Trade Cutler for RGIII

AZ54

Just wondering if anyone here would make that deal and if so, why?

I'm pretty sure up until Oct 1st of this year the answer was heck yeah. Now I doubt that's true. Outside of Mariota the QBs in the draft aren't that great. We know Snyder won't worry about taking on Cutler's contract and much like the Bears he needs to, or always wants to, do something to quickly turn his team around. For all his faults, Cutler will make their team better and likely much better than any of the rookie QBs they can draft.

On our part it's the same…we're not going to be in a position to grab a good QB although we can take someone who needs a season or two to develop. I think this would all depend on if we felt ok if Clausen were our starter. In other words, we would let the Clausen and RGIII compete to be the starter.

I don't know what has happened to RGIII. Right now he looks completely lost on the field. There is no discounting his physical talents but we've heard that for years about another QB. For sure RGIII needs a change of scenery and probably needs to step back from the spotlight and just go to work. I don't know that our offense under Trestman is a good fit for him.

Just wondering if anyone here would make that deal and if so, why?

I'm pretty sure up until Oct 1st of this year the answer was heck yeah. Now I doubt that's true. Outside of Mariota the QBs in the draft aren't that great. We know Snyder won't worry about taking on Cutler's contract and much like the Bears he needs to, or always wants to, do something to quickly turn his team around. For all his faults, Cutler will make their team better and likely much better than any of the rookie QBs they can draft.

On our part it's the same…we're not going to be in a position to grab a good QB although we can take someone who needs a season or two to develop. I think this would all depend on if we felt ok if Clausen were our starter. In other words, we would let the Clausen and RGIII compete to be the starter.

I don't know what has happened to RGIII. Right now he looks completely lost on the field. There is no discounting his physical talents but we've heard that for years about another QB. For sure RGIII needs a change of scenery and probably needs to step back from the spotlight and just go to work. I don't know that our offense under Trestman is a good fit for him.

As for wanting RG3, not a fan. For the price tag compared to Cutler, sure.

But he isn't a long term solution.

Agreed.

If the QB's areb't in the draft, so be it. We've got him for one more year, then can release him w/o much penalty. And can drop Trestman and Emery too. This is how it probably will play out. A lame duck year. Yet again.

As for wanting RG3, not a fan. For the price tag compared to Cutler, sure.

But he isn't a long term solution.

I would make the trade because it gives us financial flexibility one year sooner. I am not making the trade because I think RG III is a franchise QB though. I don't have a problem with a change of scenery for him and I have no problem if whomever we hire as HC likes him and thinks he is a good fit either but I'm all for cleaning house right now.

I would make the trade because it gives us financial flexibility one year sooner. I am not making the trade because I think RG III is a franchise QB though. I don't have a problem with a change of scenery for him and I have no problem if whomever we hire as HC likes him and thinks he is a good fit either but I'm all for cleaning house right now.

Yeah, I agree, this is the way to go if you can do it. Just like these last 3 games, you essentially make next year a throw-away lame duck year. It is better to cut sling early and move on than to live with the mistake longer.

If it was a straight up swap of players (if that's possible with the cap?) I would do it. I would draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round on top of it and let the two battle it out in training camp. Although, I'm starting to change my stance on signing or trading for players on other teams.

After seeing the way GreenBay operates and how 43 of their 53 players on their roster have never played for another team, it would be nice if the Bears could start doing the same thing. The Packers are never big players in free agency. All of their players are drafted by them. Obviously the Bears haven't been able to do that because their drafting has sucked, but ultimately, that's how I want this team ran in the future. Start drafting better, stop signing mercenary free agents, and lets see where that takes us.

Trade Cutler for RG3? No and why? IMO it'd be like trading one lemon car for another or swapping totaled cars. Neither are worth much. Both are injury prone, have awful mechanics and both inconsistent. No thanks. I'd rather trade Cutler for something that can help us like picks or someone who has potential. Someone might be desperate enough to give us something for Jay. Some team might think they can be the one to harvest Jay's potential.

If it was a straight up swap of players (if that's possible with the cap?) I would do it. I would draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round on top of it and let the two battle it out in training camp. Although, I'm starting to change my stance on signing or trading for players on other teams.

After seeing the way GreenBay operates and how 43 of their 53 players on their roster have never played for another team, it would be nice if the Bears could start doing the same thing. The Packers are never big players in free agency. All of their players are drafted by them. Obviously the Bears haven't been able to do that because their drafting has sucked, but ultimately, that's how I want this team ran in the future. Start drafting better, stop signing mercenary free agents, and lets see where that takes us.

Key being as much as I hate saying this Green Bay knows how to draft. Bears don't. The idea of growing your team through the draft is great but requires good scouting and skilled drafting. Something no one can really accuse the Bears of in quite some time. We've hit on a few here and there but not often enough to build through the draft.

Key being as much as I hate saying this Green Bay knows how to draft. Bears don't. The idea of growing your team through the draft is great but requires good scouting and skilled drafting. Something no one can really accuse the Bears of in quite some time. We've hit on a few here and there but not often enough to build through the draft.

I like this way of doing things, but it takes multiple years. That's why I'm on board with Emery and Trestman for another year.

I'm not so much on board as I am relegated to the fact.

I like some consistency, etc. But not consistent mediocrity! I think we all know how this story will end. I prefer to get to the end and skip the last 1/3 of the book since we know the ending will suck. The longer we drag this out, the more potential of what happened with Jauron and Smith will happen again. One winning season with dumb luck extends everything and we do the deja vu Wayne Fontes thing again.

Overall, I am more lenient towards Emery than Trestman. Trestman does not appear to be a leader of men. Emery had his hands tied behind his back with dictation from the McCaskeys and lousy drafts by Angelo. Yeah, he botched Shea. He should have tagged Cutty. And he should have hired a better coach. But, all that, and he's made some very good moves. I have far less fear moving forward with Emery than I do Trestman.

I like this way of doing things, but it takes multiple years. That's why I'm on board with Emery and Trestman for another year.