Bears to Meet W/Teryl Austin

DABEARSDABOMB

The new head coach is offensive and the offense regressed, while the defense improved. You'd think if it was the head coach motivating people, the offense would have grown or stayed as good as before.

Swartz was an idiot, the Lions were undisciplined and could never win the close games.

How many games did the Lions barely win in the last seconds of games this past year???I can remember 3 or 4 maybe 5 last second field goals or TD's to win games this season. Under Swartz they rarely ever won those games.

If you think the HC had zero impact on the entire team including the Defense I will have to disagree with you. Im not saying Austin is not a good coach, I just want a more proven track record for our HC.

Mike Tomlin has been a pretty good HC and has taken a very similar route to Austin. They were both defensive back coaches, with one year as a DC before being considered for a HC gig. He's not my top option, but I'd be very open to him being the HC if he impresses.

I think of the HC prospects mentioned I am most interested in the DC from Seattle.

Arizona bombed on D against Carolina in the playoffs, scares me a bit

Austin, I guess because he is with Detroit, would be a distant 3rd.

Maronne (sp) is completely off my Radar, do not like the reports I am hearing

I like Shanny but fear a power struggle with the GM if he comes in and has any success so not a long term answer IMO

I think of the HC prospects mentioned I am most interested in the DC from Seattle.

I like Shanny but fear a power struggle with the GM if he comes in and has any success so not a long term answer IMO

Del Rio was who I was wanting 1st, but I don't see it happening. Austin is hovering around my 3rd also. Austin was the first interview after Pace's hiring, so I think he is definitely in the running.

Same here Pix.

I assume with Pace announcing there'll be more candidates than were originally scheduled that he's going to bring in several he's got in mind. If they hire someone tomorrow it'll be a sign to me that they forced someone on Pace.

Same here Pix.

I assume with Pace announcing there'll be more candidates than were originally scheduled that he's going to bring in several he's got in mind. If they hire someone tomorrow it'll be a sign to me that they forced someone on Pace.

He also did not rule out college candidates, which was interesting.

I do not see a power struggle, when Pace has all say in football decisions. Shanny can walk if he doesn't like it.

To me I would rank order the hot Coordinator candidates:

1. Bowles (proven track record on several teams)

2. Quinn (defense got even better with him vs Bradley)

3. Austin (only one year, hard to tell if it was his influence or partially Caldwell's)

4. Gase (Peyton effect, who knows how good this guy is, could be another McDaniels)

5. All others

I haven't read up on every canidate yet so I'm wondering, why do you want him more than others?

As a position coach, he has been to the super bowl with 3 teams, won 1 I think. He's worked with some great college and NFL coaches. He took basically the same Lions defense from last year from 16th in yards to 2nd in his one year there. They were 15th in points last year and 3rd this year.

It seems to me, his players clearly want to play for him. He has only had the one year as DC, but so did Mike Tomlin. I think he's the kind of guy that players will love, like they did with Lovie Smith. That's one of the most important things to me. He should be able to command a room, and get the best out of his players.

To me I would rank order the hot Coordinator candidates:

1. Bowles (proven track record on several teams)

2. Quinn (defense got even better with him vs Bradley)

3. Austin (only one year, hard to tell if it was his influence or partially Caldwell's)

4. Gase (Peyton effect, who knows how good this guy is, could be another McDaniels)

5. All others

I really don't like Quinn or Gase. Gase, I don't even understand why he is getting interviews. I think most of Quinn's success is from Pete Carroll. Carroll's roots came from defense, and I think Quinn may be similar to Billechick's assistants. Bowles has been around the league a little while. He may be good, or there may be reasons he hasn't got a HC gig yet. I dunno, I just like the idea of getting in early with Austin. It just a feeling I guess, that he could be great.