Hub Arkush: Could Mike Holmgren be on Chicago Bears' list?

Bears4Ever_34

With questions swirling about the futures of Marc Trestman and Phil Emery, and what kind of potential shake-up we'll see, there have been calls for a "football czar" type to help right the ship.

I have not been able to confirm with any of my sources that there have been any talks between Holmgren and the Bears, but a number have agreed it might make a ton of sense.

Several other members of the media and NFL insiders have reached out to me trying to find out if I could confirm talks between Holmgren and the family.

As speculation about next steps continues to go viral, keep Holmgren’s name near the top of the list.

More at link

http://chicagofootball.com/2014/12/18/hub-...-list/akjn3ia/#

A lot of us have been asking for a football czar. Didn't think it was possible that ownership would be smart enough to recognize this, but apparently the chatter has already started.

Holmgren was pretty much a disaster with Cleveland though as their President of Football operations man, so I don't really like hearing his name. Still, hearing this is at least a step in the right direction if they have finally figured out that something like this needs to happen.

More at link

A lot of us have been asking for a football czar. Didn't think it was possible that ownership would be smart enough to recognize this, but apparently the chatter has already started.

Holmgren was pretty much a disaster with Cleveland though as their President of Football operations man, so I don't really like hearing his name. Still, hearing this is at least a step in the right direction if they have finally figured out that something like this needs to happen.

Holmgren has been successful everywhere but Cleveland and in Cleveland he had to go through ownership hell. I think he would be a fantastic hire.

More at link

Mike Holmgren is a 1000% better than Ted Phillips. End of story. Not saying Holmgren would be the best option out there but better than Ted.

I will be happy with anyone that has been apart of a winning franchise that has seen first hand how it is suppose to be run. IT's going to take time once a real football guy is in charge.

I hope George has a plan in place right now, I hope he is reaching out to people right now. I hope he makes changes the day after the regular season is over, at least get Ted to a different position, fire Emery and staff.

If he thinks Holmgren is the right guy great, go get him. Then let him start the search for the next GM. Set it up so everyone is held accountable.

1. President- if its Holmgren so be it

2. GM- who ever Holmgren hires answers to him

3. Support staff/ scouting staff answers to GM

4. Coaching staff answers to GM

Look at the Bears right now, the entire organization is a cluster freak. Big change is needed. Hire a new staff and let them figure out what to do with Cutler.

If it is Holmgren as the new President the nice thing is he knows football. Imagine Emery asking Ted Phillips for advice on anything related to the football field.

Holmgren has been a position coach, OC, HC and team president, he has done it all. Ted Phillips, what was he before becoming the president??? Director of Fiancé or something like that.

Holmgren moved up in the draft to select Trent Richardson. I'm not convinced in his body of work. What's Parcells up to these days?

Trent Richardson was a beast in college, the Browns were able to trade him for a 1st or 2nd and year or 2 later, still getting value back for him. So he is not the only guy to think he was good.

Trent Richardson was a beast in college, the Browns were able to trade him for a 1st or 2nd and year or 2 later, still getting value back for him. So he is not the only guy to think he was good.

Yet are GM's were crucified for picking Curtis Enis and Cedric Benson and both had it all over Richardson talent wise. We argue semantics all day long. IMO, Holmgren is not the choice.

Holmgren had his President and GM title removed when he was coach at Seattle and Cleveland was a failure. I'd prefer not to see him in either roll with the Bears.

Considering he is 66 and hasn't coached since 2008, I wouldn't want him as a coach either.

Like I said Im not saying Holmgren is the best option, just better than Ted. But I want him in the president role, not the GM role. I want him or someone like him to hire a GM to do the drafting and personnel moves.

I want the president to set up the entire structure of the football operations from the top down. It we could base the structure like GB.

Mark Murphy is the president.

Ted Thompson is the GM who handles all personnel moves.

Holmgren being hired as the president wouldn't be in charge of drafting or personnel moves.

Holmgren had his President and GM title removed when he was coach at Seattle and Cleveland was a failure. I'd prefer not to see him in either roll with the Bears.

Considering he is 66 and hasn't coached since 2008, I wouldn't want him as a coach either.

He had those removed because it was too much for one guy to do.

Yet are GM's were crucified for picking Curtis Enis and Cedric Benson and both had it all over Richardson talent wise. We argue semantics all day long. IMO, Holmgren is not the choice.

Benson proved he could play after getting his head right. I never liked the CB pick, we had Thomas Jones at that point.

Why did you have to remind me of Curtis Enis????

How about the RB that blamed weed smoking for his fumbles while playing for the Bears????

Like I said Im not saying Holmgren is the best option, just better than Ted. But I want him in the president role, not the GM role. I want him or someone like him to hire a GM to do the drafting and personnel moves.

I want the president to set up the entire structure of the football operations from the top down. It we could base the structure like GB.

Mark Murphy is the president.

Ted Thompson is the GM who handles all personnel moves.

Holmgren being hired as the president wouldn't be in charge of drafting or personnel moves.

I'm not sure he can find the guy. He didn't in Cleveland. I'm not sure how well he knows the current staffs in the NFL as he's been away from football for a few years and success much longer.

I'd like to see someone like Scot McCloughan brought in as the GM. He was the GM of the 49ers from 2005-2009, and then senior personnel executive in Seattle from 2010 to 2014.

I know he drafted Alex Smith his first year, but he also built a lot of the base they have had success with the last few years, and Seattle speaks for itself.

I'm not sure he can find the guy. He didn't in Cleveland. I'm not sure how well he knows the current staffs in the NFL as he's been away from football for a few years and success much longer.

I'd like to see someone like Scot McCloughan brought in as the GM. He was the GM of the 49ers from 2005-2009, and then senior personnel executive in Seattle from 2010 to 2014.

I know he drafted Alex Smith his first year, but he also built a lot of the base they have had success with the last few years, and Seattle speaks for itself.

Never heard of this guy, 49ers are loaded with Talent and so is Seattle.... I guess we have to first find out if Ted will be replaced or if its just Emery and coaching staff.

I personally think Emery and Trestman are both gone.... You may be right about Holmgren having been out of the league for too long.

If we are talking about a team president would you take Wolf or Bill Polian?

Never heard of this guy, 49ers are loaded with Talent and so is Seattle.... I guess we have to first find out if Ted will be replaced or if its just Emery and coaching staff.

I personally think Emery and Trestman are both gone.... You may be right about Holmgren having been out of the league for too long.

Polian is the greatest NFL executive of all time.

With out a doubt on Polian, that would be my dream hire as president.

No on Wolf. He is a on the wrong side of 75 and been out of the league for a long time. I'd like to see a president with more recent experience and prior knowledge, having worked with or knowing potential candidates for GM.

I would be cool with Holmgren as president.

Peace :dabears

I'd probably be OK with it too if it weren't for the fact that my Wisconsin relatives will give me shit about it.

As long as Phillips is given a completely non-football role, I'll be happy. I don't know how I feel about Emery. Like some of his work, don't like other things....

I think you'd view him as a president...not the GM. You'd bring in a young talent evaluator and let them be the GM but with football people running the house. My personal choice is Ron Wolf in a high level president role with Harbaugh being the HC and a young whippersnapper who is a good scout, etc, being the GM with Wolf really grooming him (or Polian but I don't think Polian is interested in it).

Benson proved he could play after getting his head right. I never liked the CB pick, we had Thomas Jones at that point.

Why did you have to remind me of Curtis Enis????

How about the RB that blamed weed smoking for his fumbles while playing for the Bears????

What RB was that? Was that James Allen? I don't remember him saying it was weed but I remember him fumbling all the damn time.

there is a reason McCloughan does not have a job in the NFL...he is an alcoholic. Great judge of talent but too many personal problems.

there is a reason McCloughan does not have a job in the NFL...he is an alcoholic. Great judge of talent but too many personal problems.

I didn't know that, hell buy him a 6 pack and hire him to run the drafts lol.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id...yed-living-farm

Here is a pretty awesome story about him now. It covers him now. his past struggles, and the guys ability of finding talented players. Here is part of his review on Russell Wilson.

"Obviously we are really interested in passers with better height, but this guy may just be the exception to the rule. He has the 'it' factor."

So does McCloughan. He has an "exceptional ... uncanny" gift, in the words of his mentor and former boss Ron Wolf.