This is what Im afraid of

Chitownhustla

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...108-column.html

Quote from the article:

Then, in what one source described as McCaskey's quest to break the cycle, Pace emerged after an impressive interview that dazzled McCaskey and President Ted Phillips. It probably helped Pace's cause that Ballard challenged the Bears hierarchy during his meeting by wanting to limit Phillips' involvement, according to another source. We will likely never know how much Ballard's boldness intimidated the Bears or Pace's panache simply enthralled them. But the tide turned.

When I say I want the new guy to have total control I don't mean just in player personnel decisions.

Total Control

1. Coaching staff

2. Player draft and FA signing

3. Front office Staff Structure

4. Personnel of Front office

I am all good with this hire, if he gets control of all 4 aspects. One part of the whole thing I never thought of, Ballard knew where the Bears were lacking from his time here.

OK, so Im listening to the score right now

Mannelly heard from his sources that Pace had a list of what control he wanted and that he got it. So that calms some of my fears.

Well, all I know is giving control to someone who sucks at his job is a bad thing. So, as long as he doesn't suck, we'll be OK. Let's just hope they picked the right guy this time. I'm tired of watching this team swirl the drain.

Well, all I know is giving control to someone who sucks at his job is a bad thing. So, as long as he doesn't suck, we'll be OK. Let's just hope they picked the right guy this time. I'm tired of watching this team swirl the drain.

You are right, no doubt. Emery did do some good things, he biggest mistakes were the Cutler contract and hiring the wrong HC. How much the coaching staff affected Cutler can not be determined. Hopefully he hires a better coach than Trestman.

I was worried about a lot of those articles, however, Hub Arkush published a great read last night / this morning which discusses why Pace was the right hire and that he was brought in to tear things down and rebuild this organization and that everything we are hearing about the Bears being afraid to do that is just spin from the other candidates agents, etc., as they work on damage control for when they interview for future GM jobs. Given Hub's typical willingness to bash the organization, I'm going to side with him when he says George did things right.

http://chicagofootball.com/2015/01/09/hub-...aq1xrfl/?page=1

Patrick Mannelly is also indicating that his sources indicate that Pace talked about control and laid out what control he wanted and he got all of it. I guess the real answer will be after the draft when we start to see new football people brought into his structure cause you have to imagine turnover at halas hall is going to be high after the draft (when the contracts of the scouts are up and when you typically can make changes). I think its nearly impossible to make changes now, given that pretty much everyone in the biz is under contract.

Patrick Mannelly is also indicating that his sources indicate that Pace talked about control and laid out what control he wanted and he got all of it. I guess the real answer will be after the draft when we start to see new football people brought into his structure cause you have to imagine turnover at halas hall is going to be high after the draft (when the contracts of the scouts are up and when you typically can make changes). I think its nearly impossible to make changes now, given that pretty much everyone in the biz is under contract.

Hopefully Pace has his scouting reports from New Orleans in his briefcase.

I was worried about a lot of those articles, however, Hub Arkush published a great read last night / this morning which discusses why Pace was the right hire and that he was brought in to tear things down and rebuild this organization and that everything we are hearing about the Bears being afraid to do that is just spin from the other candidates agents, etc., as they work on damage control for when they interview for future GM jobs. Given Hub's typical willingness to bash the organization, I'm going to side with him when he says George did things right.

http://chicagofootball.com/2015/01/09/hub-...aq1xrfl/?page=1

Damn, Hub with a positive opinion on the Bears? Unheard of, LOL.

Good read, thanks for the link.

I don't think our scouting department is all bad. I think that was one of Emery's strengths and obviously fit his background. Emery did a big overhaul and expansion of our scouting group after his first draft (with Lovie still having some personnel power) and afterward our drafts and UDFAs got much better. I expect some changes but i don't think we need to just push everybody out the door. If Pace does a clean sweep because of a need to change the culture then ok but I there is talent among our scouts. The Pro Personnel side deserves more scrutiny IMO.

I haven't said it yet but I'm not ecstatic about Pace. I don't have any respect for New Orleans after bounty gate and that includes guys like Drew Brees who defended everyone for being good guys, Sean Payton who ignored what he knew was happening game after game, and the GM Loomis who ignored the situation after being warned sternly by the NFL. I hope our new GM was the diamond in the rough in that organization. Clearly Pace was not involved in any of that stuff, but Loomis is not exactly the first GM I'd want Pace to learn from. Add in that Sean Payton and Loomis are looking like Lovie in reverse….an organization that can run a good offense (with a HoF QB) but can't ever fix the defense. Lovie did ok with a Hall of Fame MLB on defense and I think would have won one Superbowl if Tommie Harris were on the field.

I don't think our scouting department is all bad. I think that was one of Emery's strengths and obviously fit his background. Emery did a big overhaul and expansion of our scouting group after his first draft (with Lovie still having some personnel power) and afterward our drafts and UDFAs got much better. I expect some changes but i don't think we need to just push everybody out the door. If Pace does a clean sweep because of a need to change the culture then ok but I there is talent among our scouts. The Pro Personnel side deserves more scrutiny IMO.

I haven't said it yet but I'm not ecstatic about Pace. I don't have any respect for New Orleans after bounty gate and that includes guys like Drew Brees who defended everyone for being good guys, Sean Payton who ignored what he knew was happening game after game, and the GM Loomis who ignored the situation after being warned sternly by the NFL. I hope our new GM was the diamond in the rough in that organization. Clearly Pace was not involved in any of that stuff, but Loomis is not exactly the first GM I'd want Pace to learn from. Add in that Sean Payton and Loomis are looking like Lovie in reverse….an organization that can run a good offense (with a HoF QB) but can't ever fix the defense. Lovie did ok with a Hall of Fame MLB on defense and I think would have won one Superbowl if Tommie Harris were on the field.

Their are a lot of things about the Saints not to like. From their cap management (it is awful) to their recent free agent moves, to their overall roster over their recent run. They have largely benefited from having a tremendous coach and an exceptional QB and I've really never looked at them and said, wow, that is a team loaded with talent. It was a team that was clearly better than Bears and that was able to win a superbowl (so touche).

Damn, Hub with a positive opinion on the Bears? Unheard of, LOL.

Good read, thanks for the link.

Who'da thunk Hub would be a source of positivity, but to be fair there has been much to criticize in the past. I couldn't read the article linked here, but listening to him last night, he made a lot of good points and reiterated things that would be in the column. Particularly we weren't in the interview the only people that know what was said are Ryan, George, Ernie, and Ted. And it is quite possible the "source" stating that Ballard wasn't hired cause he was critical of the Bears and Ted specifically, because they didn't want to hear that. And then further conclude that Pace must have agreed to be a yes man, puppet, or whatever as the reason he got the job.

...and Mike Brown. He was the true unsung leader of that amazing defense. Without him, we were never as good.