First 4 GM candidates per rapaport

'TD'

Why would the Bears be out of the running with Decosta because of Ted Phillips?

Is it because he wants to be the head guy or that he doesnt want to work with Ted?

If the Bears could get Decosta by demoting Ted then I say do it right now.

Funny they are talking about this right now on the score........

They mentioned there are a lot of people that would not come here because of Ted and a lot of guys have left because of Ted. (this is talking heads media info)

Mentioned that Decosta is probably the best guy suited for this position and that its sad that the Bears are out of the running because of Ted.

Why would the Bears be out of the running with Decosta because of Ted Phillips?

Is it because he wants to be the head guy or that he doesnt want to work with Ted?

If the Bears could get Decosta by demoting Ted then I say do it right now.

Doesn't want to deal with his incompetency and Bears weirdness.

DeCosta would only come to a team with a promotion to president. He's already the GM in waiting in Baltimore so you are going to have to give him a bigger job and more money to lure him away.

Below are the 1-4th round defensive picks from Angelo's last 5 years. A couple of those firsts were gone because of the Cutler trade and a second missing from the Gaines Adams trade and so on.

2nd Paea

3rd Conte= fail

3rd Major Wright= ok

4th Corey Wootten= ok

3rd Jarron Gilbert= epic fail

4th Henry Melton= great pic

4th DJ Moore= ok

3rd Marcus Harrison= who is this agaiin

4th Craig Steltz= good sp teams player

2nd Dan Bauzin= epic fail

3rd Michael Okwo = never heard from him

Edit: Melton and Wootten are starter quality, but nothing special. Those 5 years should be the veteran strength of our team right now.

Maybe my comments were off base, but regardless, there's gotta be a reason why Ballard is being talked about as one of the top gm candidates out there. This isn't some loyalty type thing.

To me unless you have insider knowledge into NFL circles, its really hard to judge these guys because we have no clue how much involvement they had with the real gm...Ballard must have shown something to be such a hot topic around the league

Maybe my comments were off base, but regardless, there's gotta be a reason why Ballard is being talked about as one of the top gm candidates out there. This isn't some loyalty type thing.

To me unless you have insider knowledge into NFL circles, its really hard to judge these guys because we have no clue how much involvement they had with the real gm...Ballard must have shown something to be such a hot topic around the league

You are right about not knowing really what each guy has really done. Ballard may be a good choice.

Here is my view on it. The Bears cant afford to screw this up. There is one name Eric Decosta that is already slated to be the next GM of the Baltimore ravens once Ozzie retires.

He is a flat out, no doubt about it great hire. I have not heard one person say they wouldn't love this hire. Everyone wants him. This is the guy the Bears should be going after, they should be doing WHATEVER it takes.

You are right about not knowing really what each guy has really done. Ballard may be a good choice.

Here is my view on it. The Bears cant afford to screw this up. There is one name Eric Decosta that is already slated to be the next GM of the Baltimore ravens once Ozzie retires.

He is a flat out, no doubt about it great hire. I have not heard one person say they wouldn't love this hire. Everyone wants him. This is the guy the Bears should be going after, they should be doing WHATEVER it takes.

My understanding is Decosta has turned down the position on several teams to this point. I do not believe he is leaving Baltimore.

Peace :dabears

I just posted the players drafted for reference, as I hate the idea of Ballard.

I just want the best for the Bears. The thought of a guy that worked for the 2 biggest problems of the Bears in the last 15 years just gives me sick.

I just posted the players drafted for reference, as I hate the idea of Ballard.

I just want the best for the Bears. The thought of a guy that worked for the 2 biggest problems of the Bears in the last 15 years just gives me sick.

You a Sox fan? A lot of people disliked KW but they now love Rick Hahn who worked under KW for years. It's just impossible for me to know how much involvement he had, or know what his credentials really are. Again there's gotta be something about this guy

Below are the 1-4th round defensive picks from Angelo's last 5 years. A couple of those firsts were gone because of the Cutler trade and a second missing from the Gaines Adams trade and so on. 2011 2nd Paea 3rd Conte 2010 3rd Major Wright 4th Corey Wootten 2009 3rd Jarron Gilbert 4th Henry Melton 4th DJ Moore 2008 3rd Marcus Harrison 4th Craig Steltz 2007 2nd Dan Bauzin 3rd Michael Okwo Edit: Melton and Wootten are starter quality, but nothing special. Those 5 years should be the veteran strength of our team right now.

This time frame you are using is when Lovie Smith was awarded his contract extension and power of player personal. Just like he has now in Tampa. Here is an article from the Chicago Tribune:

"The Bears missed the playoffs in five of Smith's final six seasons after a post-Super Bowl power play when Smith began exerting the type of influence the Bucs just granted him. It was February 2007 when Smith, armed with a new contract, proclaimed "trust me'' after firing defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. A month later, Smith pushed to acquire safety Adam Archuleta. Later, he endorsed Devin Hester as a No. 1 wide receiver. Lest we forget linebacker Jamar Williams, who supposedly made Lance Briggs expendable."

Below are the 1-4th round defensive picks from Angelo's last 5 years. A couple of those firsts were gone because of the Cutler trade and a second missing from the Gaines Adams trade and so on.

2nd Paea

3rd Conte

3rd Major Wright

4th Corey Wootten

3rd Jarron Gilbert

4th Henry Melton

4th DJ Moore

3rd Marcus Harrison

4th Craig Steltz

2nd Dan Bauzin

3rd Michael Okwo

Edit: Melton and Wootten are starter quality, but nothing special. Those 5 years should be the veteran strength of our team right now.

Those picks are sickening to look at. Especially the 2nd and 3rd rounders.

For the GM pick, I hope it is done soon too because this is the time where non playoff teams get the edge in off season prep. We are losing valuable time.

Brandon Beane

Current position: Panthers interim general manager.

Former NFL roles: Panthers director of football operations (2008-12), Panthers football operations manager (2002-07), Panthers football operations assistant (1999-2001).

Comment: Beane was former general manager Marty Hurney’s top aide for five years, overseeing the equipment, video and team operations, and coordinating training camp and team travel. He joined the Panthers in 1999 with a degree from UNC Wilmington. Though he doesn’t have the scouting backgrounds of the other candidates, Beane has impressed Rivera with his organization and leadership skills.

Lake Dawson

Current position: Tennessee Titans vice president of player personnel.

Former NFL roles: Titans vice president of football operations (2011), Titans pro scouting director (2007-10), Seattle assistant director of pro personnel (2005-06), Seattle pro personnel assistant (2001-04).

Comment: Dawson interviewed for the St. Louis Rams’ general manager vacancy last year before Les Snead was hired. He has been a pro scout throughout his career, and was with Seattle in 2005 when the Seahawks beat Carolina to advance to the Super Bowl. Dawson is a former Notre Dame wideout who played six NFL seasons.

Dave Gettleman

Current position: New York Giants senior pro personnel analyst.

Former NFL roles: Giants pro personnel director (1999-2011), Broncos scout (1994-98), regional scout for BLESTO scouting service (1992-93), Bills area scout (1987-92).

Comment: Gettleman has 25 years of NFL experience, by far the most among the Panthers’ finalists. He worked closely in New York with Accorsi. Gettleman has been a part of six Super Bowl teams, including three that won rings – the 2007 and ’11 Giants and the 1997 Broncos.

George Paton

Current position: Minnesota Vikings assistant general manager.

Former NFL roles: Miami pro personnel director 2001-06, Chicago pro personnel director (2000), Chicago college and pro scout (1997-99).

Comment: The Vikings gave Paton (pronounced PAY-ton) a promotion last year when it appeared he was going to land the Rams’ general manager job. He is close with Vikings general manager Rick Spielman, with the two also having worked together in Chicago and Miami. Paton, a defensive back at UCLA, played professionally in Italy and Austria.

Jim Popp

Current position: Montreal Alouettes vice president, general manager, director of football operations and player personnel.

Former NFL roles: None.

Comment: Popp has carved out a long and successful CFL career. Over the past 19 years, all of his teams have made the playoffs, with four winning Grey Cup titles. Popp had college coaching stops at Michigan State, North Carolina and The Citadel, and was an assistant for the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks of the World League under Roman Gabriel in 1991. He and his family live in Mooresville.

Marc Ross

Current position: New York Giants director of college scouting.

Former NFL roles: Buffalo Bills national college scout (2004-07), Eagles college scouting director (2000-03), Eagles eastern regional scout (1997-2000).

Comment: Ross is one of the hottest general manager candidates, interviewing with four of the seven teams that have openings. He has already talked to San Diego, Jacksonville and the Jets. He was in Philadelphia when Rivera was an Eagles assistant. Ross has a good reputation as a talent evaluator, running the drafts that brought Kenny Phillips, Hakeem Nicks and Jason Pierre-Paul to the Giants.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/01/08/259...hers.html?rh=1#

Those were the canidates for the Panthers Accorsi brought in, including a guy from the Montreal Alouettes.

His profile on the Chiefs website claims having a hand in people like Tommy Harris, Knox and Vasher. He was an area scout here under Angelo. When Emery came, he was promoted to pro personnel scouting in 2012.

Your right, he had done both, but he had a heck of a lot of successes. His big misses were Mark Bradley and Cedric Benson. You list a lot of other guys but not knowing the details, you don't know what Ballard's view was on those guys. You also are going to have misses and Ballard in general had a pretty good track record and has major support. Outside of DeCosta, who is likely not leaving Baltimore, Ballard is arguably the next top candidate in the league.

I agree and I would hope if that was whom everyone thought was the right guy and it took making a president, they would do exactly that. To be frank, they already said if they needed to change that structure for the right person, they would be open to it.

I agree and I would hope if that was whom everyone thought was the right guy and it took making a president, they would do exactly that. To be frank, they already said if they needed to change that structure for the right person, they would be open to it.

They did say they would be open to it. So why is Decosta's name not on the list? Connor said he doesnt think Decosta is every leaving Bal.

So if they are open to it I hope the list of potentials grow to a bigger and better list then what is being reported.