Draft LT?

AZ54

Sadly, I have to start looking at how we fix this mess in the offseason or the emotions of these losses will really make me depressed. I've said fixing the pass rush is the top priority for us in the offseason. Safety is in the mix too. However, what if the value isn't there when we pick in the 1st Rd? When you draft early in the first I think it's imperative that you grab a blue chip player period regardless of needs. If that blue chip player fits a need all the better but regardless, you always take the elite player when the opportunity presents itself.

Draft Tek has us picking a LT, Andrus Peat, from Stanford. I know they are using computer simulations but still it got me to thinking. LT2 once said there is only one way to get a franchise LT and that is to draft one. I don't know anything about this guy but if this scenario plays out would our best move be to draft a franchise LT? If, as many here think will happen, this coaching staff and roster will end up in total upheaval either this offseason or next then why not? Even in the short term it won't hurt the offense. This moves Bushrod over to RT and kicks Mills to backup OT/OG. That's some pretty good bookends at OT and depth on our roster and then you have two very good OG in Slausson/Long.

I'd do it especially considering we may be looking for our next QB in the 2016 draft.

You know me by now. I would draft a LT, DE or DB based on BPA. It will make some portion of the team stronger. We are two to three pieces away from fixing the O. Tackle, center and speed player. The D needs more and is going to be more complicated. I'm not against fixing one thing completely and patching the other. The O DEFINITELY didn't do the D Amy favors this year.

With the defense historically bad, it is hard to see us drafting offense in the first. I hope we can get Landon Collins from Alabama. I almost think you exclusively have to look at S or LB in the first unless someone falls to us.

I disagree of course. Our pass rush is bloody awful. If you have the choice of a blue chip safety, LB or DE, you have to take the DE. DB's are useless if you can't pressure the QB.

Add to that, a decent offense would improve the defense more than a LB or DB by keeping them off the field. We, on this board, are going to have a blast deciding how to fix this mess.

Sadly, I have to start looking at how we fix this mess in the offseason or the emotions of these losses will really make me depressed. I've said fixing the pass rush is the top priority for us in the offseason. Safety is in the mix too. However, what if the value isn't there when we pick in the 1st Rd? When you draft early in the first I think it's imperative that you grab a blue chip player period regardless of needs. If that blue chip player fits a need all the better but regardless, you always take the elite player when the opportunity presents itself.

Draft Tek has us picking a LT, Andrus Peat, from Stanford. I know they are using computer simulations but still it got me to thinking. LT2 once said there is only one way to get a franchise LT and that is to draft one. I don't know anything about this guy but if this scenario plays out would our best move be to draft a franchise LT? If, as many here think will happen, this coaching staff and roster will end up in total upheaval either this offseason or next then why not? Even in the short term it won't hurt the offense. This moves Bushrod over to RT and kicks Mills to backup OT/OG. That's some pretty good bookends at OT and depth on our roster and then you have two very good OG in Slausson/Long.

I'd do it especially considering we may be looking for our next QB in the 2016 draft.

I am all for BPA especially if its a LT. One thing that could make the Offense better next year would be a great oline. Look at Dallas, they fixed the oline and now they are running all over everyone and winning a lot of games.

You make our running game better you will make our pass game better. The run sets up the pass and with a great oline you can give Cutler all the time in the world to pass.

I disagree of course. Our pass rush is bloody awful. If you have the choice of a blue chip safety, LB or DE, you have to take the DE. DB's are useless if you can't pressure the QB.

Add to that, a decent offense would improve the defense more than a LB or DB by keeping them off the field. We, on this board, are going to have a blast deciding how to fix this mess.

Im with Mongo here, if you have a great pass rush it will make the all the DB's look better.

Also look at our rival the GB Packers, if you give Rodgers any amount of time he will pick you apart, it wouldn't matter if we had 4 Derrell Revis's. You give Rodgers time its over. If you want to beat the Packers and every other team you have to get after the QB.

Hopefully there are some decent LB's or DB's on the FA market this year, the Bears will have some cap space to sign some players, address those two needs before the draft.

You know me by now. I would draft a LT, DE or DB based on BPA. It will make some portion of the team stronger. We are two to three pieces away from fixing the O. Tackle, center and speed player. The D needs more and is going to be more complicated. I'm not against fixing one thing completely and patching the other. The O DEFINITELY didn't do the D Amy favors this year.

Also another point on why drafting a LT is so important, it costs a lot more to pay for a LT through FA than drafting one.

Two of the more expensive FA positions are LT and DE. We paid out the nose for Peppers (not saying I wouldn't want them to sign a Peppers type DE again).

Drafting and developing our own LT and DE's will give the Bears more cap space to sign other players.

Would drafting another Urlacher be considered a premium like OT/DE. Because I think we can land McKinney 6'-5" 250 and 4.55 speed. The guy is a leader and can play. We might even be able to trade down a few spots, gain a 3rd and still draft him. Draft a FS round 2, Cody Prewitt, Gerod Holliman, or Darron Smith and the a Center RD3 Reece Demukes or Hronis Grasu.

Would drafting another Urlacher be considered a premium like OT/DE. Because I think we can land McKinney 6'-5" 250 and 4.55 speed. The guy is a leader and can play. We might even be able to trade down a few spots, gain a 3rd and still draft him. Draft a FS round 2, Cody Prewitt, Gerod Holliman, or Darron Smith and the a Center RD3 Reece Demukes or Hronis Grasu.

If you know you are getting that, yes.

If they see their Aaron Rodgers, they have to get him. Jay Cutler just isn't the answer.

Drafting a LT would be near the bottom of my list. The line wasn't great this year, but a lot of that did have to do with injuries. Bushrod is not bad, and Long still has the possibility of sliding over.

The Bears need about everything, so BPA wouldn't be especially bad. There's not a standout DT or DE on the team. Briggs will be gone, and the Bears will be left without a starting quality linebacker. The safeties are atrocious. Jennings is getting older and his deficiencies were covered up by Tillman, but Fuller is no Tillman at this point. Forte will be 30, which is never good for a RB with his mileage in college and the NFL. And so on.

If you know you are getting that, yes.

I've been scrounging MLBs since Urlacher. 2013, I wanted Alec Ogletree who was a converted S, big and fast also. He is doing well at STL. I was intigued by Mosely, but felt other positions were a higher priority. Now I see this kid and he has the perfect mold and he has been successful at the college level. Just to think we might be able to duplicate the 2000 draft on finding our Urlacher and Mike Brown....heck even our 1999 Olin Kreutz. But we know Emery will do something completely off wall and draft a top WR.

If they see their Aaron Rodgers, they have to get him. Jay Cutler just isn't the answer.

Drafting a LT would be near the bottom of my list. The line wasn't great this year, but a lot of that did have to do with injuries. Bushrod is not bad, and Long still has the possibility of sliding over.

The Bears need about everything, so BPA wouldn't be especially bad. There's not a standout DT or DE on the team. Briggs will be gone, and the Bears will be left without a starting quality linebacker. The safeties are atrocious. Jennings is getting older and his deficiencies were covered up by Tillman, but Fuller is no Tillman at this point. Forte will be 30, which is never good for a RB with his mileage in college and the NFL. And so on.

I'm with you on the BPA for round 1 in the draft. You can find decent OLmen in later rounds. Still have Bushrod, will have Long and DLP (hopefully) and maybe Slauson for at least another year(?). So it's not necessary to rebuild it just yet. Still have this kid Leno and maybe Mills will pull his head out.

As far as the DL goes, I'd have to disagree. There are some decent players along that line. Young obviously is coming into his own and Paea has had a pretty decent year. (Didn't he lead DTs in sacks?). Then there are Sutton and Ferguson who I think actuall can contribute. Have to believe a lot of why we're not seeing good production from ALL these guys is due to Tucker's ineptness.

And speaking of Young, wasn't he going to talk to Suh about possibly going to Chicago after next year? That's not outside the realm of possibility. For what it's worth I should also add that i think having Jared on the team at least for one more year would be great. They'll need his leadership with Briggs sure to be gone and the uncertainty of Peanut.

I'm with you on the BPA for round 1 in the draft. You can find decent OLmen in later rounds. Still have Bushrod, will have Long and DLP (hopefully) and maybe Slauson for at least another year(?). So it's not necessary to rebuild it just yet. Still have this kid Leno and maybe Mills will pull his head out.

As far as the DL goes, I'd have to disagree. There are some decent players along that line. Young obviously is coming into his own and Paea has had a pretty decent year. (Didn't he lead DTs in sacks?). Then there are Sutton and Ferguson who I think actuall can contribute. Have to believe a lot of why we're not seeing good production from ALL these guys is due to Tucker's ineptness.

And speaking of Young, wasn't he going to talk to Suh about possibly going to Chicago after next year? That's not outside the realm of possibility. For what it's worth I should also add that i think having Jared on the team at least for one more year would be great. They'll need his leadership with Briggs sure to be gone and the uncertainty of Peanut.

Young isn't that good against the run, and hasn't been that effective lately. I also think Allen can turn it around next year, but there is still the need for a stud DE down the road. Paea is having his best year, and I really like Ratcliff but he is aging. Sutton and Ferguson may be able to contribute, but I don't think they are special players.

Depending on who is there, I really want a QB. I think LB and Safety are the next biggest needs, but I don't like a pick as early as the Bears spent on either position. That's why I lean towards QB if the right one is there then BPA after that.