First 4 GM candidates per rapaport

'TD'

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/549938413475229698

Ian RapoportVerified account

‏@RapSheet

Four interview targets for #Bears GM opening: Chris Ballard (KC), Mark Ross (NYG), Lake Dawson (TEN), Vince Newsome (BAL)

Is Vince Newsome related to Ozzie?

I like the way the Ravens have been run. They are always in it. Ray Rice goes down, Justin Forsett comes in and they dont miss a beat.

Hiring Ross after passing on him 3 years ago would be funny.

I like the way the Ravens have been run. They are always in it. Ray Rice goes down, Justin Forsett comes in and they dont miss a beat.

No relation. He's been with their team since they became the Ravens in some form. He played for Accorsi with the Browns. He's only the director of pro personnel now.

No Tom Gamble or Eric DeCosta? Typical Bears..

What a rotten list. I fear this level of badness will continue for another half decade.

Newsome is interesting, but is involved with pro personnel. The Bears need someone who can draft. Ballard is a 10 year Angelo disciple, enough said. Marc Ross has been turned down for over 8 of the jobs open the last 3 years. Dawson is a pro scout on a bad team.

The Bears are in a bad position, mainly due to the bad drafting. Ballard had a hand in those drafts.

The general league wide consensus on Ballard is he is probably the top realistic GM candidate. Haven't heard a national pundit who doesn't rave about him. Now we'll leave everything up to Ernie but I don't care if he worked for the bears or not (and I also am not going to handcuff a guy just because he worked for the Bears). The top candidates is the Ravens asst gm, however, he turned us down a couple years ago and I presume he'd do the same now.

PS: Ballard wasn't involved in the Bears drafts, he was more a pro scout with the Bears IIRC.

Ballard or DeCosta please.

Emery came in after JA and kept most if not all of the scouting department and football operations staff from the JA regime. Wouldnt Ballard do the same?

We want change, doesnt this lead to the same old same old? We need new eyes on players, new ideas, new hungry guys wanting to make a name for themselves.

When new GM positions open up around the league do you ever hear of and of the Bears staff being mentioned for these positions???? I cant recall.

The idea of a new Head of Football operations or GM would be to bring in some new talent to the staff. GB and Baltimore have guys constantly being interviewed or mentioned for new GM openings.

These teams are doing it right. For change to happen there needs to a complete change in how the Bears do it.

Maybe Ballard would change things up, it does worry me that he would keep a lot of the staff that is already in place.

That's kind of how I feel. Hoping to catch some magic. I love the way the Ravens have been run. Their draft last year was epic.

The general league wide consensus on Ballard is he is probably the top realistic GM candidate. Haven't heard a national pundit who doesn't rave about him. Now we'll leave everything up to Ernie but I don't care if he worked for the bears or not (and I also am not going to handcuff a guy just because he worked for the Bears). The top candidates is the Ravens asst gm, however, he turned us down a couple years ago and I presume he'd do the same now.

PS: Ballard wasn't involved in the Bears drafts, he was more a pro scout with the Bears IIRC.

His profile on the Chiefs website claims having a hand in people like Tommy Harris, Knox and Vasher. He was an area scout here under Angelo. When Emery came, he was promoted to pro personnel scouting in 2012.

Ya I'm with dabears here, everything I read about Ballard is positive . Also wouldn't you say the Bears drafted defensive talent fairly well in the Angelo era? What does this team need the most? Defensive talent

Why is there no defensive talent now?

No, I wouldn't say there was good defensive drafting during the Angelo era. There is not defensive talent left on the Bears now drafted in the Angelo era other than Paea. His era was just 3 years ago.

Why is there no defensive talent now?

No, I wouldn't say there was good defensive drafting during the Angelo era. There is not defensive talent left on the Bears now drafted in the Angelo era other than Paea. His era was just 3 years ago.

I'd say because the talent was already there so they didn't spend high picks on the d.

All I know is I really have no clue how to judge who would be a good GM, but all the guys who get paid to do so say Ballard is the top guy after DeCosta who probably isn't leaving Baltimore. He already turned us down last time, he seems like a pipe dream.

Below are the 1-4th round defensive picks from Angelo's last 5 years. A couple of those firsts were gone because of the Cutler trade and a second missing from the Gaines Adams trade and so on.

2nd Paea

3rd Conte

3rd Major Wright

4th Corey Wootten

3rd Jarron Gilbert

4th Henry Melton

4th DJ Moore

3rd Marcus Harrison

4th Craig Steltz

2nd Dan Bauzin

3rd Michael Okwo

Edit: Melton and Wootten are starter quality, but nothing special. Those 5 years should be the veteran strength of our team right now.