Watched the game on DVR

scs787

I liked being able to watch it on the DVR because I could fast forward and not dwell on the bad or get too over excited with the good...Plus sadly a family member ruined the outcome for me despite me telling everyone not to, so the whole game I was set on looking at why we lost the game.

First and foremost the offensive playing calling continued to look scared for the most part. That's exactly the word that needs to be said when labeling the offense.

Announcer said at one point that it looks like the Bears were looking to set the record for swing passes. I get it to an extent but one thing that I really don't understand why they didn't continue to do after the Minny game was have Jay roll out of the pocket more. There was one point where they brought in Leno to be an extra blocker and they rolled Jay out to his side and he a ton of time....Why haven't we seen that more often? Last year we seen Britton out there what seemed like at least once a drive. This year when the OL has struggled we barely see it at all.

Dump passes might work for a few drives, like they did today, but soon the defense will pinch in and limit those plays. That's when you need to take advantage of the deeper stuff....but that's when then OL struggles.

I've been the biggest Jay supporter here but I'm starting to think that he fits right in with that playing scared label I put on the offense.

Oh, and the D got schooled after the 1st quarter. Fuller ain't no Peanut yet.

We have good players on offense. We have two receivers who can make great catches. But we need several things but for sure we need some speed on offense. I don't care about the record for swing passes because they were largely effective early on. I don't think Calvin Johnson was bothered with his record for 15 yd slant routes either.

When it was time to take advantage of the closer coverage we cannot get guys open deep, or we can't run the coverage off deep and have someone underneath take advantage of single coverage. I can't be the only one who sees LBs running stride for stride covering Forte and not just in this game. Forte is versatile but does anyone really think a D is scared of him breaking off a big play? Jeffrey and Marshall don't often run away from coverage either. Everyone knows it will be a jump ball when they go deep. Our best advantage appears to be Martellus Bennett and I think we should be using him more.

There's plenty of blame to go around for the offense. Can't protect (against that Dline) long enough to spread the D out. We certainly couldn't run block against them. Ola against Fairley? Kyle Long is a stud though. Overall if you are going to run these type of players out there then you better have a very good Oline to get them time to get open. We don't. Most certainly not against the best Dline in the NFL.

I felt Cutler did ok taking what the D gave him and stayed within the game plan, at least until very late in the game. By then it didn't really matter.

On defense I counted 10 rookies or 2nd year players we relied on:

DBs: Demontre Hurst, Kyle Fuller, Brock Vereen

LBs: Christian Jones, John Bostic, SMC, . I'll include SMC in 2nd year group solely because he's in a 1st year of position switch but yes he's in his 3rd season.

DT: Will Sutton, Ego Ferguson, and some guy I never heard of name Brandon Dunn

DE: David Bass, Cornelius Washington (until he was injured was the 11th)

That has to be the youngest defensive group in the NFL by far, maybe one of the youngest ever fielded. Despite that the run defense was very good. Pass coverage was not and learning curve seemed to be flat on the same routes over and over. Yet in the 2nd half they came out and improved in coverage. There are definitely some good things to build on from this young group but it will take time although the LBs pass coverage has a long way to go. While I see improvement in the front 7 players we must add some good safeties to the mix. Mundy had a bad game often taking poor angles on plays.

On defense I counted 10 rookies or 2nd year players we relied on:

DBs: Demontre Hurst, Kyle Fuller, Brock Vereen

LBs: Christian Jones, John Bostic, SMC, . I'll include SMC in 2nd year group solely because he's in a 1st year of position switch but yes he's in his 3rd season.

DT: Will Sutton, Ego Ferguson, and some guy I never heard of name Brandon Dunn

DE: David Bass, Cornelius Washington (until he was injured was the 11th)

That has to be the youngest defensive group in the NFL by far, maybe one of the youngest ever fielded. Despite that the run defense was very good. Pass coverage was not and learning curve seemed to be flat on the same routes over and over. Yet in the 2nd half they came out and improved in coverage. There are definitely some good things to build on from this young group but it will take time although the LBs pass coverage has a long way to go. While I see improvement in the front 7 players we must add some good safeties to the mix. Mundy had a bad game often taking poor angles on plays.

Fuller seems to be strictly a Slot Corner. He can't handle the bigger receivers like Peanut did. We need a bigger corner. Vereen is also under-sized. We definitely need to get bigger. For the LBs, they are great in run support, but bite every time on play action and didn't handle the screens very well. The D-Line played pretty good for stretches, then disappeared for others. Sutton was mentioned several times. Overall I agree that we are really running a lot of younger players out there, but it is still football and at some point these guys (like Bostic) should get it. Look at Borland in SF, rookie in the middle, in on almost every play.

Overall I agree that we are really running a lot of younger players out there, but it is still football and at some point these guys (like Bostic) should get it. Look at Borland in SF, rookie in the middle, in on almost every play.

...like CJ Mosely in Baltimore, Kahlil Mack in Oakland or Luke Keuchly (a few years back) in Carolina

...like CJ Mosely in Baltimore, Kahlil Mack in Oakland or Luke Keuchly (a few years back) in Carolina

It seems we are 4 first RD draft picks away. I do think finding a stud MLB is the biggest need. Our middle is soft and gets exposed in the passing game. If we can come out of the offseason with a Brian Urlacher and Mike Brown draft, we can might see a respectable D again. If there is a way to trade down a few slots and draft Benardrick McKinney MLB and trade back up for Gerod Holliman S, we may have something. We have so many holes QB, RB, speed WR, Oline, S, CB, it can go on and on. But if we are stuck with these coaches again, fix the D holes first through draft and then plug offense with 1 yr fa deals.

It seems we are 4 first RD draft picks away. I do think finding a stud MLB is the biggest need. Our middle is soft and gets exposed in the passing game. If we can come out of the offseason with a Brian Urlacher and Mike Brown draft, we can might see a respectable D again. If there is a way to trade down a few slots and draft Benardrick McKinney MLB and trade back up for Gerod Holliman S, we may have something. We have so many holes QB, RB, speed WR, Oline, S, CB, it can go on and on. But if we are stuck with these coaches again, fix the D holes first through draft and then plug offense with 1 yr fa deals.

These days it seems like the talent at the college level is getting better and better so I wouldnt say 4 first rounders. They just have to hit on those guys.

Fuller seems to be strictly a Slot Corner. He can't handle the bigger receivers like Peanut did. We need a bigger corner. Vereen is also under-sized. We definitely need to get bigger. For the LBs, they are great in run support, but bite every time on play action and didn't handle the screens very well. The D-Line played pretty good for stretches, then disappeared for others. Sutton was mentioned several times. Overall I agree that we are really running a lot of younger players out there, but it is still football and at some point these guys (like Bostic) should get it. Look at Borland in SF, rookie in the middle, in on almost every play.

I think Fuller is just fine on the outside but he's still a rookie and learning. He's tough and played through a bum knee yesterday. Everytime I saw him walking around after a play he was limping a little bit. He went at Megatron and lost but he'll learn from it. He also wasn't getting the support he should have had on the inside routes. If he's playing outside technique then there has to be someone assigned to take away that inside slant and that player usually wasn't there. Or, like on the TD throw to Johnson, Fuller was right there on the outside but the FS Vereen was late. According to one article I read Vereen actually pulled up and decided not to hit Johnson on that play.

These days it seems like the talent at the college level is getting better and better so I wouldnt say 4 first rounders. They just have to hit on those guys.

True, was being a little sarcastic, but we do need homeruns. Now the thought of having a need to replace the QB has to loom in the next two drafts.

True, was being a little sarcastic, but we do need homeruns. Now the thought of having a need to replace the QB has to loom in the next two drafts.

Yes but we all knew Cutler's deal was a 3 to 7 year deal meaning the team could get out from under it anytime after the 3rd season. It will be interesting to see how we handle this with Clausen already in house. Clausen has the physical talent to play QB in this league, unlike Fales who's arm isn't very strong. I don't see us drafting a QB in Rd 1 with so many other needs but if we go after one in Rd 2 or 3 then the coaches have decided Clausen isn't the answer.

All of which brings up the question: At what point will we see Clausen play? Knowing you have that decision to make regarding Cutler or future option, wouldn't you want a better idea of what Clausen can do before you commit such a high pick to a rookie QB?

Yes but we all knew Cutler's deal was a 3 to 7 year deal meaning the team could get out from under it anytime after the 3rd season. It will be interesting to see how we handle this with Clausen already in house. Clausen has the physical talent to play QB in this league, unlike Fales who's arm isn't very strong. I don't see us drafting a QB in Rd 1 with so many other needs but if we go after one in Rd 2 or 3 then the coaches have decided Clausen isn't the answer.

All of which brings up the question: At what point will we see Clausen play? Knowing you have that decision to make regarding Cutler or future option, wouldn't you want a better idea of what Clausen can do before you commit such a high pick to a rookie QB?

Watch, Cutler will get a phantom injury (groin, high ankle sprain) in the next 2 weeks and Clausen will play out the season and win out for us to get us to 7-9. You heard it here first.

I can't imagine Cutler isn't the starter next year. Ride it out, let him build some confidence in Wilson, and build on next year.

If the offense continues to sputter next year then its plausible they take that 3M hit in 2016 to get out of that contract.

I can see that, along with Trestman getting axed. There is too much riding $ wise to see a big changeover. They may promote the Dline coach to DC and find a new ST coach, but I think they try to stay on course.

I can't imagine Cutler isn't the starter next year. Ride it out, let him build some confidence in Wilson, and build on next year.

If the offense continues to sputter next year then its plausible they take that 3M hit in 2016 to get out of that contract.

If some team wants Cutler and his contract, thank goodness, and I hope he goes.

I know I'm gonna be in the minority but I still think Jay can do well behind a good OL. Thursday we get to see that Cowboys OL and man, I'd kill to have that line in front of Jay and Forte. Watching last weeks game dude was getting 8 seconds to throw on multiple occasions. I wonder if that has happened even once for Jay.

In my ideal world we sign KJ Wright(LB) and Louis Delmas(FS) in FA, draft a CB in the first round, then draft a Tackle and Center with the next 2 picks.