Emery's ineptitude

adam

I know this has been discussed before, but may be news to some:

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/12/30/7467853...li-bruce-arians

Basically Marinelli was in charge of interviewing new HCs, Arians was first choice, Bevell 2nd, and Trestman a distant 3rd. Emery went against Rod's recommendation and the rest is history.

Basically Marinelli was in charge of interviewing new HCs, Arians was first choice, Bevell 2nd, and Trestman a distant 3rd. Emery went against Rod's recommendation and the rest is history.

Talking about it on the score now. Marinelli said to go with Bruce........Emery really screwed this up.

Its crazy that the Bears hired a GM that was in over his head and then that same GM hired a HC who was in over his head.

Ted Phillips signed off on both of these deals. Thats the result you get when the President ceo is an accountant.

What a clusterfxck! Thankfully Emery is gone.

Peace :dabears

I don't think he was in charge of the process, however, they clearly valued his opinion and its too bad no one listened to him. Marinelli has been around the league a long time and is one of the most respected, non head coaches in the business.

something doesn't sound right.

1. rod baby is doing the interviews for emery? just what is going on with emery? why is our DC doing HC interviews? if he wasn't under contract why was he interviewing anyone. if he was under contract why wasn't he our DC in the first place then?

2. according to the media, one reason ariens didn't come to chicago was because of marinelli being forced on him as DC. now we are led to believe that marinelli was in charge of interviewing ariens and it was his first choice?

3. then emery decides on another coach and we let marinelli walk if he was under contract and hire a proven loser? what the hell???

if this is the case teddy boy AND emery should have been beaten with a lead pipe wrapped in barb wire.

===========

you know what? this is the EXACT reason we need a president of football operations. we are the insane leading the blind.

something doesn't sound right.

1. rod baby is doing the interviews for emery? just what is going on with emery? why is our DC doing HC interviews? if he wasn't under contract why was he interviewing anyone. if he was under contract why wasn't he our DC in the first place then?

2. according to the media, one reason ariens didn't come to chicago was because of marinelli being forced on him as DC. now we are led to believe that marinelli was in charge of interviewing ariens and it was his first choice?

3. then emery decides on another coach and we let marinelli walk if he was under contract and hire a proven loser? what the hell???

if this is the case teddy boy AND emery should have been beaten with a lead pipe wrapped in barb wire.

===========

you know what? this is the EXACT reason we need a president of football operations. we are the insane leading the blind.

I have a hard time believing this report saying Marinelli interviewed HC candidates.

A new GM delegates this responsibility to a DC?

I just do not buy into this at all. Makes no sense what so ever.

Emery may have asked Marinelli for his feedback / opinion on candidates that Emery interviewed.

(I think Marinelli left simply because he was pissed that his good friend, Lovie, was fired.)

I cannot believe Emery turned over the interview process to Marinelli.

Remember how it was reported that Emery held in depth interviews with all candidates for the HC position asking them for a detailed plan as to what they would do to improve the team if hired? When they held the presser announcing the hiring of the new HC Emery gushed over how well prepared Tressman was when HE interviewed him.

Trestman is all about practice!

Remember how it was reported that Emery held in depth interviews with all candidates for the HC position asking them for a detailed plan as to what they would do to improve the team if hired? When they held the presser announcing the hiring of the new HC Emery gushed over how well prepared Tressman was when HE interviewed him.

I have a hard time believing this report saying Marinelli interviewed HC candidates.

Emery may have asked Marinelli for his feedback / opinion on candidates that Emery interviewed.

(I think Marinelli left simply because he was pissed that his good friend, Lovie, was fired.)

This is from the Mullin article, it clearly states that Emery had Marinelli interview the three finalists:

But back in mid-January 2013, as part of their final selection process for a head coach to replace Smith, Emery and the organization had Marinelli interview the three finalists for the head-coaching job.

Marinelli was asked to rank the three. He did. Arians was his runaway first choice; Bevell was the second; Trestman was a distant third.

Emery selected Trestman.

When he learned of the decision, Marinelli abruptly angrily resigned and left Halas Hall for Dallas and a de facto demotion to defensive line coach.

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/bears-make...e-gm-phil-emery

This is from the Mullin article, it clearly states that Emery had Marinelli interview the three finalists:

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/bears-make...e-gm-phil-emery

It is really simple. Emery interviewed everyone but he also had Marinelli take part in the process. He never delegated the decision to Marinelli, just had other people involved. Haven't you guys ever interviewed at a company where you are interviewed by your future boss (along with other cohorts, etc, sometimes introduced briefly to staff, etc). Happens all the time.

Some of you are implying that the Bears gave Marinelli full control. That isn't the case. They just involved him in the process and let him meet potential candidates and asked for his opinion. His opinion isn't what mattered and that was clear at the end of the day. Of course we'd have been better off had it mattered.

It is really simple. Emery interviewed everyone but he also had Marinelli take part in the process. He never delegated the decision to Marinelli, just had other people involved. Haven't you guys ever interviewed at a company where you are interviewed by your future boss (along with other cohorts, etc, sometimes introduced briefly to staff, etc). Happens all the time.

Some of you are implying that the Bears gave Marinelli full control. That isn't the case. They just involved him in the process and let him meet potential candidates and asked for his opinion. His opinion isn't what mattered and that was clear at the end of the day. Of course we'd have been better off had it mattered.

Absolutely, but it doesn't sound like Marinelli was just sitting in the room when Emery was doing the interviews. It sounds like Emery narrowed down the final candidates to then have Marinelli provide his input, and then not use it, which is the odd part for me. Why do a final interview using Marinelli only to choose the one candidate that Marinelli didn't like?

Absolutely, but it doesn't sound like Marinelli was just sitting in the room when Emery was doing the interviews. It sounds like Emery narrowed down the final candidates to then have Marinelli provide his input, and then not use it, which is the odd part for me. Why do a final interview using Marinelli only to choose the one candidate that Marinelli didn't like?

Easy...... Emery a dorky nerdy goof ball fell in love with Trestman a dorky, nerdy creepy looking goof ball.

Marrinelli wasn't dorky enough to fit in so he left!

question for you or all... if marinelli is under contract, and i assume that he was, how did he resign his position in chicago and THEN get hired by the cowboys in 2013? how can you hire someone who has a written contract to work for someone else?

i agree, it makes no sense at all. maybe that is why it makes sense for this franchise.

question for you or all... if marinelli is under contract, and i assume that he was, how did he resign his position in chicago and THEN get hired by the cowboys in 2013? how can you hire someone who has a written contract to work for someone else?

i agree, it makes no sense at all. maybe that is why it makes sense for this franchise.

What also is confusing is that other reports had said that the new coaching candidates were informed that Marinelli was part of the deal to have him not on the team anyway is baffling. Seems like not much has changed since the McGinnis non-hiring (who ended up going 17-40 with the Cards, lol).