Schefter: Bears high on Gary Kubiak per sources

adam

Bears prepared to make a major push for Ravens OC Gary Kubiak, per source. Kubiak now free to talk with teams about HC vacancies.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/554307516868595712

I heard early reports that he was not interested, but that was before the Ravens were eliminated. I would not be opposed to him, and like it was mentioned in another thread, he does have ties to Cutler/Marshall from Denver.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 13m13 minutes ago

Bears prepared to make a major push for Ravens OC Gary Kubiak, per source. Kubiak now free to talk with teams about HC vacancies.

EDIT: Someone change the thread title to "HIGH" not "HIRE" lol. My mistake.

Thoughts?

With Rex Ryan accepting the Bills job, I doubt he keeps Schwartz as the DC.

HC- Kubiak

OC- Dennison

DC- Schwartz

That would be something. I still prefer a 3-4 defense, but Schwartz has a proven track record for successful defense. He built the Lions to where they are today and transformed the Bills D in one year to a top 5 D. As long as he's not the HC, you don't have to worry about him.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/554307516868595712

I heard early reports that he was not interested, but that was before the Ravens were eliminated. I would not be opposed to him, and like it was mentioned in another thread, he does have ties to Cutler/Marshall from Denver.

He has head coaching experience, if Pace thinks he is the best choice, lets see where it goes.

Wanting to interview him doesnt mean he is our guy.

Those ties are exactly why I don't want him.

Actually it would be a good thing, because Kubiak would have first hand knowledge on Cutler and his QB/leadership traits. I don't think he would be biased one way or the other. He might come in and tell Pace that there is no way we can win with Cutler and he is gone, or he might say I know how to get the most out of him. As Pace said, we just want the best guy for the job, regardless of previous ties.

I think Cutler's faults are well known around the league considering the number of OC interviews that Trestman had this year. Kubiak is one of the few HC candidates that actually may want to keep him around, more than a stop gap. We know Shanny still thinks Cutler is a franchise QB.

I don't want to see a team plan around Cutler being their QB for the next 3 or 4 years again. I definitely won't be watching the games as religiously if they do.

Actually it would be a good thing, because Kubiak would have first hand knowledge on Cutler and his QB/leadership traits. I don't think he would be biased one way or the other. He might come in and tell Pace that there is no way we can win with Cutler and he is gone, or he might say I know how to get the most out of him. As Pace said, we just want the best guy for the job, regardless of previous ties.

Agreed. I'd love this hire. We are a veteran team that is still in "win-now" mode. We have to have a head-coach with experience. Not to mention, with most of our money and talent on the offensive side of the ball, I'f prefer a head-coach with an offensive back-ground to get the most our of them.

Kubiak certainly did not impress me in his first stint as HC with the Texans.

That being said, many excellent HCs have struggled with their 1st opportunity, learned from their mistakes, and went on to excel.

So I am a bit on the fence with this call.

EDIT: Someone change the thread title to "HIGH" not "HIRE" lol. My mistake.

Thoughts?

With Rex Ryan accepting the Bills job, I doubt he keeps Schwartz as the DC.

HC- Kubiak

OC- Dennison

DC- Schwartz

That would be something. I still prefer a 3-4 defense, but Schwartz has a proven track record for successful defense. He built the Lions to where they are today and transformed the Bills D in one year to a top 5 D. As long as he's not the HC, you don't have to worry about him.

You want a 3-4 eh? How's about a Kubiak/Wade Phillips reunion? As I stated a little while ago there's also the connection to Herring who I think is still employed by the Bears.

You want a 3-4 eh? How's about a Kubiak/Wade Phillips reunion? As I stated a little while ago there's also the connection to Herring who I think is still employed by the Bears.

Aside from getting a big fat defensive tackle, in terms of personnel, how hard would it be for us to transform into a 3-4 D?

I think Cutler's faults are well known around the league considering the number of OC interviews that Trestman had this year. Kubiak is one of the few HC candidates that actually may want to keep him around, more than a stop gap. We know Shanny still thinks Cutler is a franchise QB.

I don't want to see a team plan around Cutler being their QB for the next 3 or 4 years again. I definitely won't be watching the games as religiously if they do.

Hopefully the hire is someone that can make Cutler better for 2 years, but will also be a great HC beyond that thought. Targeting a coach just for Jay cannot be a reason for choosing your HC. I think Pace has that in mind. I think Kubiak is being mentioned because his offense revolves around a running game. Pace mentioned about getting the Bears back to its roots of defense and running. Having a strong run game, like Seattle, Dallas, and even GB helps any QB. Who knows, maybe having this type of offense will have you rigorously watching if they become relevant again.

Kubiaks style blocking was also mentioned years ago earlier to get the most out of Fortes style of running.

Hopefully the hire is someone that can make Cutler better for 2 years, but will also be a great HC beyond that thought. Targeting a coach just for Jay cannot be a reason for choosing your HC. I think Pace has that in mind. I think Kubiak is being mentioned because his offense revolves around a running game. Pace mentioned about getting the Bears back to its roots of defense and running. Having a strong run game, like Seattle, Dallas, and even GB helps any QB. Who knows, maybe having this type of offense will have you rigorously watching if they become relevant again.

Kubiaks style blocking was also mentioned years ago earlier to get the most out of Fortes style of running.

That plan sounds awesome. Imagine if Dallas had dumped their 100+ million $$ quarterback for Johnny Football?

If we were re-focused on a running game, imagine how damn dangerous BM, AJ, and Martellus would be.

As far as I know, the Cowboys were never going to dump Romo. They were going to go the Aaron Rodgers route. That wouldn't have been a horrible idea, considering Romo will be 35 this year and if Manziel was actually going to be a good QB one day.

Learning behind Romo would be good for any young QB. He is one of the best in the league. Cutler isn't half the QB that Romo is.

That plan sounds awesome. Imagine if Dallas had dumped their 100+ million $$ quarterback for Johnny Football?

If we were re-focused on a running game, imagine how damn dangerous BM, AJ, and Martellus would be.

Those guys are great blockers too for WRs. We have a good shot at the best OT in the draft. I know we need D, but if your first pick as a GM can anchor your oline for 10 years, that would be a great start to being a successful GM. Round two, there should be great talent left for LB or S.

I think it relevant to say that Kubiak was successful in getting Forsett into a viable running back after losing Ray Rice. And when in Houston making Ben Tate look like an all around carry the load back. (I know I was fooled).

At any rate, I don't get the warm fuzzier as I do with some other HC candidates but I could see him being a good hire. For the record if he's hired I hope he doesn't bring Schwartz or Phillips as the DC. Hell I'd like Dick Lebeau long before that.

I think Ferguson can be a good NT in a 3-4.

Ya, I really think he's stout enough to handle it, and remember Ratliff played the nose under Phillips as well.

Looking at Wades 2011 D that ranked 2nd, the NT on that team was Shaun Cody who was listed at 6'4" 294.

As for other positions I really think we'd be in the same boat but instead of a MLB (I happen to think Bostic/Jones would be a solid ILB combo) we would be looking at an OLB....and that's if they don't wanna give SMC, Washington, Bass, or maybe even Allen( who would otherwise be cut) a shot opppsite of Young. Actually, in a transition year, it might make some sense to give one of those guys a shot vs grabbing an early rounder.

But ya we would still need a corner and a safety regardless.

As far as I know, the Cowboys were never going to dump Romo. They were going to go the Aaron Rodgers route. That wouldn't have been a horrible idea, considering Romo will be 35 this year and if Manziel was actually going to be a good QB one day.

Learning behind Romo would be good for any young QB. He is one of the best in the league. Cutler isn't half the QB that Romo is.

I think you underestimate how unhappy Dallas fans were with Romo and that he received a big chunk of the blame for their failure. Maybe they weren't going to immediately dump Romo for Manziel, but they were certainly hoping to upgrade.

Romo falls in that quarterback of QB's who fans love when their team is winning, and they absolutely hate when the team loses. I'd put Cutler in that category. Also, guys like Mathew Stafford, Phillip Rivers, Andy Dalton . . . when he's not winning Super Bowls, Eli Manning also falls here.