More GM candidates, per Schefter

Bears4Ever_34

@AdamSchefter 45 minutes ago

Bears request permission for GM interviews w/ KC’s Chris Ballard, Tenn's Lake Dawson, Balt's Eric DeCosta, Hou's Brian Gaine, NO's Ryan Pace

Anxiously awaiting word as to whether or not DeCosta will accept an interview. We just need to get the guy in the building. Don't fail us now George!

I have not seen this guy mentioned, any thoughts?

Alonzo Highsmith-Green Bays Senior Personnel Executive

Yes, he is the former RB. Been a college scout for Ron Wolf since 1999. He has been building GBs roster the past 15 years. He knows the Bears pretty well and can share what he has learned from inside GB. Being Ted Thompsons right hand man and understanding players put him up on my list.

To me it seems like this list is getting way too long, what is wrong with a short list of 3 or 4 candidates you feel are the top choices and if you are not sure after interviews with them, bring in more to interview. There are so many names being mentioned it will take forever to complete all the process and they will wind up having to hire a HC before a GM and that would not be a good move IMO.

To me it seems like this list is getting way too long, what is wrong with a short list of 3 or 4 candidates you feel are the top choices and if you are not sure after interviews with them, bring in more to interview. There are so many names being mentioned it will take forever to complete all the process and they will wind up having to hire a HC before a GM and that would not be a good move IMO.

With DeCosta declining (again), it seems like it is down to:

Brian Gaine, Texans director of pro personnel (only 1 year in Houston, so his time in Miami is the only true measurement of success)

Ryan Pace, Saints director of player personnel (has been in the Saints organization since 2001, but team really didn't get better until Payton/Brees arrived)

Lake Dawson, Titans vice president of player personnel (I personally don't like the Titans roster)

Chris Ballard, Chiefs director of player personnel (KC has a pretty good team, but Emery came from same staff)

That list is fine, but the Bears need to be searching from the best teams imo. Teams that have long term success. Sounds like they will hire someone from the above list. I would like to see them add guys from GreenBay, New England, Pittsburgh etc. Nick Careio 39 years old, Director of player personnel could be a Theo Epstein? Well, Ballard interviews today or tomorrow. In 4-5 days, we should have a better idea.

ESPNChicago.com’s Jeff Dickerson reported some of the panel’s recommendations for GM openings, a group that includes Cleveland Browns vice president of player personnel Morrocco Brown, Washington Redskins vice president of football administrator Eric Shaffer, Baltimore Ravens assistant general manager Eric DeCosta, Houston Texans director of college scouting Mike Maccagnan, and Chris Ballard, the Kansas City Chiefs' director of pro personnel.

Looks like DeCosta and Ballard are the only two mentioned previously. Surprised to see another Texan on the list.