NFL Man of the Year

adam

A nine year veteran in the NFL, Jay has shown great passion and dedication for the sport of football. Jay, in his sixth season with the Bears, ranks first in franchise history in career passer rating (84.6), completions (1,556), attempts (2,538) and passing yards (18,018) and is second in passing touchdowns (125). He has also found his passion and purpose outside of football. Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of 24, Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler has made it his mission to help children learn how to live with diabetes. He is the founder of the Jay Cutler Foundation, which helps bring awareness to the disease, funds diabetes screening clinics and helps children with Type 1 diabetes stay active.

How has your nominee put the needs of members in the community ahead of their own?

Since diagnosis, Jay has continually mentioned how fortunate he was to have the resources to manage the disease and as an adult, to comprehend his diagnosis/treatment plan. He has made it his mission to make the process easier for children, while educating them. Kids who are playing sports have the added challenge of managing their insulin levels while competing. Jay can relate to this challenge. In order to continue playing football at the highest level, he had to learn how to self-administer insulin and monitor his blood-sugar while competing.

What is your nominee’s next initiative?

While a majority of Jay’s focus has been supporting young children with diabetes through camps and events, he hopes to expand his college scholarship program by increasing the scholarship amount. Jay began assisting high school athletes who have diabetes by granting them college scholarships through the Diabetes Scholars Foundation. This past year he granted two Jay Cutler Athletic Scholarships. Jay also will continue to donate Bears tickets to kids through the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

When did your nominee start supporting this cause?

Jay was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 2008 and shortly afterward revised the mission statement of his public charity, which he started the previous year, to focus on raising awareness of diabetes and helping afflicted children. Since then, the Jay Cutler Foundation has provided hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants. The charity also has provided grant money to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, among others.

Now has anyone ever considered that his blood sugar levels could be affecting his play/decision making? Having first hand experience with Type 1 Diabetes, their blood sugar is always on their mind, and there are times where they are just "off". Lows cause shakiness, confusion, dizziness, etc. Just thought this was a interesting take on the situation as it is rarely discussed or mentioned in the media.

Check out this article: http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/dia...type-1-diabetes

Now has anyone ever considered that his blood sugar levels could be affecting his play/decision making? Having first hand experience with Type 1 Diabetes, their blood sugar is always on their mind, and there are times where they are just "off". Lows cause shakiness, confusion, dizziness, etc. Just thought this was a interesting take on the situation as it is rarely discussed or mentioned in the media.

Check out this article: http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/dia...type-1-diabetes

Agreed. This runs in my family also and I have to watch things as well. But remember the media would rather bury him he doesn't kiss there ass so they make it a point to only report things in the negative light

Agreed. This runs in my family also and I have to watch things as well. But remember the media would rather bury him he doesn't kiss there ass so they make it a point to only report things in the negative light

but it is a valid concern, and he has mentioned that he has felt it while playing. I have read how others have had to stop playing pro sports because it was too hard to keep their numbers within range. I am just wondering when he is really off that if it has something (not all) to do with his diabetes.

but it is a valid concern, and he has mentioned that he has felt it while playing. I have read how others have had to stop playing pro sports because it was too hard to keep their numbers within range. I am just wondering when he is really off that if it has something (not all) to do with his diabetes.

I might be able to consider that...IF he were a rookie or second year player. But if you consider his "body of work" and winning only one playoff game...don't think so.

And consider this. Right about the time he learned of his diabetes he was either in year 3-4 of his career. About 1 year (or so) removed from his sole Pro Bowl appearance. He knew he had been having issues previously but wasn't diagnosed until later.

He may have to consider retiring from the NFL if it is affecting his play that much. It certainly isn't healthy to continue.

I might be able to consider that...IF he were a rookie or second year player. But if you consider his "body of work" and winning only one playoff game...don't think so.

And consider this. Right about the time he learned of his diabetes he was either in year 3-4 of his career. About 1 year (or so) removed from his sole Pro Bowl appearance. He knew he had been having issues previously but wasn't diagnosed until later.

He may have to consider retiring from the NFL if it is affecting his play that much. It certainly isn't healthy to continue.

I honestly would not be surprised if he retired within the next few years.

it's something that is tough. You can do everything right and feel great and within 10 mins you can start feeling like shit. It happened to me at work once. It came on so fast I had no idea and could barely function. It's definitely a concern. My dad does everything right. Never indulges on those tempting treats and if things don't get better he may be forced into retiring. It really is a bitch to deal with. It's not an excuse. Just pointing out facts

it's something that is tough. You can do everything right and feel great and within 10 mins you can start feeling like shit. It happened to me at work once. It came on so fast I had no idea and could barely function. It's definitely a concern. My dad does everything right. Never indulges on those tempting treats and if things don't get better he may be forced into retiring. It really is a bitch to deal with. It's not an excuse. Just pointing out facts

Sorry guys, but I would never vote for JC besides his trade from the Bears.

He is a disgrace.

No excuses.

Please.

Sorry guys, but I would never vote for JC besides his trade from the Bears.

He is a disgrace.

No excuses.

Please.

It wasn't meant as an excuse or anything like that. Not meant to "get your vote". I was only pointing out facts based on real life experience of what I go thru. Even with pumps are drs visits all the time and being very careful with your day to day activities it's still tough. So many things can affect your levels that most don't know. I didn't know either nor would I believe anyone til it happened to me. Just sitting at work. Minding my own business not even talking to anyone. Sorry if you think I'm defending Jay because I most certainly don't intend to. Ask any of my friends. I stopped defending Jay before mid season. Now I want him gone also. I want heads to roll. My only question is how far do we want to take it.

I applaud Jay for his efforts working with children with diabetes. He goes into clinics and hospitals without fanfare (no media allowed) to educate and inspire children. Diabetes is a tremendously difficult disease for children to manage on a mental and physical level. Any help they can get is great.

I applaud Jay for his efforts working with children with diabetes. He goes into clinics and hospitals without fanfare (no media allowed) to educate and inspire children. Diabetes is a tremendously difficult disease for children to manage on a mental and physical level. Any help they can get is great.

We have to separate the player from the man here. I also applaud him for his work in this area. Just because he has played horrible doesn't make him a bad person.

Peace :dabears

Looking at various articles Jay was diagnosed just before his 25th birthday in 2008 the year he went to the pro bowl. Being traded to the Bears in 2009 there is obviously a chance that diabetes has affected his performance. I am a social worker and have good working knowledge of how debilitating this disease can be. It can cause serious vision problems, confusion and tremors which are symptoms that could easily affect a QB ability to play at a high level.. Although Jay can sometimes be considered petulant and aloof at times he would never use his condition as an excuse for his play.