Mularkey requested for interview

'TD'

Mike GarafoloVerified account

‏@MikeGarafolo

John Fox and the Bears expected to try to interview Mike Mularkey as OC, source says. Titans denied TB's request. Let's see what happens.

Reply Retweet Favorite

More

RETWEETS

FAVORITES

Philip Amodei™Miguel ToledanoJT Marlin InvestmentReed BeckerZach Withersclay phillipsDaniel HernandezMarcus WhitlowJake Dubin

12:14 PM - 16 Jan 2015

http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/baltimor...-system-part-2/

Summary

The E-P system is a simple one. Take what the defense will give you. You can be a power running team one week, a spread out air raid offense the next, a balanced attack that keeps teams guessing the next. You can put up points in a hurry, or slow the pace down to a crawl. It doesn’t need specific personnel. Since specific types of players aren’t required, it opens up more possibilities when drafting players or signing free agents. For a team that drafts best player available and not necessarily positional need, like the Ravens, this is a great fit. In fact, in the modern NFL where players are changing teams all the time, and some guys are fits at multiple positions, it’s anyone’s best guess why teams would still chose to run offenses with little wiggle room for personnel changes.

This is from an article about the type of offense Mularkey runs and other teams in the league that run the system. The article was a pretty good read.

whoever we get I trust Fox's judgement and something that makes me smile is that our team will have an identity, a sense of direction.

Last year it was hard to figure out what we were trying to do or thinking it just seemed like a chicken with it's head cut off. One thing Fox and his staff will bring is a sense of order and direction.

Can't deny an upward promotion...can deny anything else...

That is not correct, that only applies to Head Coaches:

The rule is pretty simple. A team can’t block an assistant coach, including a coordinator, from interviewing for and accepting a job as a head coach. All other moves, including from assistant coach to coordinator, can be blocked.

It’s not unusual for a team to let a position coach interview for a coordinator position and to let that coach walk if he gets the offer. Organizations that get a reputation for blocking their coaches from advancing their careers could well find themselves having difficulty in hiring good assistants. So they usually will go along.

Scratch him off the list, so now Shanahan and Gase?

I'd include Doug Marone on that list.

Before Fox was hired, there was speculation that it would be Shanahan as the OC and Dennis Allen as the DC. Shanahan declined to interview with San Fran which led me to believe it was pretty much a done deal. I wouldn't be surprised if Shanny has agreed but we just haven't announced it.

I REALLY don't get the infatuation with Gase or want him here as OC. With Peyton Manning, I could have been successful as Denver's OC, and I promise, you wouldn't want me leading the Bear's offense.