Re making the roster

Stinger226

I have mentioned my opinion on players on other posts, but might as well put it all in one spot.

offense: QB Cutler, he is who he is, a 15-20 rated QB prone to TOs. I think the only reason he will be around is because there is not much in options.

Fales, anybody here think he is a future star? I dont

RB-Carey, he may have some valve going forward, but I dont think he will ever be a star.

Forte is a 30 year old star, but anybody think he will still be playing at a high lever 3 years from now?

TE- Bennett is an above average player ready to turn 29, we have nothing behind him , period.

WR- BM- I think he is a good player but his demeanor is a chaotic problem in the locker room. IF were a winning team with good leadership he could be managed, but going on 31 his he part of our future in a couple of years?

Jeffery- is a star on the rise, he regressed in year 2 but has a bright future.

Wilson hasnt proved much yet but will have some valve under the right coaching staff,but what will he be? a #3 or #4 on a good team?

WE HAVE NOTHING ELSE

OL-Bushrod, I think he is a below average serviceable player, he will keep his job only because of so many other holes to filll

Garza- at 35 can only go down going forward

Long- a star on the rise,I think he will be our future LT

Slauson- a better than average player coming off of injury

Mills- has failed as a starter, maybe a backup with the new regime

We need to resign DLP and Ola to at least give us some depth if not starting for sake of better players.

Defense:

DE- Allen, an old player that will only erode going forward. A situational PRer, thats about it at best.

Houston, if he plays like he did last year,he is a bust

Young- a good player but he is 29 coming off an injury. In three years he will start to go down hill

Bass, not sure he will still be around, shows a little promise.

DT- Radliff, I think his time has come to an end, a decent player but old and often injured.

Paea needs to be resigned, our best DT this year.

Sutton showed promise and could start going forward

Ferguson showed promise and could start going forward

LB- this is a total mess

Bostic, has failed so far, maybe the new regime can place him in the right spot be potential starter

Jones, has shown some promise and could be our future starting SLB

Greene probably wont be around, a bust

McClellan is simply a bust

S- where do we start

Conte is gone

Mundy may be a backup on a good team

Veeren, not sure what he is

Nothing else here

CB- Jennings is in trouble and not sure if he will be around with a potential suspension coming

Fuller shows promise as a potential starter on a good team

Hurst-Al Louis-Jean-McManis, not sure you have much here

ST- punter is young and upcoming, and Gould is good and 33

Evaluation: we have a complete rebuild coming , we have an old roster with most the players that are any good are old

Our players to build around: Long, Jeffery, Fuller, Young, Ferguson, Sutton, Slauson.

Anybody wishing to give me some more hope, Im listening.

Stinger,

The biggest holes to me are the need at Safety, LB (specifically MLB), CB, and OLine. If we can get starter caliber players (via Free Agency and the draft) in those areas this off season, I think that will be a great start. I think Pace is going to be aggressive and you will see a ton of transactions this offseason similar to what Seattle did a few years ago.

I figure we will see about 15 new players on the 53 man in 2015, and could have essentially a completely new roster/team going into 2017 besides the players you mentioned to build around. About 1/3 a year, with us better in year one, competitive in year two, and thinking deep playoff run in year three.

The only problem I see with us making a ton of moves, is aren't we really limited in terms of cap space? I know there is speculation about dumping Cutler and Marshall, but I believe that whomever we bring in will take a "wait and see" approach.

With everybody signed, we could have the same offensive starting line-up at the start of the season that we had in 2014.

On offense, we REALY need a #3 speed WR that can take the top off of a defense. Otherwise, the major changes will be on the defensive side of the ball where we draft a bunch of defensive players and fill in voids with veterans on the cheap.

Stinger,

The biggest holes to me are the need at Safety, LB (specifically MLB), CB, and OLine. If we can get starter caliber players (via Free Agency and the draft) in those areas this off season, I think that will be a great start. I think Pace is going to be aggressive and you will see a ton of transactions this offseason similar to what Seattle did a few years ago.

I figure we will see about 15 new players on the 53 man in 2015, and could have essentially a completely new roster/team going into 2017 besides the players you mentioned to build around. About 1/3 a year, with us better in year one, competitive in year two, and thinking deep playoff run in year three.

The only problem I see with us making a ton of moves, is aren't we really limited in terms of cap space? I know there is speculation about dumping Cutler and Marshall, but I believe that whomever we bring in will take a "wait and see" approach.

With everybody signed, we could have the same offensive starting line-up at the start of the season that we had in 2014.

On offense, we REALY need a #3 speed WR that can take the top off of a defense. Otherwise, the major changes will be on the defensive side of the ball where we draft a bunch of defensive players and fill in voids with veterans on the cheap.

We have the 10th most cap space this offseason without any other moves that could free up even more. Only 18 players have a cap hit over $1 million, so a lot of the moves occur on the bottom 2/3 of the roster (the other 35) making less than $1 million.

An example would be that we sign 2x high profile FA's, draft 5-6 players that make the roster, and acquire another 5-6 mid-lower level free agents that improve the backend of our roster.

We have the 10th most cap space this offseason without any other moves that could free up even more. Only 18 players have a cap hit over $1 million, so a lot of the moves occur on the bottom 2/3 of the roster (the other 35) making less than $1 million.

An example would be that we sign 2x high profile FA's, draft 5-6 players that make the roster, and acquire another 5-6 mid-lower level free agents that improve the backend of our roster.

We really have the 10th most cap space? The media keeps making it out that we are in cap hell because of all the bad contracts. Considering that we have every offfensive starter signed, that's pretty damn impressive.

We really have the 10th most cap space? The media keeps making it out that we are in cap hell because of all the bad contracts. Considering that we have every offfensive starter signed, that's pretty damn impressive.

All those bad contracts really didn't hurt m losing Peppers, Briggs, and Tillmans big deals frees up a lot of that.

Stinger,

I agree with your opinion and would like them to surprise me, but to be honest most teams that reverse the trend has high draft picks for several bad years and make the change. We have a long way to go.

I would like to see a complete rebuild. Get rid of all the older guys (Garza, Ratliff, Marshall, Cutler, Forte, Jennings, Allen) and use the next year or two to build the team back up again. If Pace is the GM the Bears hope he is, then you have to trust that he knows what he wants.

The Bears could do all of this and still be 5-11 next year and it would feel completely different. I don't know how realistic it is to think that they would do this (probably not) but you could get maybe some draft pick compensation if you traded Forte, Marshall, Jennings, and Cutler. Maybe a 4th for Marshall, a 5th for Forte, a 6th for Cutler, and a 7th for Jennings. More spins at the wheel; increase your chances. Why not?

Stinger,

The biggest hole on our roster is a DE who can rush the passer. We can do whatever we want at S, CB, LB but in coverage if we give QBs 4-5 sec to throw the ball it won't matter. Jared Allen is not going to get faster this offseason but I think he can be more effective with less snaps. Willie Young mostly gets coverage sacks but just had a severe injury that will likely cost him some quickness and agility throughout 2015. Houston was never that type of DE. We are left with hope that Washington continues to develop and Bass. The most talented player available in FA is Greg Hardy and he's facing serious domestic abuse charges. I think our new GM will stay away from that media circus, besides when you need a roster overhaul you don't gamble on a guy like Hardy in your first year.

Speculation on what we can do to address this really needs to wait on what scheme our new DC will be running.

The biggest hole on our roster is a DE who can rush the passer. We can do whatever we want at S, CB, LB but in coverage if we give QBs 4-5 sec to throw the ball it won't matter. Jared Allen is not going to get faster this offseason but I think he can be more effective with less snaps. Willie Young mostly gets coverage sacks but just had a severe injury that will likely cost him some quickness and agility throughout 2015. Houston was never that type of DE. We are left with hope that Washington continues to develop and Bass. The most talented player available in FA is Greg Hardy and he's facing serious domestic abuse charges. I think our new GM will stay away from that media circus, besides when you need a roster overhaul you don't gamble on a guy like Hardy in your first year.

Speculation on what we can do to address this really needs to wait on what scheme our new DC will be running.

Spot on, but you'll never convince some of these guys. The only thing they see is poor safety play when the DE doesn't get pressure.

With the coaching change about to be determined it is hard to come up with a plan of the defensive side of the ball. Two things are true tho, with with a 3/4 or 4/3 there needs to be upgrades at the Safety positions and Linebacker positions.

If they were to go to a 3/4 more upgrades would be needed at the linebacker position tho.

4-3

DE= with Allen, Houston and Young (if Houston and Young are healthy), Bass. I feel the Bears could get by at DE for a year

DT= Ratliff, Ego, Sutton and Paea (if resigned) I feel we could be ok here

LB= this one Im not sure on what to do here, who plays where who stays who goes, Jones MLB, Bostic WSB and SLB???? do you ride with SMC and hope for continued improvement?

CB= Jennings and Fuller as the starters Im good with

FS= Upgrade needed

SS= Upgrade needed

With better scheme and coaching the D should improve slightly. When there are so many needs all at once Pace will need to figure out which position is most important. A couple of things do into this :

1. Which position has a Strong class of FA

2. Which position has a strong draft class

3. Which positions have strong draft and FA classes next year

4. What route of FA signings will give the Bears the best chance of drafting BPA

5. Price of the FA, don't want to overspend

Cant wait to see who the HC is and what scheme we will be playing from here on out!!!

Spot on, but you'll never convince some of these guys. The only thing they see is poor safety play when the DE doesn't get pressure.

Da! Yes indeed "they see is poor safety play when the DE doesn't get pressure" so let's target the two spots while we're trying to fix this train wreck of a proud D franchise.

I'm one you won't convince. I believe the two are linked. There are plenty of teams who rely on their secondary to create coverage sacks just as often as they do from regular pressure. Further, when you have lock down corners, and rangy safeties who take great angles, it changes the abilities of the LBs to blitz and/or drop into coverage. Thought of another way...who were the world-beaters the Bears had at DE when Urlacher was displaying other-worldly range at MLB, and Mike Brown was taking great angles, and Peanut was locking down opposing #1 WRs? Look, I liked Ogun and Alex Brown, but they didn't make the secondary good. It was the other way around.

Tommie Harris was an impact when he was in top form. Also, Big Ted and Keith Traylor made a big difference on the DL. In fact, I liked that line-up far better with Url being able to get to the QB more.

But, damn do I really miss having Mike Brown. I'm still of the mindset missing him was what really brought the D down.... Url could almost make it happen w/o...but with Mike Brown in there...we were f-ing beastly.

I'm one you won't convince. I believe the two are linked. There are plenty of teams who rely on their secondary to create coverage sacks just as often as they do from regular pressure. Further, when you have lock down corners, and rangy safeties who take great angles, it changes the abilities of the LBs to blitz and/or drop into coverage. Thought of another way...who were the world-beaters the Bears had at DE when Urlacher was displaying other-worldly range at MLB, and Mike Brown was taking great angles, and Peanut was locking down opposing #1 WRs? Look, I liked Ogun and Alex Brown, but they didn't make the secondary good. It was the other way around.

With the coaching change about to be determined it is hard to come up with a plan of the defensive side of the ball. Two things are true tho, with with a 3/4 or 4/3 there needs to be upgrades at the Safety positions and Linebacker positions.

If they were to go to a 3/4 more upgrades would be needed at the linebacker position tho.

4-3

DE= with Allen, Houston and Young (if Houston and Young are healthy), Bass. I feel the Bears could get by at DE for a year

DT= Ratliff, Ego, Sutton and Paea (if resigned) I feel we could be ok here

LB= this one Im not sure on what to do here, who plays where who stays who goes, Jones MLB, Bostic WSB and SLB???? do you ride with SMC and hope for continued improvement?

CB= Jennings and Fuller as the starters Im good with

FS= Upgrade needed

SS= Upgrade needed

With better scheme and coaching the D should improve slightly. When there are so many needs all at once Pace will need to figure out which position is most important. A couple of things do into this :

1. Which position has a Strong class of FA

2. Which position has a strong draft class

3. Which positions have strong draft and FA classes next year

4. What route of FA signings will give the Bears the best chance of drafting BPA

5. Price of the FA, don't want to overspend

Cant wait to see who the HC is and what scheme we will be playing from here on out!!!

It could be argued that in a 3-4 we COULD already be set at LB. Jones and Bostic COULD make a good duo at ILB with Bostic being the one predominantly dropped into coverage and Jones being the one in for run support. Then at OLB we have a plethora of guys who could be worth trying out in what I'm viewing as a transition year. Young would be a lock, then you have SMC who should have been playing that position his whole career, Bass and Washington who certainly have the athleticism to play there, and maybe even Allen though I'm just not so sure he's got the speed.

A 3-4 DE might be a bigger need to pair with Houston.

It's football, everything is linked and that's one reason I love this sport. We can differ on the priority. I prefer to fix the line and pass rush as a priority over fixing the secondary. Doesn't mean you can't, or shouldn't, do both this offseason. If I have two players equally rated in the draft, DE and S, available when I pick I'm taking the DE.

We are no longer in a win now plan so I'll accept our new GMs belief in taking the BPA and use FA to backfill gaps on your roster. Short term that will leave some talent gaps on the roster. Long term we'll have better players we've drafted and it'll be easier and cheaper to fill gaps via FA since (in theory) we'll have our really-good to blue-chip players on the roster via the draft. Despite all the needs on defense I won't be upset one bit if he chooses a LT with our 1st Rd pick this year. I will be equally happy if he says BPA was Landon Collins and drafts him. Neither decision would change what I think is the biggest need on defense.

One problem is that you need to fix one to make the individual unit better. So what do you take your chance on? If you go DL, you disrupt up front and potentially help the run D as well as the defensive backfield. If you go DB, you possibly help the DL by giving them more time. One good pass rusher can help the DL, while our backfield needs more.

I agree that a Elite DE who have the biggest impact on the team, but think we need a stud MLB to be a team leader and stop the awful run defense we have.