling, better health from our WR group, this team could be 4-1 right now. They've got flaws but they aren't unfixable.

The D has been OK. I'd give them a C grade. And according to all the minds here before the season started, that was supposed to be good enough. Special teams still blows but at least we're now smart enough, most of the time, to take a knee and start at the 20. Earlier this season we were bringing it out, getting to the 10, getting penalties or fumbling. It was brutal, now it just sucks.

The sky isn't falling. We should've expected some of this with many of our games being road games or against Green Bay at home. We've played very well at times and then horribly at others. Some of that is leadership, losing poise, and some of it is just bad luck. We need the key players on this team to step it up, Jay to spread the ball around better downfield than he has (generally) and the D to continue to improve. I'm still all for firing Tucker right now but he's likely our DC for the season so we'll just have to deal with it. Obviously the same goes for Jay being our QB and that's for longer than just this season. Blaming him for everything that's gone wrong these last two weeks is just foolish.

We're at a turning point for the season over the next three weeks. Things have to improve but I've seen enough to know that it isn't all doom and gloom.

Cutler is part of the problem, but literally only to blame for 1-2 bad plays a game. The Special Teams as a whole, coaching, and the defense are also to blame for the losses.

Our Special Teams have been brutal this year, we are 26th in average starting position, and 32nd for our opponent's starting position. Opponents average start is the 35, wow. The next best teams are JAX and OAK, that should tell you how bad they are. In a way, the Special Teams set the tone for the entire team. We are often times backed up inside our own 20 when starting a drive and our opponents have a bunch of drives near the 50. That immediately neuters the playbook and we become predictable.

An odd note to this season is the number of mobile or running QBs we faced so far. Manuel, Kaepernick, Smith, Rodgers, and Newton all are risks to leave the pocket. The next 3 weeks we face more traditional pocket passers in Ryan, Tannehill, and Brady. Hopefully this allows our defense to get more pressure.

Has Houston been the most disappointing player thus far? 3 tackles, 0 sacks in 5 games? On the flip side, Young has been a beast with 5 sacks and 13 tackles. We really need Houston and Allen to step up.

Marshall's injuries are clearly hindering the entire offense.

In the end, it all comes down to turnovers for this team. We are 2-0 when we win the turnover battle, and 0-3 when we lose it.

Cutler is soooo close its not even funny. If he could eliminate just one INT per game it would make a world of difference.

Here is two stats I think tell where he is headed.

Year Completion % and QB Rating

2009 60 and 76.8

2010 60 and 86.3

2011 58 and 85

2012 58 and 81

2013 63 and 89

2014 68 and 94.9

So far after 5 games Cutler is at a 95 QB rating, the highest he has ever had. Before Trestman I remember many games he would put up a 50 QB rating. His low is not any where near the low he had in years past.

If he can just cut down on 1 or 2 plays a game everything will be great.

This last game

78% completion rate almost 300 yards with 2 TD's and 1 rushing....The two INT makes this game look like it was horrible but it really wasn't a horrible performance.

Cutler just needs to eliminate 1 to 2 WTF plays a game and he will be golden.

Cutler is soooo close its not even funny. If he could eliminate just one INT per game it would make a world of difference.

2009 60 and 76.8

2010 60 and 86.3

2011 58 and 85

2012 58 and 81

2013 63 and 89

2014 68 and 94.9

So far after 5 games Cutler is at a 95 QB rating, the highest he has ever had. Before Trestman I remember many games he would put up a 50 QB rating. His low is not any where near the low he had in years past.

This last game

78% completion rate almost 300 yards with 2 TD's and 1 rushing....The two INT makes this game look like it was horrible but it really wasn't a horrible performance.

The Bears have scored 3 points in the second half of the last 2 games combined!!! That is a bad game, the numbers are lying, not the INT's.

Cutler is part of the problem, but literally only to blame for 1-2 bad plays a game.

Issue is, when two of those "bad plays" become turnovers which translate almost directly to points (as they did in Green Bay) then yes he is more than just "part" of the problem.

We all agree that the D is a weakness too. Probably expected it. Tucker is running it. Allen is not the same as he once was, nor is Briggs. Houston...was he still on the team? Conte comes and goes each game. And the rest comprise mainly of first year players. Even if this D was performing at 'average level' (say ranked 16th or so) you can't expect them to stop every extra scoring opportunity the opponent gets. Especially if it's extra opportunities they wouldn't have had to begin with.

To your point...those 1-2 error seem to come at the only time in a game where the errors matter. If he'd do stupid thing in the 1st qtr, they are somewhat forgiveable and at least he's able to make up for it.

Issue is, when two of those turnovers translate almost directly to points (as they did in Green Bay) then yes he is more than just "part" of the problem.

The Bears have scored 3 points in the second half of the last 2 games combined!!! They had 1 first down in the second half. That is a bad game, the numbers are lying, not the INT's.

I said in another thread that something needs to be done about the difference in Offensive production in the 2nd half.

One thing that has been drilled into my head from High school and College football Coaches.... The Numbers never lie. The Offense looks great at times and shit at times. Its averaging out to the numbers you see.

Shit the O put up 500 total yards against the Pack.... Just couldn't get points after the first half with a no point trip to the endzone at the first half and a penalty taking points away from the O in the second half on one drive.

The O (including Coaches and players) need to perform better, especially in the 2nd half. If Cutler can eliminate one WTF play a game and the O pick up their play we will be alright.

Do you forget some of the Horrendous performances Cutler put up while under Martz and Tice....... Night and day from then and now.

Issue is, when two of those "bad plays" become turnovers which translate almost directly to points (as they did in Green Bay) then yes he is more than just "part" of the problem.

We all agree that the D is a weakness too. Probably expected it. Tucker is running it. Allen is not the same as he once was, nor is Briggs. Houston...was he still on the team? Conte comes and goes each game. And the rest comprise mainly of first year players. Even if this D was performing at 'average level' (say ranked 16th or so) you can't expect them to stop every extra scoring opportunity the opponent gets. Especially if it's extra opportunities they wouldn't have had to begin with.

The Defense is 17th in yards per game, 23rd in points, and second in turn overs. That's including points the special teams points let up, bad field position from a specials teams, an offense that's not moving the ball and turn overs.

The biggest reason I have faith in Cutler is this is the first time in Chicago where Jay has had a good oline and consistent playbook and under both years under Trestman to date we've seen significant growth in the level of calmness, etc. I think at some point we'll see more of this stuff go away. I already think we've seen so many less WTF Jay throws this year then a year ago and multiple years ago, still, there have been some pretty foolish mistakes and the pick number is excasperated by at least two that were entirely on the skill position players (Marshall - 1; Bennett - 1).

Take those away and you are talking about a relatively minimal number of picks and a pretty good TD / INT record, a significantly improved completion %, etc. I just don't understand how we were so conservative in the 2nd half and how we haven't gone to the deep ball more often, especially since we would seem to have set it up so nicely the past few weeks.

The biggest reason I have faith in Cutler is this is the first time in Chicago where Jay has had a good oline and consistent playbook and under both years under Trestman to date we've seen significant growth in the level of calmness, etc. I think at some point we'll see more of this stuff go away. I already think we've seen so many less WTF Jay throws this year then a year ago and multiple years ago, still, there have been some pretty foolish mistakes and the pick number is excasperated by at least two that were entirely on the skill position players (Marshall - 1; Bennett - 1).

Take those away and you are talking about a relatively minimal number of picks and a pretty good TD / INT record, a significantly improved completion %, etc. I just don't understand how we were so conservative in the 2nd half and how we haven't gone to the deep ball more often, especially since we would seem to have set it up so nicely the past few weeks.

I think some of his earlier WTF's (from prior to Trestman) were due to shitty O Line.

But this is what I meant by the next threee weeks are critical. If we lose 2 of those 3 games, we're going to see Cutler press more and things will get worse. I sense if we can, instead, win 2 out of three, he'll calm down a bit, things will come together and we'll make a serious push for the playoffs. This is in Jay's control and he's paid well enough that we have every right to expect better than we've seen. It's on him.

Well put...

Exactly. Since Cutler is being paid as elite, we expect it. There were players we could have signed/kept if it were not for his contract. If he's paid 15 million a year Hester could still be returning kicks on his way to the HOF. It's not Jays fault he got paid, but he has to bear the weight.

Good musing C-Dog...

There's really nothing I can argue with other than the D. I give them a D. I do not see them as average, I see them as below average. We know some of the scores aren't quite on them, but the reality is we've given up 23,20,19,38,31. We started off well enough (basically holding anyone 20 and under is just fine), but the past 2 games have been atrocious. I think I could change my grade maybe to a C- since 3 of the 5 games were OK, but 2 were atrocious.

I actually think the scheme (not blitzing and safeties too deep) and lack of a consistent pash rush is my primary complaint with the defense this year. I think the young players beyond Fuller are also flashing at times. Ego had a good game last week and Sutton as well. Young has been the most impact full dl thus far which was Avery offseason signing. I really can't stand how deep the safeties play which makes the middle seem so vulnerable. The turnovers gave Carolina short fields and that damn punt return should not off happened ( ball should have been downed when it hit Williams in the back as he was illegally tackling the returner. Overall thought the d was playing with passion, gang tackling, stopping the run, and the pass rush early was vey good but the safety scheme and alignment was too deep and they wee getting exploited in the seems.

Pretty much agree and you can put joe decamillis to the fire now list! He sucks and probably the worst special teams coach I've seen.

2009 60 and 76.8

2010 60 and 86.3

2011 58 and 85

2012 58 and 81

2013 63 and 89

2014 68 and 94.9

This last game

I agree and would also add cutler has made personal strides in both leadership and being a better teamate per Patrick Mannley on the score?

Exactly. Since Cutler is being paid as elite, we expect it. There were players we could have signed/kept if it were not for his contract. If he's paid 15 million a year Hester could still be returning kicks on his way to the HOF. It's not Jays fault he got paid, but he has to bear the weight.

No QB in the league is perfect. your suggesting cutler was overpaid but he was clearly the best available QB presently for this team. I had mixed feelings on Hester but like many thought he was on the decline, would love to have him back at a team friendly deal but clearly the teams was starting turn over the aging players. Lance Briggs will probably be then next to be let go in the offseason.

Trestman also needs to clean up his game planning, calls and in game adjustments. The onside kickoff against green bay was beyond stupid. that call put the defense in apposition to fail ( Rodgers does not need a short field )and caused a moment swim in the wrong direction before half.

No QB in the league is perfect. your suggesting cutler was overpaid but he was clearly the best available QB presently for this team. I had mixed feelings on Hester but like many thought he was on the decline, would love to have him back at a team friendly deal but clearly the teams was starting turn over the aging players. Lance Briggs will probably be then next to be let go in the offseason.

I actually was not suggesting he was overpaid. It was a simple assessment that "Joe fan" might come up with. Think of this way. If Cutler gave the team a nice discount and signed for 15 mil a year, would people be debating his worth?

Disagree that Hester was on the decline. Totally agree on Briggs. I got pounded last year for saying he looked slow.

So speaking in the hypothetical and using 'what if'... and considering hindsight being 20/20....

What if...Hester was kept around for another year or two and Trestman actually utilized him as a return/slot player? Imagine the field position the team would have in many of the games rather than behind the 20 or losing the ball in a fumble . I don't think DeCamaillis could even screw that one up.

What if...Cutler hadn't been paid so much for so long? Would the defense have been better through other players brought in? Hindsight says yes, probably a staring safety. But otherwise they did what they could.

Think McCown will be available to re-sign next year as a backup for dirt cheap? Considering the experiment in TB doesn't seem to be going so well.

What if...Urlacher would have been kept around for one more year? Would it have made a difference for this year? Considering he probably wouldn't have been playing this year? Something tells me that he could have made a difference, if not for only play calling, in last years defensive performance.

Some further thoughts on an upcoming reunion: http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpos...amp;src=desktop

So speaking in the hypothetical and using 'what if'... and considering hindsight being 20/20....

What if...Hester was kept around for another year or two and Trestman actually utilized him as a return/slot player? Imagine the field position the team would have in many of the games rather than behind the 20 or losing the ball in a fumble . I don't think DeCamaillis could even screw that one up.

What if...Cutler hadn't been paid so much for so long? Would the defense have been better through other players brought in? Hindsight says yes, probably a staring safety. But otherwise they did what they could.

Think McCown will be available to re-sign next year as a backup for dirt cheap? Considering the experiment in TB doesn't seem to be going so well.

What if...Urlacher would have been kept around for one more year? Would it have made a difference for this year? Considering he probably wouldn't have been playing this year? Something tells me that he could have made a difference, if not for only play calling, in last years defensive performance.

Yep...