Good sign

Alaskan Grizzly

This was commented on earlier during another thread. The thought of Cutler moving out of the pocket might actually make better sense. He seemed to do better while in Denver doing this. I don't think Cutler is made to be a pocket passer. Although Jason always thought Cutler HAD to run I always was of the opinion he chose to be more mobile. With Trestman it really isn't all that much a stretch since Steve Young, who was coached by Trestman, was pretty successful as a mobile QB.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...1104-story.html

This was commented on earlier during another thread. The thought of Cutler moving out of the pocket might actually make better sense. He seemed to do better while in Denver doing this. I don't think Cutler is made to be a pocket passer. Although Jason always thought Cutler HAD to run I always was of the opinion he chose to be more mobile. With Trestman it really isn't all that much a stretch since Steve Young, who was coached by Trestman, was pretty successful as a mobile QB.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...1104-story.html

Im all for moving Cutler around.... He has some wheels, if no one is open he can either run it for a gain or throw it away......

Ok...I agree this is a good sign but the bigger question why is it we are first looking into this a year and a half into Trestman's tenure.

Argument for Trestman= didn't think he needed to do this to win

Argument against= fact, 100% should have been doing this from the day he got here from Denver. Trestman should have done this the very first game he coached with Cutler.

Im leaning with the against argument! lol

Argument for Trestman= didn't think he needed to do this to win

Argument against= fact, 100% should have been doing this from the day he got here from Denver. Trestman should have done this the very first game he coached with Cutler.

Im leaning with the against argument! lol

Especially when he had a QB named Steve Young who ran his system with a lot of success while leveraging the bootleg. It also is yet another mechanism to help your line as you don't allow defensive lineman to really know where the pocket is going to be.

Agreed. I guess better late than never. But it just is more fuel to the fire that Trestman is in over his head...

I'll disagree because fixing Cutler's fundamentals was critical to him being a better QB I see no reason to make him throw on the move more often as a key to fixing that aspect. Plus at the same time we were completely overhauling our Oline. Having a floating pocket doesn't make life easier for Kyle Long remembering where the QB is on each play. Cutler is not that fast, he's mobile but not fast or quick. I'd have told Cutler get your ass in here (the pocket) and learn how to play the position. When that's good then we'll add some wrinkles to it.

What if his fundamentals can't be fixed?

We're stuck with him for at least 2 more years. Best to make lemons out of lemonade...

I'll disagree because fixing Cutler's fundamentals was critical to him being a better QB I see no reason to make him throw on the move more often as a key to fixing that aspect. Plus at the same time we were completely overhauling our Oline. Having a floating pocket doesn't make life easier for Kyle Long remembering where the QB is on each play. Cutler is not that fast, he's mobile but not fast or quick. I'd have told Cutler get your ass in here (the pocket) and learn how to play the position. When that's good then we'll add some wrinkles to it.

I think that's the issue. Cutler is NOT a pocket passer. He doesn't have the vision (or patience) to 'stand tall' in the pocket and go through his progressions. Hasn't been comfortable doing it and after nine years (some of it trying to be a pocket passer) without lasting effectiveness, he needs to try something that might work better. The one year he had as Pro Bowler was with the zone blocking scheme that Shannahan employed in Denver. I'm fairly confident the younger players on the line; Long, Ola and Mills can adapt. Most of these guys have experience at Guard where a lot times you are asked to pull on trap blocks. Zone blocking is a little easier where you're shuffling right or left (with the rest of line) depending on the call. And since the team is essentially using a variant of WCO then it makes sense to try and do this.

What if his fundamentals can't be fixed?

We're stuck with him for at least 2 more years. Best to make lemons out of lemonade...

Do you really think abandoning fundamentals will enable him to excel? Nobody ever says this but lemonade is horrible if there is no sugar in it.

Not sure how you are exactly jumping to that conclusion...

The logical takeaway is that you continue to work on fundamentals with the hope that it finally sinks in at some point. But, you become open to utilizing the things he does well...like be on the move.

And I disagree about lemonade. It's horrible until you put whiskey in it... ;)

Do you really think abandoning fundamentals will enable him to excel? Nobody ever says this but lemonade is horrible if there is no sugar in it.