Roster by contract year

ASHKUM BEAR

Before any moves are made, below is the list of players under contract and the year they become a FA.

C-Garza 2016

G-Slausen 2018

G-Long 2017

G-Ola 2017

G-Groy 2016

OT-Bushrod 2018

OT-Leno 2017

OT-Mills 2017

QB-Cutler 2021 (2017)

QB-Fales 2017

RB-Forte 2016

RB-Carey 2018

RB-Perry 2017

TE-Bennett 2017

TE-Annen 2016

WR-Marshall 2018

WR-Jeffery 2016

WR-Wilson 2017

WR-Mariani 2016

WR-Bellamy 2016

K-Gould 2018

P-O'Donnell 2018

DT-Ferguson 2018

DT-Sutton 2018

DT-Ratliff 2016

DT-Dunn 2017

DE-Houston 2020

DE-Allen 2018

DE-Young 2017

DE-Washington 2017

DE-Bass 2016

LB-Bostic 2017

LB-Jones 2017

LB-McClellin 2016

LB-Greene 2017

LB-Lattimore 2017

CB-Fuller 2018

CB-Jennings 2018

CB-Louis-Jean 2017

CB-Mitchell 2017

S-Mundy 2016

S-Vereen 2018

Biggest needs:2-S, CB, MLB, TE, C, RB

For me ya gotta throw OT into that needs category as well.

I may be alone on this but I STILL think Jay can be a well above average QB with a good OL in front of him. The OL gave up 41 sacks this year, that's just 3 less than the 2012 Bears... Think about that for a second, almost no one has talked about how bad the OL has been. Back in 2012 people were calling for a whole new line. This years team, in a scheme that calls for the qb to get rid of the ball quick mind you, had just 3 less.

Getting Slaus back will be huge but Mills should be hanging out with me and my pal JWebb at a bar on Sundays. Really hope they bring in a guy good enough to play LT so they can move Jermon to RT, he hasn't been any good either. I've said it before, I wouldn't hate to see one drafted in the 1st. Look at the Cowboys, they had a historically bad D and yet still went with Zach Martin in the first.

I may be alone on this but I STILL think Jay can be a well above average QB with a good OL in front of him. The OL gave up 41 sacks this year, that's just 3 less than the 2012 Bears... Think about that for a second, almost no one has talked about how bad the OL has been. Back in 2012 people were calling for a whole new line. This years team, in a scheme that calls for the qb to get rid of the ball quick mind you, had just 3 less.

Getting Slaus back will be huge but Mills should be hanging out with me and my pal JWebb at a bar on Sundays. Really hope they bring in a guy good enough to play LT so they can move Jermon to RT, he hasn't been any good either. I've said it before, I wouldn't hate to see one drafted in the 1st. Look at the Cowboys, they had a historically bad D and yet still went with Zach Martin in the first.

The good teams have good OL s. One of the main reasons the offense sputtered was the OL was not very good this year. They need to bring back De La Peunte, and add another OT. Ola played LT this year, I would consider him at RT, Mills did not improve.

Drafting a LT may be the best option for us at #7. I don't see Cutler going anywhere but they might find a trade partner. With, or without, Cutler the best path for offensive success on this team is improving the running game. Drafting a top LT would go a long way toward doing just that.

The Bears have a really good line and depth. With the absence of Kromer, their play may change. This year they were just severely injured. The Bears had to start 9 different line ups in 16 games this year.

The only thing really missing is a RT. That can be addressed a number of ways. Long could slide out, draft a RT later in the draft, trust the guys on the roster will develop more, or free agency.

Bushrod isn't perfect but he's pretty darn good. Slauson was a great pick up last year, but was lost early in the season. DLP and Garza have center covered. Long is a 2 time Pro Bowler.

Obviously, I think the Bears need a QB. If that's not available, then they need to find a special player on defense. The Bears defensive tackles are pretty deep, so any other position. I don't want to see the Bears trade down. The D needs a game changer, and the top talent at a few D positions will be there at 7.

You're not alone. I've said it for nearly a decade. The.Bears.Need.OL. You just can't fix that kind of historical deficiency in one year.

The Bears have a really good line and depth. With the absence of Kromer, their play may change. This year they were just severely injured. The Bears had to start 9 different line ups in 16 games this year. The only thing really missing is a RT. That can be addressed a number of ways. Long could slide out, draft a RT later in the draft, trust the guys on the roster will develop more, or free agency. Bushrod isn't perfect but he's pretty darn good. Slauson was a great pick up last year, but was lost early in the season. DLP and Garza have center covered. Long is a 2 time Pro Bowler. Obviously, I think the Bears need a QB. If that's not available, then they need to find a special player on defense. The Bears defensive tackles are pretty deep, so any other position. I don't want to see the Bears trade down. The D needs a game changer, and the top talent at a few D positions will be there at 7.

I think with the depth at oline and players developing (Groy, Ola, Leno) we can select later round guys again in this draft. Kromers philosophy of inside out protection will be gone, so moving Long to LT/RT is a possibility. I would like to find a RD4/RD6 Center, I am not as sold on Grasu/Reece as draft boards have them 2nd or early 3rd RD prospects. Improving the defense though the draft is one option, which can go like this.

RD1- Landon Collins S

RD2- Benardrick McKinney ILB

RD3-Durrell Eskridge/Anthony Harris FS

RD4- Eric Murray CB

RD6-Brandon Vitabale C/ Mike Matthews C

Or rebuild the defense through FA, and improve the offense like:

1-Toddy Gurley/Melvin Gordon RB

2-La'el Collins/Tyrus Thompson/TJ Cummings RT

3- Reece Dismukes C

4-Ben Heeney LB

6-S Issaiah Johnson S

7-CB Wayne Lyons CB

Collins obviously makes the most sense but there has been a ton of Bama secondary players that have busted lately so he scares me a bit. HaHa has been average, Mark Barron was a huge bust, and there are a few more corners that have sucked. He's probably who they take if he's there but I kinda hope he isn't. I also have liked what I read about Holliman and Tartt in the 2nd round.

My favorite defensive player in this draft is Shaq Thompson. Right now he's projected down around the middle of the first but I really think he's gonna be a riser and will be a legit top 10 pick.

I've obviously supported going with one of the OTs if we go defense I'm hoping for Shaq.

Everything changes if we happen to run a 3-4 which I doubt. I would love to get one of the freak OLBs at the top of the draft.