Bears utilizing NFL's Career Development Advisory Panel

adam

I don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere, but I like the idea of getting as much professional assistance as possible. This looks promising, and since this panel was just formed, we obviously did not use it last time.

Chicago Bears chairman George McCaskey and team president Ted Phillips mentioned on multiple occasions Monday the team’s plans to utilize not only the services of Ernie Accorsi, but also those of the NFL's Career Development Advisory Panel in finding replacements for recently fired general manager Phil Emery and coach Marc Trestman.

“We consider this a tool to assist us in the search process,” McCaskey said. “Several other teams have taken advantage of this resource, and we think it’s a good idea.”

It is, considering the breadth of experience on the eight-man panel, formed in 2013 “to continue to professionalize how the league identifies and develops talent," according to the NFL.

So while the organization hired Accorsi -- a member of the panel -- specifically to help Chicago identify potential candidates as replacements for Trestman and Emery, the Bears can also call upon other members of the panel to assist in the process.

Robert Gulliver, the NFL’s executive vice president of human resources, who is assisting with the initiative formed in 2013, sent teams -- including the Bears -- a book on Monday of general manager and coach prospects recommended by the panel, with each list totaling fewer than 20 candidates. According to the NFL, the books of the panel’s recommendations feature “a detailed 2-3 page bio on each candidate that includes a wide range of statistics and highlights on their body of work, along with information on getting access to video interviews for many of the candidates.”

The books are sent to any team requesting them, and the lists include varying types of candidates, such as coaches who specialize in offense or defense.

"The advisory panel at the league of which Ernie’s a member has done some of that homework," Phillips said of the team's initial list of candidates. "It’s not an exhaustive list or a list that can’t be added to, but we’ll start talking to Ernie and we’ll get to that level of detail really fast because we’ll obviously have a sense of urgency.”

Of the seven coaches hired headed into the 2014 season, six were recommended by the panel.

“Between hiring Ernie and still being able to consult with other members of that panel, we think we’ve got a good amount of football experience that will be really important to us as we make this decision,” Phillips said.

Here is the list of panelists, which consists of four former GMs, one former team president and three former coaches:

- Accorsi

- Charlie Casserly

- Bill Polian

- Ron Wolf

- Carl Peterson

- Tony Dungy

- Dennis Green

- John Madden

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...or-new-gm-coach

That is a TON of football knowledge in that group. I like this a lot. I really can't imagine that Ted and company go against these guys recommendations, so at this point I am happy with the direction the search is going.

but I guess Mel Tucker gets the final interview and decision. :)

Our new HC is more than likely coming from this list. 6 out of the 7 hires last year were recommended by the panel. Surprised not to see Adam Gase.

Here’s the list of current NFL coaches recommended by the panel:

Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin

Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles

Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle

Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio

San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio

Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Ray Horton

Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson

Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak

Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi

Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott

Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak

Green Bay Packers safeties coach Darren Perry

Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn

Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Mike Shula

Kansas City Chiefs defensive coordinator Bob Sutton

Here’s the list of college coaches recommended by the panel:

UCLA head coach Jim Mora Jr.

Stanford head coach David Shaw

Texas head coach Charlie Strong

Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin

I really want a defensive minded guy brought in and what's interesting is a lot of those guys, including Bowled who they plan on interviewing, run a 3-4 D.

I smell the annual 3-4 defense thread coming around the corner.

Just think, we could have had Bowles already. If only they chose Arians over Trestman lol.

3-4 is possible.

DE-Sutton, Houston, Allen,

NT-Ratliff, Ferguson, Paea

OLB-Young, McClellin, Washington, Bass

ILB-Bostic, Jones, Greene

CB-Fuller, Jennings

S-Mundy, Vereen

Just think, we could have had Bowles already. If only they chose Arians over Trestman lol.

3-4 is possible.

DE-Sutton, Houston, Allen,

NT-Ratliff, Ferguson, Paea

OLB-Young, McClellin, Washington, Bass

ILB-Bostic, Jones, Greene

CB-Fuller, Jennings

S-Mundy, Vereen

Not sure Allen is a fit as wither a DE or a OLB, but the rest is possible.

I happen to think Bostic and Jones would be a pretty good duo at ILB. I've always thought that one should be there for coverage (Bostic) and one for run support (Jones).

Young should be solid of the edge, and while I think the 3 other guys you listed can be solid I'd be real tempted to draft one of the freaks at the top of the draft.

Not sure Allen is a fit as wither a DE or a OLB, but the rest is possible.

I happen to think Bostic and Jones would be a pretty good duo at ILB. I've always thought that one should be there for coverage (Bostic) and one for run support (Jones).

Young should be solid of the edge, and while I think the 3 other guys you listed can be solid I'd be real tempted to draft one of the freaks at the top of the draft.

Ray or Beasley would be easy. The draft would make so much sense if we had that D because I do not like our choices in our current scheme. Round 2 good chance to grab a ballhawk FS or If Peters CB or Oakman DE falls.

That's really an unimpressive list. They basically took the OC's and DC's from the good teams this year, and threw in some legacy candidates in Shula and Lombardi. Then they have 2 position coaches for no apparent reason. One has never been higher than a position coach and the other was an unimpressive head coach just a year ago.

I like Autin, and maybe another guy or 2 on the list, but anyone here could come up with a very similar list with very little knowledge. Any of us would likely be some better candidates than some listed.

Ray or Beasley would be easy. The draft would make so much sense if we had that D because I do not like our choices in our current scheme. Round 2 good chance to grab a ballhawk FS or If Peters CB or Oakman DE falls.

I was thinking nearly the exact same thing. If we ran the 3-4 the draft falls into place quite well. As is, however, I don't like the value of the defensive players at our pick. The only one I thought fit was Landon Collins, and he was quite unimpressive in the bowl game, and showed questionable character in my mind. I'd love a draft that started:

1. Vic Beasley

2. Derron Smith

3. Hroniss Grasu

The only possibility left is maaaaaybe Randy Gregory if we're still in a 4-3? But a DE in the first is a bad move in my opinion.