Shanny as HC?

Alaskan Grizzly

I really don't want to continue catering to Jay. I realize we paid him a lot of money but at this point we need to start moving forward as an organization and bring in fresh perspectives and a new regime. If they stick with Jay while building defense and other areas (and drafting a young QB), great, if not, that is fine too.

I don't think "catering" to Jay is the point here. The point is that Emery (based on the recommendation of Trestman - presumably) made a big mistake of signing Jay long term (c'mon two more years of Jay is considered long term) and to big money. Instead of taking the financial hit see what someone like Shannahan can do with him. We just discussed last week how we mostly liked the idea of zone blocking and Jay having a moving platform from which to throw. Why not give the coach who had the most success with Jay give it a shot? (by the way, did they actually do any of the moving pocket they said they'd try during the GB game?). And if that doesn't work, sit Cutler and look to trade him later. Either at the end of year two or before. Depending on what you can get. Which at this point might be a 7th round pick and a back up punter . But then we also need a new punter too so there is that.

The other option is can Cutler (trade or whatever) and pay a veteran at a lower cost (hello McCown?) while drafting for a newer QB.

I don't think "catering" to Jay is the point here. The point is that Emery (based on the recommendation of Trestman - presumably) made a big mistake of signing Jay long term (c'mon two more years of Jay is considered long term) and to big money. Instead of taking the financial hit see what someone like Shannahan can do with him. We just discussed last week how we mostly liked the idea of zone blocking and Jay having a moving platform from which to throw. Why not give the coach who had the most success with Jay give it a shot? (by the way, did they actually do any of the moving pocket they said they'd try during the GB game?). And if that doesn't work, sit Cutler and look to trade him later. Either at the end of year two or before. Depending on what you can get. Which at this point might be a 7th round pick and a back up punter . But then we also need a new punter too so there is that.

The other option is can Cutler (trade or whatever) and pay a veteran at a lower cost (hello McCown?) while drafting for a newer QB.

My issue here is are we hiring the best coach or are we hiring the only guy with a good track record who would be willing to come here? It seems to me if we bring anyone in, it should be who we think is the right guy long-term. We've bet on Jay too long. If whomever we bring in still uses Jay for the next couple years, great, if we win with him, great, if not, I want whomever we brought being the person we think is the right long-term man for the job.

I also can't buy into any situation in which Emery relied solely on Trestman to sign Jay to big money. Don't believe it for a second. The same GM who controlled pretty much every coach Trestman hired. And if he did, poor decision. You don't want out those type of contracts without being 100% on board as well (as an organization too). The reality is our organization has made poor decisions. We need to hire whomever is best and let them do what they want with Jay, period. That is from the GM on down and in my opinion should also involve someone stepping into a role above the GM as well (maybe a bill Polian).

Hmmmm... The question has to be asked.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/...xt-bears-coach/

I have two sides to this:

1. Hell NO, why cater to Cutler again. Its time to start over from Ted Phillips down. This route could mean a couple of years of terrible football, if you were to clean house.

2. Part of me is like hell yeah!!! lol..... Before Shanny went to the Redskins, if you asked me if I would want Shanny as a HC I would be on board 100%. Who knows what the real problem was in Washington. He is a proven winner 2 SB's.

His offenses have always been great, love his zone read blocking scheme. Took Terrell Davis a 6th round draft pick and made him a star. With or with out Cutler I would have liked Shanny as our HC>

Then to take it a step further, we have Cutler locked in for 2 more years and BM locked in for another 3 or 4 years. Shanny has worked with both and has gotten great production out of both. Cutlers Probowl year was under Shanny.

Why start totally over when we do have talent on the Offensive side. I would think if the Bears went D heavy in the draft and signed a few more FA this thing could get turned around pretty quickly with the right Coaching staff.

Kevin Sumlin would be my choice.

Why Sumlin??? I know he has been successful in college. Not against him, just would like a proven winner in the NFL more then a college coach.

Im not saying Sumlin would be a bad choice, I could be sold on Sumlin as I bought into Trestman. lol

Yes, please.

At least it's better than what is in place. I would prefer a younger, hungrier option...someone who hasn't made it tot he peak as a HC, maybe as a coordinator... But, I think given all the plusses, I'd be more than OK with Ratahan.

Hmmmm... The question has to be asked.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/...xt-bears-coach/

He did take that horrible Wash team to the playoffs during his tenure...

To me, this is a slam dunk hire for McCaskey/Emery. It eases the fan base. It's allows for one more try for Cutler while drafting a young QB to groom. And you get a proven winner with passion.

I have two sides to this:

1. Hell NO, why cater to Cutler again. Its time to start over from Ted Phillips down. This route could mean a couple of years of terrible football, if you were to clean house.

2. Part of me is like hell yeah!!! lol..... Before Shanny went to the Redskins, if you asked me if I would want Shanny as a HC I would be on board 100%. Who knows what the real problem was in Washington. He is a proven winner 2 SB's.

His offenses have always been great, love his zone read blocking scheme. Took Terrell Davis a 6th round draft pick and made him a star. With or with out Cutler I would have liked Shanny as our HC>

Then to take it a step further, we have Cutler locked in for 2 more years and BM locked in for another 3 or 4 years. Shanny has worked with both and has gotten great production out of both. Cutlers Probowl year was under Shanny.

Why start totally over when we do have talent on the Offensive side. I would think if the Bears went D heavy in the draft and signed a few more FA this thing could get turned around pretty quickly with the right Coaching staff.

He did take that horrible Wash team to the playoffs during his tenure...

To me, this is a slam dunk hire for McCaskey/Emery. It eases the fan base. It's allows for one more try for Cutler while drafting a young QB to groom. And you get a proven winner with passion.

I agree, that it would put the fan base at ease. It is a whole lot better then some weird looking geek from the Canadian Football league.

Maybe Im wrong, Trestman can right this ship, at least on the offensive side of the ball this year. I wouldn't be soooo disgusted if the Offense was playing well.

I can deal with the D playing like shit, there are glaring holes in the talent on that side of the ball. There is no problem with talent on the O, there is no reason the O sucks this bad.

I will say that if the team continues to play like they have the last two games, there is no way Trestman makes it to year 3. The only way Trestman saves his job is if the O gets on a hot streak and puts up big numbers every week moving fwd.

Then Mel Tucker and Joe De will get fired and Trestman will save his job.

I say no thanks. Would you want him because he coached Cutler before? I think we have catered to Cutler enough. If he screws up, they need to start sitting him.

This. We should be done catering to Cutler. Instead of catering to the problem, we should probably address it. This guy is a coach killer, plain and simple.

This. We should be done catering to Cutler. Instead of catering to the problem, we should probably address it. This guy is a coach killer, plain and simple.

I get the catering to jay but With or without Jay I would be happy Shanny as our HC. I remember when Shanny was a FA I wanted the Bears to Fire Lovie and sign him. Didn't happen.

I get the catering to jay but With or without Jay I would be happy Shanny as our HC. I remember when Shanny was a FA I wanted the Bears to Fire Lovie and sign him. Didn't happen.

That is the question to me. If the Bears think Shanny is the right man for the job, period, fine, go get him, but do not hire him to cater to Jay. If Shanny wants Jay, great, if he doesn't, great. Personally I would be okay with a defensive coach who could come in and hire the right offensive guy and really get the defense rebuilt. Find an OC who will focus on the line and ground game while still taking advantage of Jay / other weapons and we can draft someone more long-term but reinvent the D. I'm thinking Bowles or whatever his name from the Cardinals would be a very good get (as long as he has the clout to bring in a very good offensive mind).

I also am clearly on board with Harbaugh. I think the first step starts with bringing Polian into some sort of adviser role to basically oversee this mess, get a gauge for what is going on and then making recommendations to the McCaskeys about who needs to be let go of, etc. Start that process now and then at the end of the year, I'm okay upgrading Polian into a president role and then bringing on a GM who he sees fit and letting them pick the coach.

If the front office thinks Shanny is the right guy for the job, great, hire him, but I do not want it to be because of Jay.

This hire makes to much sense for the front office to think he is the right guy. LOL

In all honesty I don't care what the Front office thinks. They have yet to make the right decision. I feel that the Bears should have cut ties with JA, Lovie sooner then they did.

Had they made a move on JA sooner maybe we would not be in such a mess now.

This hire makes to much sense for the front office to think he is the right guy. LOL

In all honesty I don't care what the Front office thinks. They have yet to make the right decision. I feel that the Bears should have cut ties with JA, Lovie sooner then they did.

Well you'll see my whole point is I don't want Emery making another decision. He is a steaming pile of turd. I want us to bring in good football people at the top and then make that decision. 5 years ago, I'd have been all over Shanny, now, I don't know how much I like that hire. I think I'd rather go with Bowles to be honest. That said, Redskins are a mess of an organization.

That is the question to me. If the Bears think Shanny is the right man for the job, period, fine, go get him, but do not hire him to cater to Jay. If Shanny wants Jay, great, if he doesn't, great. Personally I would be okay with a defensive coach who could come in and hire the right offensive guy and really get the defense rebuilt. Find an OC who will focus on the line and ground game while still taking advantage of Jay / other weapons and we can draft someone more long-term but reinvent the D. I'm thinking Bowles or whatever his name from the Cardinals would be a very good get (as long as he has the clout to bring in a very good offensive mind).

I also am clearly on board with Harbaugh. I think the first step starts with bringing Polian into some sort of adviser role to basically oversee this mess, get a gauge for what is going on and then making recommendations to the McCaskeys about who needs to be let go of, etc. Start that process now and then at the end of the year, I'm okay upgrading Polian into a president role and then bringing on a GM who he sees fit and letting them pick the coach.

I think Harbaugh would be a good hire..... Who knows where he would want to go in terms of personnel.

I like the idea of Polian being hired on to consult with the McCaskey's 100%. I also think you are right with they should do this NOW, let him get a first hand view of whats going on inside Halas hall.

If they did this it would pretty much tell everyone shit is going to change.

agreed!