SCS Mock Offseason 1.0

scs787

So I have finally gotten around to a computer to do some "Proper research" vs trying to do it on a tablet, and instead of simply doing a mock draft I'm gonna add in a few FA signings as well.

First and foremost give me Devin McCourty. Despite popular belief that Jay's contract is so big it will prohibit them to add to the defense, the Bears will have a pretty good chunk of change to work with. Overall I think the defense does have some talent on it, I just happen to think Tucker is keeping said talent down, so I don't mind spending a big chunk o change on 1 player vs multiple cheaper players.

Then give me Brandon Marshall of the Broncos...No I'm not talking about getting in a time machine or anything, I'm talking Brandon Marshall, the linebacker... I wouldn't be shocked if he's brought back (Same with McCourty really), but the Broncos have a ton of big named free agents that are gonna need to be resigned so they might be forced to let go of Marshall....Marshall is fantastic, and might still be a little underrated in the league so he might come somewhat cheap. I've been harping for David Harris the last few weeks, but reading how bad he is in coverage I decided against him (Though he's a monster against the run and I wouldn't hate to add him). Marshall from all I've read, and seen this year is a very well rounded LB who I think would be a solid MLB.

Those are the big 2, I won't go into lesser backups. Adding those 2 guys will no doubt fix the problems we have in the middle of the field. We can go the draft route to add those guys but I'd prefer some proven guys out there.

Now for my shocker....Trade wide receiver Brandon Marshall to the Chiefs for a 2nd and 5R pick. Yes that's right, I'm open to trading BMarsh. I kinda think BMarsh and Alshon are almost redundant in that they're virtually the same player. I wanna see a speed element added to the WR group.

For the draft I used http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2015/ to mock it up...

1R- Andrus Peat OT Stanford- Yup that's right, I went there. I'm "Coddling Jay Cutler" again. I think Jay will be back, and happen to think with the right protection he can be that guy we all want him to be. Bushrod took a step back, and Mills never step forward, an OT is a need IMO. With a MLB and FS taken in FA an OT is something we can now afford to take....Peat is a big ol dude that's uncharacteristically athletic. He might not force Bushrod to RT right away, but make no mistake, this guy is the LT of the future.

2R- Ronald Darby CB FSU- Yes, I see Marcus Peters and Jalen Collins who this draft has ranked ahead of Darby, but in my book, Darby is the better player and fit. Peters and Collins are bigger, but Darby is faster and has similar ball skills. I went with speed over height here basically and I did that because I think Fuller can shut down the Megatrons and Jordy Nelsons of the worlds, I think the Bears need a shifty, fast corner to shut down the Cobbs and Tates of the world.

2R- Anthony Harris SS UVA- Probably the best all around safety in the draft IMO. He's sound in both coverage and run support. Harris coupled with the veteran McCourty should finally sure up the safety group.

3R- Tyler Lockett WR K State- I said I wanted a speed element added, this guy brings it. Fell in love with the kid watching the K-State UCLA bowl game. Not only does he add to the WR position, but he was also the best returner in college as well. Kid could be our Golden Tate.

4R- Owamagbe Odighizuwa DE UCLA- Another kid I was impressed with in the Alamo Bowl. Adds depth to a meh DE position. (yes I had to copy and paste that name)

5R- Sean Mannion QB Oregon State- Lacks mobility but can give you everything else you want in a QB. Again I think Cutler stays at least another year so I wait and take a guy later in the draft. If neither he nor Fales pans out before it's time to say bye to Jay, thats when I go QB in the first.

6R- Josh Shaw CB USC- Can never have enough quality corners. Shaw is currently looked at so low down in the draft because well, he's an idiot off the field. On the field however he would be a steal in the 6th. Can play CB or either safety position

7R- James Castleman DT OK State-Sticking with what they gave us here despite DT not really being a need. I mean after watching what he did in the Cactus Bowl it's hard not to like him... Check this big boy out if you didn't already see the game or all the highlights http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-sat...-072708695.html ..... At the very least maybe this guy can come in and play the role Eben Britton played, while also adding some trickery into it by occasionally throwing or handing him the ball.

Bash away on the BMarsh trade and waiting till the 5th for a QB.

I'd live with a trade of BMarshall if we go that route simply because I will defer to the new GM but I prefer not to do that. He's still a stud WR and we are going to have average to good Qb play, or worse if Cutler leaves, and having big quality WRs especially for the red zone situations is preferred. That should not stop us from adding more speed to the group and we will also have Marquess Wilson in the mix next year.

I'm perfectly happy going LT in Rd 1. I don't see how that's coddling to Cutler, it's making our team better. Peat is a big man, the type who moves people backwards at will but he's got the quickness in his feet to handle speed off the edge. He also plays with the attitude I love to see on the Oline. Line him up next to Slausson right now and put Long/Bushrod on the right and we'll be running when we get off the bus. That's exactly what we need to do while we try to figure out this QB situation over the next few seasons.

Honestly? You lost me when you traded Brandon Marshall (WR) and picked up Brandon Marshall (LB). I dislike that move a lot. And if you plan on keeping/coddling Cutler, that's definitely not a good move.

If the reports coming out of the lockeroom are true in regards to Marshall, than I have zero problem moving him. I think you need to set the right tone with all these new people and a Marshall move could be a good way to do it (and also demonstrate the...hey, we are in control message that needs to be sent).

And I don't think anyone should be coddling Cutler. At this point, we need to hope he has learned a valuable lesson from his benching and he needs to know he needs to earn his job just like everyone and anyone else.